Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Call It Like You See It: NCAA 133 lbs.?
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 22, 2019

Who is your pick to win it all and why?

Desanto defeats Suriano.

Suriano defeats Phillipi.

Phillipi defeats Fix.

Fix defeats Gomez.

Gomez defeats Desanto.

Lizak, Pletcher, Micic, Wilson, etc.

What a glorious spectacle!

I’m going with Pletcher on a “1 Point Win Sherman’s March to the Sea” campaign, point-by-point match at a time because I am not equipped to sort the rest of it out and like a systematic gameplan.

BTW-Does anybody remember that year that the 112 lbs. DII weight class was brimming with returning SQ, SP, and SCs? Maybe a guy named Joe Joltin won it? Am I off in my recollection?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on January 22, 2019

I can't address your query about the weight class with Joe Joltin but I do have a story about him.
I went down to Hubbard to do a match between Hubbard and Liberty. I was told that there was a terrific lightweight on the team and to watch out for him. He won his match that night but nothing really stood out. By the end of the season, he was a State Champion.
A year later he was a two time champ.
We get to his senior year and his team was at Jackson Milton for their annual tournament. Joltin won but, to me, he looked "flat". I remember telling my brother that something just didn't look right and that he was going to have to step it up to win a third title. I have no idea what the problem might have been but that third title was not achieved.

At 133 this year, who knows? I don't have the same feeling regarding Pletcher as you do (I wish I did). Too many close matches and that usually catches up with you.
Tons of talent in that weight but I hope they wrestle to win instead of trying not to lose (like Fix and Suriano).

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 22, 2019

What a weight, and this is without the returning champ. I think very highly of Micic. Give me a Micic - Fix final which will be high scoring and a ton of fun.

Micic - 11
Fix - 10

Obviously I'm a Pletcher fan, my concern would be wrestling so many close matches creates opportunity for upsets. Hard to win 5 straight matches against elite competition in that fashion.

Obviously I have Mario Guillen placing 3rd.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 22, 2019

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"What a weight, and this is without the returning champ. I think very highly of Micic. Give me a Micic - Fix final which will be high scoring and a ton of fun.

Micic - 11
Fix - 10

Obviously I'm a Pletcher fan, my concern would be wrestling so many close matches creates opportunity for upsets. Hard to win 5 straight matches against elite competition in that fashion.

Obviously I have Mario Guillen placing 3rd."

It might happen between Micic and Fix but I don't see it being high scoring. Fix has wrestled #2 and #5 and hasn't scored a TD on either and I don't think he took a shot against Suriano. He seems to be lacking confidence in his O right now.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on January 22, 2019

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"
BTW-Does anybody remember that year that the 112 lbs. DII weight class was brimming with returning SQ, SP, and SCs? Maybe a guy named Joe Joltin won it? Am I off in my recollection?"

In my recollection, DII 119 in 2002 was the toughest, deepest weight class in the history of the OHSAA tournament...

https://www.ohsaa.org/sports/wr/boys/2002/bd2rslt02.htm

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 22, 2019

Micic, Fix and Suriano still sit atop this weight with Phillipi making the most noise as a darkhorse. Suriano has lost twice but the Desanto loss was a Carver Hawkeye special and the Fix match was a ref's decision.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on January 22, 2019

I'll take Phillippi. Ranked #2 right now, seems very cool under pressure.
Micic is wrestling very tough this year. We'll see where Pletcher is at this Friday. I'm hoping he can pull it off and beat Micic. Would make winning the dual a lot easier.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Micic, Fix and Suriano still sit atop this weight with Phillipi making the most noise as a darkhorse. Suriano has lost twice but the Desanto loss was a Carver Hawkeye special and the Fix match was a ref's decision."

I know this is not going to be the popular opinion but a "ref's decision" had nothing to do with the loss unless you mean a decision to call the penalty.
The decision was Suriano's to hit his opponents face below the eyes when that has been a UNR call all season.
You can disagree with the rule but until it is changed, it is a rule.
Also keep in mind that to not decide is to decide.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 22, 2019

Quote from Rick Wasmer's post:

"I'll take Phillippi. Ranked #2 right now, seems very cool under pressure.
Micic is wrestling very tough this year. We'll see where Pletcher is at this Friday. I'm hoping he can pull it off and beat Micic. Would make winning the dual a lot easier."

And NCAAs is hosted by PITT this year. That's worth, like, a point or two in the quarters and semis. Just saying.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on January 22, 2019

Bravo-Young - impressive in beating Suriano.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on January 22, 2019

Quote from J.P. Barner's post:

"Bravo-Young - impressive in beating Suriano."

To the best of my knowledge they haven't wrestled.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 22, 2019

Quote from J.P. Barner's post:

"Bravo-Young - impressive in beating Suriano."

They never wrestled but he did beat Milhoff from ASU 14-1 other then that his next best win is against kid from VT.

He was beating Gomez pretty good before getting tossed and pinned.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 22, 2019

Jim: I meant he lost on a penalty point. I agree that the ref made the correct call.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Jim: I meant he lost on a penalty point. I agree that the ref made the correct call."

Hank,
Got it and thanx.
BTW, I am pretty certain I am in the minority on this but I am in favor of the rule.
We always have a tough time because you do not want to penalize one wrestler over another on things like this so, if it is a penalty for everyone that works for me.
The problem with "warnings" is that often the damage is done before a warning can be issued.
What I am seeing is that guys are blocking on the shoulders more instead of the head.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 22, 2019

The way things are going I think Pletcher has a good shot. If I had to pick it would be Fix.

I totally discount DeSanto because I think at Big Tens or early in NCAAs he will do something stupid to get DQ’d. We know what a poor loser he is (Micic last year) and he’s not much better as a winner.

This year refs are watching.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next