Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. Northwestern
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 1, 2019

My thoughts:

125 - Rivera techs whomever steps on the mat for OSU. 5-0 NU

133 - Pletcher gets a decision. 5-3 NU

141 - McKenna beats Ragon...maybe a major. 8-3 NU

149 - Micah majors Thomas (I know Thomas took Lugo to OT, but Micah pours it on in the third. 8-7 NU

157 - Deakin beats Hayes. 11-7 NU

165 - Campbell majors Moreland. 11-11

174 - Smith beats Sebastian. 14-11 OSU

184 - Martin pins Devine. 20-11 OSU

197 - Moore majors Chakonis. 24-11 OSU

285 - Jennings beats Singletary. 24-14 OSU

Northwestern gets 3 guaranteed wins, and likely a 4th if McKenna is out. I think the Bucks take the other 6 and get a lot more bonus than NU.

Go Bucks.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 1, 2019

Going forward, I like Campbell at 165 and Smith at 174. Campbell may not win against ranked guys, but he is very unlikely to give up bonus points, which you can't say about anyone else they put out there. That is one strong dude. And he is capable of pulling an upset if he can get his tilts working. I like the move.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on February 1, 2019

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"My thoughts:

149 - Micah majors Thomas (I know Thomas took Lugo to OT, but Micah pours it on in the third. 8-7 NU

Northwestern gets 3 guaranteed wins, and likely a 4th if McKenna is out. I think the Bucks take the other 6 and get a lot more bonus than NU.

Go Bucks."

I think 125 and 157 are guaranteed for Northwestern, but I think those are the only guarantees if McKenna wrestles. Singletary beat Jennings at the CKLV, but he is ranked lower, so I think 285 is a tossup.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 1, 2019

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

"

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"My thoughts:

Go Bucks."

I think 125 and 157 are guaranteed for Northwestern, but I think those are the only guarantees if McKenna wrestles. Singletary beat Jennings at the CKLV, but he is ranked lower, so I think 285 is a tossup."

According to twitter McKenna will not wrestle and is listed as day to day.

David Rourke added to this discussion on February 1, 2019

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"...Campbell may not win against ranked guys, but he is very unlikely to give up bonus points, which you can't say about anyone else they put out there..."

No guarantee with Campbell not giving up bonus. He did get DQ'd for stalling against MSU last year!?!?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 2, 2019

He also has a history of keeping matches close against some very good wrestlers. Romero, for whatever reason, is not performing like you would expect a 4-timer to perform. You have to go with Campbell, where you have some sort of chance to win. Tonight was a perfect example of why the switch has to be made.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 2, 2019

"He also has a history of keeping matches close against some very good wrestlers. Romero, for whatever reason, is not performing like you would expect a 4-timer to perform. You have to go with Campbell, where you have some sort of chance to win. Tonight was a perfect example of why the switch has to be made."

I agree that Romero has issues. But it doesn't help when your opponent is allowed to stall the entire match and the official allows it. Perhaps if Gunther had been forced to open up, we'd have seen more scoring? Credit to Romero for getting out on bottom without yielding riding time.

If Ryan thinks he'll get more out of Campbell, make the switch. I'm not sure how much difference there is between Romero, Smith and Campbell.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on February 3, 2019

Man, Pletcher wins but got ridden like a mule in the 3rd. Wow. He will feel that tomorrow!

First two periods he looked solid.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on February 3, 2019

Where has Mead been? Is he now behind Lucas as well?

Steve Durose added to this discussion on February 3, 2019

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

"He also has a history of keeping matches close against some very good wrestlers. Romero, for whatever reason, is not performing like you would expect a 4-timer to perform. You have to go with Campbell, where you have some sort of chance to win. Tonight was a perfect example of why the switch has to be made."

I agree that Romero has issues. But it doesn't help when your opponent is allowed to stall the entire match and the official allows it. Perhaps if Gunther had been forced to open up, we'd have seen more scoring? Credit to Romero for getting out on bottom without yielding riding time.

If Ryan thinks he'll get more out of Campbell, make the switch. I'm not sure how much difference there is between Romero, Smith and Campbell."

I have to disagree with your take on Gunther/Romero. While I agree that Gunther didn't do much,at least he continued to take ground while Romero kept backing up.Gunther got out in 3 seconds to start the second. Three seconds! It's hard for me to believe someone could watch Ethan Smith and Kaleb and not see the difference. And I say this with all due respect for Brady and Hank, who both know more about wrestling than I ever will.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on February 3, 2019

Smith looked sharp today.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on February 3, 2019

I would be much less concerned about Romero if he were a true freshman.
The young man has the talent. I am certainly pulling for him to figure it out and begin wrestling up to his potential.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 4, 2019

Quote from Steve Durose's post:

"I have to disagree with your take on Gunther/Romero. While I agree that Gunther didn't do much,at least he continued to take ground while Romero kept backing up.Gunther got out in 3 seconds to start the second. Three seconds! It's hard for me to believe someone could watch Ethan Smith and Kaleb and not see the difference. And I say this with all due respect for Brady and Hank, who both know more about wrestling than I ever will."

With my relationship with Kaleb, I'll never comment on him or about any line-up discussions, etc (other than saying I'd always rather watch Kaleb wrestle than any other Buckeye - which is always truthful).

What I love about this site is that when critiques are made, they aren’t the incredibly stupid pot shots like other sites - which I now just scroll by the threads. We can all make honest critiques of the guys because we went them and the Buckeyes to be the absolute best possible version of themselves.

College wrestling is hard. DI is incredibly hard. B1G is diamond hard. I'm glad I'm done with those days - because so many of those days were really really rough.

Love this site - and looking forward to hosting the NCAA Pick'Em contest again. And if anybody for some crazy reason can't use their NCAA tickets and needs to sell them, PM me - a couple of my former wrestlers are looking.

Last edited by Brady Hiatt on February 4, 2019; edited 1 time in total

Alex Creech added to this discussion on February 4, 2019

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"What I love about this site is that when critiques are made, they are the incredibly stupid pot shots "

well ok then

:)

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on February 4, 2019

Last edited by Chris Thomas on February 4, 2019; edited 2 times in total

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next