Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Iowa Wrestling
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 25, 2019

Question for all the sharp folks on this forum:

Is Spencer Lee off his game? Or has he been figured out?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on February 25, 2019

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"The anti-Iowa sentiment on this forum is comical. You take issue with Desanto raising a hand but have zero concerns about Chandler Rogers dancing on the mat after pinning Bowman?
"

Ethan,
Since part of this was apparently directed at me, I will address my thoughts.
I will make it as clear as I can that I don't give a crap about Iowa one way or the other. I like to see good wrestling and if they do it I am fine with that. I did not see the dance so I can not make a meaningful comment.
DeSanto is a great wrestling talent but he comes across like a punk or a school yard bully. He was the same way last year at Drexel and has acted out several times this year. After all, what does one have to do to get suspended by Tom Brands? Whatever it is, he did it.
If all he did was wrestle, I would love to watch him but what you find is yourself waiting for him to do something stupid or illegal.
You have every right to like that type of wrestling. I do not. As I said, to me that was baiting for a call. The mat official viewed it differently.
My feelings are not anti-Iowa at all. If you read it that way, you read it wrong.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 25, 2019

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Question for all the sharp folks on this forum:

Is Spencer Lee off his game? Or has he been figured out?"

yes definitely "off his game", ranks with Cary Kolat as the 2 best PA wrestlers ive ever seen, however he has wrestled soooooooo many matches in his career and had many operations incl shoulder and knee. Maybe that is what caught up to him.

From AmWrNews 2 years ago:
Lee a 2015 Junior World champion and 2014 Cadet World champion was dominant at 50 kg at the 2016 USAWR Junior Nationals winning all three of his matches with first-period 10-0 technical falls. Then at Junior Worlds he amazingly added his third World title. But a rude surprise lay ahead.

At the Pennsylvania state tournament this anything-can-happen scenario was proven again as Spencer Lee, one of the very greatest high school wrestler’s of all-time, suffered the first loss of his high school career in the finals at the Giant Center in Hershey. Lee was going for his fourth state crown, but lost to fellow senior Austin DeSanto of Exeter in the big school 3A 126-pound championship match, 6-5.

DeSanto scored two takedowns in the last half-minute, the final one at the buzzer after tieing the score with 29 seconds left with a takedown then leting Lee go for a chance at the winning takedown. With the decisive takedown at the buzzer, officials had to confer to verify the call. DeSanto avenged a loss to Lee by technical fall in the 120 finals at last year's state tournament. DeSanto, 53-0, signed with Drexel and became Exeter's first state champ with a career 188-7 record.

Lee was wearing a leg brace, having suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament during the season. DeSanto told InterMat’s Mark Palmer, "You could see his knee, he was favoring it the whole time. I just kind of feel bad for him. But at the same time, I'm excited for myself. I worked every day after that tech fall to beat him and I got my dream I guess." All reports have Lee fit and ready to compete at Iowa next Fall.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 25, 2019

His counter wrestling was off the chart last year, not so much this year. He gets taken down by the elite guys.

Not wrestling as well or with as much confidence against the top guys.

That being said, Picc has Daton Fix as a training partner and had to get better or stay the same. He chose to get better. Northwestern always puts together a scrappy team with some top tier wrestlers. Their coaches develop talent. Big Tens will tell the tale whether he is just in a valley and ready to return to a peak or whether something is not right. I suspect that DeSanto is not the right person for him in the room to really develop his talent against.

Let me explain; If you wrestle a kid with ADD, it's going to show or become evident in your wrestling. Your timing will be off, your pace will be hyperspeed and you won't prepare for most wrestlers. There is a certain flow to things that must take place in order to not only develop but to excel. If you think about the way DeSanto wrestles, you will default to an emphasis on brawling over technical skills. Lee was incredible technically last year. He has shown some great wrestling this year, but something is off. In my opinion, it is the stimulus (via training partner) he has for growth.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 25, 2019

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"I suspect that DeSanto is not the right person for him in the room to really develop his talent against."

I suspect this as well.

What about burnout? Spencer Lee has been a top stud since his grade school days. A friend tells me a story about him showing up to a workout at The Barn in Elyria when he was around 12. He came three hours to practice and had a cast on his hand (Logan Stieber was there so that was the attraction). So, Lee arrives at Iowa, wrestles brilliantly, wins it all...and now what? Couldn't he just be tired? I think we could be seeing the same thing with Zahid Valencia as well.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 25, 2019

I have to believe Logan and Nate might have been good lightweights with which to train.

Roe: Good point.

I don't know if Desanto has ADD but his personality fits someone on the high end of the autism spectrum.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 26, 2019

I have read that it is Asperger's; I wrote ADD as it describes his relentless, high motor, throw the kitchen sink at them style. You have to find the right culture in order to maximize your development. Otherwise you might get stuck in wrestling purgatory. Some overriding variables of culture within the college program is your coach, training partners and structure of practice. If one of those doesn't work it affects the sum total of your development. I was naïve when I went to ASU and I got lucky with Randleman at OSU. So, yes Desanto was not there last year but everything else was pretty much the same. Draw your own conclusions.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 26, 2019

Lee's cardio/energy level seem very low. Even in wins he's often way up in the first then hangs on.

After the first flurry I saw him walk slowly back to the middle, and after a restart in the 2nd he had his hands on his knees. Perhaps a RS would be a good idea next season?

In addition, these top coaches and wrestlers have a great 'game plan' for Lee.

I don't think you can knock development, he won one of the toughest weights as a true FR in dominating fashion.

This all could be forgotten if he is standing atop the podium next month. Anyone betting against him? I'm not.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 26, 2019

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"... Anyone betting against him? I'm not."

Not I, said the horse.

I understand that anything can happen, but until he’s defeated at the NCAAs, he’s my guy to win it all.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 26, 2019

i'd like the stats on how many guys repeat as NCAA champs, excluding the guys who win it as seniors. How many who come back to wrestle the year after winning it are able to win 2 in a row??? interesting question ive never seen addressed before.

i'm beting about 50% do Not repeat the next year, its very tough to do it again..... i know the Penn st cadre Retherford, Nickal, Joseph, Nolf have all done it, Hall didnt. But that group is not norm, its once in a generation.

Pucillo didnt, Tomasello didnt, Myles Martin didnt, Dustin Schlatter didnt-- the Kent st 197 iforgthisname didnt-- David Taylor won 2 but not in a row--- Logan Stieber & Jaggers & Dean Heil did.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 26, 2019

Re: Spencer Lee

He is often in a "defensive splits" position when his opponent executes a solid leg attack.

Piccininni shelved that front leg masterfully for the cradle; I think Spencer is quite vulnerable going forward from this position.

Thoughts?

Luke Moore added to this discussion on February 26, 2019

I will take Lee to stand on top of the podium in a few weeks!

Alex Creech added to this discussion on February 26, 2019

Quote from Reed Vetovitz's post:

"
2. as a highly paid coach at a prestigious institution of higher learning accepts creationism over evolution.
The whole #PositiveInfinity crap makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit."

He still loves you.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next