Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: My main problem with Tom Ryan
Reed Vetovitz added to this discussion on February 28, 2019

Please tell me why I shouldn't think less of Tom Ryan as a result of the following events that took place this past summer. I'd love to like the head coach of my favorite college wrestling team.

Let's go back to July 6, 2018 when the news regarding Dr. Strauss was breaking. Check out Jim Jordan's interview. I recommend watching the whole thing, but if you don't have time, skip to the 2:00 mark. Jim Jordan basically calls the former OSU wrestlers liars.

https://insider.foxnews.com/2018/07/06/jim-jordan-responds-allegations-he-ignored-sexual-abuse-ohio-state-wrestling-coach

Check out Tom Ryan's tweet two days later where he is referencing the claims being made by former OSU wrestlers that Jim Jordan was aware of Strauss' behavior.

"Defamation of Character comes with serious consequences. One of the least tough things one human can do to another is make false claims against them! #positveinfinity"

Jim Jordan was an assistant coach at the time. In my opinion, he had very little responsibility for dealing with the actions of Strauss and the troubling conditions in the training facility. That stuff was WAY above his pay grade. He probably knew that Hellickson was aware it, was responsible for dealing with it, and likely would deal with it in an appropriate manner (didn't happen). Most of us, put in a similar situation back in 1990's, probably would have responded the same way Jim Jordan did.

However, in response to the claims by the former OSU wrestlers, Jim Jordan could have honestly said "Look, I heard things around the team that I didn't take seriously enough at the time, and I deeply regret it." Instead, he chose to effectively call the former OSU wrestlers liars. Two days later, Tom Ryan basically did the same thing with his tweet...called the former OSU wrestlers liars.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: My main problem with Tom Ryan
Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 1, 2019

Quote from Reed Vetovitz's post:

"Please tell me why I shouldn't think less of Tom Ryan as a result of the following events that took place this past summer. I'd love to like the head coach of my favorite college wrestling team.

Let's go back to July 6, 2018 when the news regarding Dr. Strauss was breaking. Check out Jim Jordan's interview. I recommend watching the whole thing, but if you don't have time, skip to the 2:00 mark. Jim Jordan basically calls the former OSU wrestlers liars.

https://insider.foxnews.com/2018/07/06/jim-jordan-responds-allegations-he-ignored-sexual-abuse-ohio-state-wrestling-coach

Check out Tom Ryan's tweet two days later where he is referencing the claims being made by former OSU wrestlers that Jim Jordan was aware of Strauss' behavior.

"Defamation of Character comes with serious consequences. One of the least tough things one human can do to another is make false claims against them! #positveinfinity"

Jim Jordan was an assistant coach at the time. In my opinion, he had very little responsibility for dealing with the actions of Strauss and the troubling conditions in the training facility. That stuff was WAY above his pay grade. He probably knew that Hellickson was aware it, was responsible for dealing with it, and likely would deal with it in an appropriate manner (didn't happen). Most of us, put in a similar situation back in 1990's, probably would have responded the same way Jim Jordan did.

However, in response to the claims by the former OSU wrestlers, Jim Jordan could have honestly said "Look, I heard things around the team that I didn't take seriously enough at the time, and I deeply regret it." Instead, he chose to effectively call the former OSU wrestlers liars. Two days later, Tom Ryan basically did the same thing with his tweet...called the former OSU wrestlers liars."

“Basically calls,” “probably knew” “effectively call” “basically did”

MAGA - Make Accusations with Grounded Authority (I know, a stretch)

As I recall, and I’m not going back because it has been hashed out ad nauseum, he didn’t say they lied about the abuse but that he was aware. You acknowledge by your language that it is a guess he knew. I certainly don’t know what he knew. Jordan defended himself and TR chose to support a wrestling icon, sitting congressman and, likely, friend, though I don’t know that for sure, either.

And for that you believe TR (not Jordan) is a bad man. Careful, there may come a time someone uses conjecture and extrapolation to impute your otherwise good character.

I’m am glad your “main problem with Tom Ryan” isn’t the exercise of the religion he chooses(or doesn’t choose).

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion