Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Commitment to the sport
Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on March 2, 2019

This is a thought provoking read. It brings up the age old question of “multi-sport athletes”.

I’m a football coach at a very small school, similar to the one Branch came from. Today I will go watch two of the best football players on my team wrestle at Districts. Both will punch their ticket to Columbus. Neither will go to Fargo this year, because of commitments to football.

Thoughts?
http://matbossapp.hs-sites.com/blog/how-do-college-wrestling-coaches-view-fargo

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Commitment to the sport
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 2, 2019

Leo,
i have a lot of thoughts, for many years starting in 1995 or so i went annually to fargo (now im old & disdain travel for comforts of home, i hate airports, lol) ...i learned plenty at Fargo and i'm no coach.

...But i could see the value of a wrestler and a coach both being there in person. Your showing the coach that u are dedicated to wrestling. He is seeing the real U.

...A college coach can approach & TALK to a kid, cant do that at the state tournament.

...its a GRIND, survival of the toughest & fitest. U might wrestle 6 or 7 matches in short order in a day or u might be humbled and exit quicky. In my era it was pool seeding, no telling who you'd be paired with. Great kids could meet early.

...Back then u could lose then come back and still get to the finals like Alan Fried did one year (lol, i see why he asked Branch about his Fargo record), now its bracket wrestling like college.

...But, imo, it was even tougher in the 90s, early 2000's, with fewer wt classes then. AND sometimes top seniors would go to Fargo, now they often don't, instead they enroll in college early.

...Drew Pariano, at the time Northwestern coach, told me he was looking at athleticism and MENTAL aspects. Who was resilient after a loss, who was tough, who fought hard, who had poise & determination. When u stand matside u see the raw emotions. U don't stand matside at the Ohio state tourn.

...Tom Brands simply told me he was "looking for TUDE" aka attitude.

...Up close & personal a coach can see a kids height & build, what are his physical limitations, what wt does he PROJECT to in college.

...in the 90s the freestyle moves on top e.g. leg lace, gut wrench were a big deal, as was par terre, so translating to college style was a bit more difficult-- but now its a takedown, handfight and defend game, so there is more translation.

...but one major college skill WONT be seen in Fargo: folkstyle top & bottom. So fargo is not perfect in revealing all aspects but it is a Must-See-In-Person for the best college programs. And the serious wrestlers will go especially for CADETS, the younger high school kids tourn. Thats where reps are made.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion