Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: MAC Tournament
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 11, 2019

OH and Kent competed this weekend.

I believe both have two Qualifiers as of now:

OU - Kelly and Parker
Kent - Rooney and McNally

HUGE props to Cam Kelly. He was the 2 seed, was thrown and pinned in 25 seconds in round 1. Wrestled all the way back for 3rd, and had to beat a returning AA in the consi semis. Showed some real heart.

Also to Parker. He was seeded 8th. Won his 5th place match than beat a ranked kid for True-4th to qualify.

It was a disappointing event for OU. Laney had to be hurt or something wrong as he lost several matches he shouldn't have lost.

Guillen finished 4th, I think he should get a WC based on in-season wins over several AQs.

Carson finished 6th in a pretty tough weight. He earned an AQ slot for the MAC and I would assume he gets in, but can the NCAA take 6 from the MAC at 1 weight? I'm not sure.

The freshman Yinger beat the 1 seed in the semis, in the finals he was up 4-2 in the third on the strength of two TDs and got turned and lost 7-4. I think he gets a WC.

So my guess for OU is 3-5 qualifiers.

For Kent - I don't see any WCs coming, unless I'm missing someone. It's tough because I thought Ohio had a bad tournament and they still finished 30+ points above Kent. I'd love an insider for the Flashes to give a state of the union on the program.

1 Missouri MISS 180.0
2 Buffalo BUFF 113.5
3 Central Michigan CEMI 112.5
4 Old Dominion OLDO 111.0
5 Ohio OHIO 99.5
6 Northern Illinois NOIL 98.0
7 SIU Edwardsville SIUE 68.5
8 Kent State KEST 66.0

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 11, 2019

[quote="Ethan Moore"]For Kent - I don't see any WCs coming, unless I'm missing someone. It's tough because I thought Ohio had a bad tournament and they still finished 30+ points above Kent. I'd love an insider for the Flashes to give a state of the union on the program.]

no insider here but observation from a distance, hope its wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtGxusvUT3k

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 11, 2019

Kent's indifferent approach to recruiting is really evident right now and it's unclear to me what the administration should do. On one hand, Jim Andrassy not long ago had his program thriving with individual All-Americans and high MAC finishes. On the other hand, the program is nowhere near where it was back then. Did anyone see this coming?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 11, 2019

last year in Cleveland neither OU nor Cleve St scored one point. This year maybe Kent going down same path.

imo Ohio's "other 3" Div I wrestling schools need to pick up the pace--- and best of luck to OU in Pitt. i'm rooting for all of them.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on March 11, 2019

Everyone needs to take a class from OSU, in how they approach athletes, what they say to them, and how they get them in the program, Marinelli aside, I have heard how they approach different kids to the program, some are there to make others better, some are there to keep GPA at a good level(not everyone is Mckenna) and some are there to be champions, but they have a good record for getting high-level character kids(i know the ones that weren't). I'm serious when I say they sell the program, and when they decide why they need you in their program, it's personal, they do their research and know how and what you are looking for in a program. They sell the program, the school and the athletes in it. PSU, OSU, Iowa etc. take this stuff very seriously. I think, in my opinion, there is a business aspect to expectations on performance even within the people that recruit, they take it personally when they don't get a kid and try to figure out what they have to do next time to get the recruit. looking at the top teams they are all good, even great recruiters, it has to be tough to compete with what the top level teams have to offer from a smaller and underfunded program, KSU, CSU, OU etc. have to find those diamonds in a little rough, but I think they are passing on some great kids in an attempt to catch a whale. I did hear, not confirmed, maybe someone can confirm that CSU is getting Heil and Sutton(Austintown). Those are tough kids that will be good in any room. I think Josh Morre is going to be okay but it will take him a few years.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 11, 2019

I watched Gus Sutton this weekend. That dude is going to make a college coach quite happy. Length, strength, and good on the mat.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 12, 2019

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

" I did hear, not confirmed, maybe someone can confirm that CSU is getting Heil and Sutton(Austintown). Those are tough kids that will be good in any room. I think Josh Morre is going to be okay but it will take him a few years."

agree Bill, good points. Josh Moore will do very well-- imo-- savvy hs coaches like him alot.

one way to LOSE your program is to have a mediocre one. Coach Stehura told me CSU came very close, came down to baseball or wrestling had to go.

And why not be good? Ohio & Pa where else is recruiting potential for "diamond in the rough" more fruitful than Eastern Ohio?? Goes for OU & Kent too, they are nice schools , nice campuses, have selling points. Seemingly kids love OU. ..all Ohio talent is NOT going to Ohio St.

From AmWrNews April 2018, “Cleveland Ohio - At The Big Show fans see which states produce the most talent, it’s on display, numbers over time don’t lie. This season the states with the most NCAA Division I qualifiers were king Pennsylvania (53), prince OHIO (30), Illinois (27), New Jersey and California with 21. Source Flowrestling.com."

"As usually the case the top two in All-American production were Pennsylvania (with 15) and OHIO (with 11), though last year OHIO was number one. Next by state New Jersey (with 8). Source: wrestling’s best statistician Denny Diehl.” ... We are located in the 3-state "Wrestling Belt"

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 13, 2019

Carson and Guillen get deserved at-large bids, making 4 for OU.

Unfortunately Yinger didn’t get in, it would have been great to get him in as a freshman. Blue skies ahead for him.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 13, 2019

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Carson and Guillen get deserved at-large bids, making 4 for OU.

Unfortunately Yinger didn’t get in, it would have been great to get him in as a freshman. Blue skies ahead for him."

ie Yinger,

Weird that for seeding, the most recent result takes precedence, but for at large bids, it doesn't.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 13, 2019

good luck to OU 4 ...

a bit off subject, but a quick glance of interest some ohio kids i noticed qualified from out of state schools.

Alex Mackall formerly of Walsh Jesuit went to Rutgers now at Iowa St (125)

Rocco Caywood of Perrysburg i think? 197 qual from West Point Army, he only lost 5-2 to Bo Nickall in Ironman finals, great on top.

Bill Miller from Virginia Tech hvwt, Jennings from Nwstn hvwt, Stencil of C Mich hvwt

Dom Demas of Oklahoma & Corie Shie of Army both 141

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 13, 2019

Brady - that is why I thought he would get in. I thought adjacency to the AQ slot in conference tournament finish was a factor.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 13, 2019

Guillen gets RBY round one, interesting

Luke Moore added to this discussion on March 13, 2019

Carson vs. Hayes- I actually think this is an interesting match. Carson is so funky and a great scrambler. It could be hard for Hayes to wrestle him.

I think Kelly can win his first math but then has Eierman. Tough draw there. Would love to see Cam end his career on the podium.

Demas/Moore in round 1- interesting match. Although after watching the Big 12 finals, Dom may be my new favorite wrestler.

Brian Grimm added to this discussion on March 18, 2019

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"OH and Kent competed this weekend.

I believe both have two Qualifiers as of now:

OU - Kelly and Parker
Kent - Rooney and McNally

HUGE props to Cam Kelly. He was the 2 seed, was thrown and pinned in 25 seconds in round 1. Wrestled all the way back for 3rd, and had to beat a returning AA in the consi semis. Showed some real heart.

Also to Parker. He was seeded 8th. Won his 5th place match than beat a ranked kid for True-4th to qualify.

It was a disappointing event for OU. Laney had to be hurt or something wrong as he lost several matches he shouldn't have lost.

Guillen finished 4th, I think he should get a WC based on in-season wins over several AQs.

Carson finished 6th in a pretty tough weight. He earned an AQ slot for the MAC and I would assume he gets in, but can the NCAA take 6 from the MAC at 1 weight? I'm not sure.

The freshman Yinger beat the 1 seed in the semis, in the finals he was up 4-2 in the third on the strength of two TDs and got turned and lost 7-4. I think he gets a WC.

So my guess for OU is 3-5 qualifiers.

For Kent - I don't see any WCs coming, unless I'm missing someone. It's tough because I thought Ohio had a bad tournament and they still finished 30+ points above Kent. I'd love an insider for the Flashes to give a state of the union on the program.

1 Missouri MISS 180.0
2 Buffalo BUFF 113.5
3 Central Michigan CEMI 112.5
4 Old Dominion OLDO 111.0
5 Ohio OHIO 99.5
6 Northern Illinois NOIL 98.0
7 SIU Edwardsville SIUE 68.5
8 Kent State KEST 66.0"

KSU finished the season with different wrestlers at 285, 197, 174, 157, and 141 versus the anticipated lineup at the start of the season.

► Add to the Discussion