Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Bo Nickal
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 22, 2019

Big fan of his wrestling skills but no longer a fan of him as a person. I watched his second match. He made a show of adjusting his knee pad while in the top position as if to say, "I'm not being challenged." Then after pinning his opponent, he attempted to help him by grabbing him almost in a gut wrench position and lifting him up. His opponent wanted nothing to do with it.

He needs to wrestle and get off the mat without all these conscious acts of show boating. Last year he made thoughtless comments after pinning Myles which I attributed to not having time to think through his words. Now...I just think he's an arrogant douche. Nothing would make me happier than to see him get beaten esp by Kollin Moore.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 22, 2019

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Big fan of his wrestling skills but no longer a fan of him as a person. I watched his second match. He made a show of adjusting his knee pad while in the top position as if to say, "I'm not being challenged." Then after pinning his opponent, he attempted to help him by grabbing him almost in a gut wrench position and lifting him up. His opponent wanted nothing to do with it.

He needs to wrestle and get off the mat without all these conscious acts of show boating. Last year he made thoughtless comments after pinning Myles which I attributed to not having time to think through his words. Now...I just think he's an arrogant douche. Nothing would make me happier than to see him get beaten esp by Kollin Moore."

He's not the only one on that team that acts like that. I'm almost to the point where I would root for Iowa over PSU...…….almost, it's close.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on March 22, 2019

I do find myself rooting for Iowa over Penn St most times- But then again, I've always personally been a fan of the Brands brothers.

Much respect to Iowa starting out like 16-0 or something before Wilcke lost in OT. Those coaches get their boys ready.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on March 22, 2019

I agree with Hank, well said, it's getting worse with PSU this sport has a way of adjusting that type of attitude. These guys are competitive and we know that what he is doing, its not like they battled and he is showing respect, he beats the crap out of you and then tries to help you up, the guy from Fresno wasn't having it, maybe someone will tell him to just win, be unique, celebrate your success, but that isn't cool. Iowa over PSU i am there

Louie Iacoboni added to this discussion on March 22, 2019

honestly to me it looked like he was fixing something on his shoe if I remember correctly. Like top of shoe was folded under or something. I am not a PSU fan at all but I think there is a lot worse stuff going on with a lot less caliber wrestlers than Penn State

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 22, 2019

Fingers crossed PSU rolls snake eyes. It took Joseph OT to beat White in the quarters last year. White wrestles from space and Joseph wrestles from the tie. I think Steveson beats Cassar this time. McKenna does work. Knock 'em down to three finalists and a poor consolation round and things get interesting. Bo, Nickal and Hall are a lock imo.

Jim Fox added to this discussion on March 22, 2019

Hank, spot on in my opinion. I've said since he was a freshman that I didn't care for his off the mat antics. I was always told he might be an ass but he backs it up. I also get told I'm just old and don't get the new brash style wrestlers.
I also put Mark Hall in the same category. I remember watching and interacting with him when he wrestled at Ryle High School in Kentucky.

Both are tremendous wrestlers and enjoy watching both on the mat especially Nickal.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 22, 2019

You are all coming over to my side, think I posted it a couple years ago after the finals. I'm done with the 'we just have fun' stuff. Winning is fun. Let's see how much fun it is when they lose.

Iowa is honest. They may be jerks, but they're honest. I can get behind that.

Although I love Nolf.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 22, 2019

Like Louie, I thought he was adjusting his shoe. Maybe not but that is what I thought I saw.
When I watched the end of the match live, I thought he was being a bit of a jerk. When I saw it again later, from a different angle, I thought the opponent had a smile on his face. Again, it was fleeting so maybe the drugs affected me.
I will say that the move he pulled off for the fall in the first match was a thing of beauty.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on March 22, 2019

Penn State fans are the most arrogant I’ve been around.
Iowa fans whine about everything.

I’ve never liked Nickall or Hall whereas I have a ton of respect for other PSU wrestlers like Zain and Nolf.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on March 22, 2019

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Last year he made thoughtless comments after pinning Myles which I attributed to not having time to think through his words. Now...I just think he's an arrogant douche."

Can someone please remind me what he said last year? I was at the Q but didn't catch what he said after the match.

Jake Burcher added to this discussion on March 22, 2019

I am not a fan of Nickal either. But I can say that I love to watch Nolf wrestle and to me it seems as though he is very humble. Seems to me he has great manners and is very respectful.

Ryan Mitchell added to this discussion on March 22, 2019

Like a few others, I saw him pulling his shoe back on, like it had slipped down his heel. I thought he was being sportsmanlike in an attempt to help his opponent up after the match and when he was rebuffed, he backed off. Those boys have a lot of swagger, but I haven't seen too much to call them out on. Even Hall tried to back out of the recorder playing when he heard the crowd reaction until they pushed him to do it for TV.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 22, 2019

I don't see helping up someone he just pinned as sportsmanship. It's arrogance pure and simple. The shoe thing was nothing. But who in the hell wants to be helped up after getting decked? The Fresno guy certainly didn't.

That being said, Nickal is hands down the most exciting wrestler to watch in this tournament.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 22, 2019

I used to like 0.05 even though he has won against Myles. No more. He is a tool. I also, like others, think Nolf is an historically great wrestler. He seems very sportsmanlike, unless you piss him off. Then he destroys you.

Most of PSUs wrestlers seem like pretty good guys.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next