Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: Thoughts on Ohio State in 2019-2020 season
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 24, 2019

Early thoughts on 2019-2020:

125 - Heinselman (So) clearly has the talent, he just needs the mass. I think he can challenge for low AA status, but I'm calling 3-2 next year for 2 points.

133 - Pletcher (Sr) will be in a dog fight to get back to 4th next year as the weight brings back the top 5 and 6 AAs, plus Wilson and Gross will be back. Damn. He scored 13.5 points this year, I think he gets 11 next year.

141 - Either Decatur (Fr) or Kinner (Fr) will be here, unless Hayes drops. If it's Hayes, then I see a possible top 5 finish. I'd put Kinner or Decatur at 2 points.

149 - Sasso (Fr) will be an immediate title contender. 20 points, and that might be low.

157 - Hayes (Sr) is 2-2, Mattox (Fr) might be 0-2 or not a qualifier. 1.5 points

165 - Kharchla (Fr) is a stud, but I'd redshirt him. You bring back at least 5 AAs, plus a gaggle of studs who fell short. If it's Romero (So), I say he gets 1-2 consi wins. 1 point.

174 - Smith (So) needs to improve his finishing, which will come with time and additional strength. R12 next year. 2 points.

184 - I think Hoffman (Fr) hits the ground running and he's an AA threat right away. I'm going 7th. 7.5 points

197 - Moore (Sr) gets over his Conel hump, and finally gets his national championship. 22 points.

285 - With Kerkvliet (Fr) getting injured again, I think he takes a redshirt to make sure he's 100% healthy. It could be an Olympic RS I believe. Chase (So) gets a little bigger and stronger and he's R12 or better. 5 points.

Team - I come up with 74 points. I tried to stay on the low side, so I could see mid 80s being possible with the lineup I have.

Add Kharchla and Kerkvliet and you could be adding 10+ more points. If Hayes goes back to 141, there's 10 more points.

The Bucks should be in the hunt for a trophy next year, but I don't see a national title squad...yet.

You'd lose Moore, Pletcher and Hayes in 2020, and replace them with Hoffman/Amos, Decatur and Mattox/?. I think there's a title run in 2020-2021.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 24, 2019

As I had mentioned in another post I definitely think this represents a new era in Buckeye wrestling. The talent has been recruited heavily in these last two classes, and now we see how well the staff has developed them. Prior to next season I think it'll be interesting to see where and how some of these guys compete in the spring/summer freestyle circuit. That will be telling.
Heinsleman, Sasso, Hoffman, and Moore all have super legit shots at making the junior level world team. Moore may not be junior eligible anymore, but the other three are definite threats to do some damage. Decatur may be thrown into that mix as a first year junior, but I'm not certain if he is cadet eligible anymore. I'd really like to see Karchla make a run at the cadet world team spot as well.
Pletcher and Romero were both place winners at the open, and I think Luke will compete for a spot, but I'm not sure he has the freestyle chops to threaten for the 61kg spot. I expect Romero to make large jumps in both freestyle and folkstyle this off season. Brady can correct me but I think Kaleb is relatively new to freestyle, and he was pretty competitive last year as a newcomer. I believe he split matches at one point with Miekhi Lewis (although I may be mistaken).
Outside of that core group I'm not sure where Kiner, Mattox, Smith, and Singletary all fit in terms of freestyle. I would think Chase stylistically would fit well with the freestyle technique.
We're replacing more points with the outgoing seniors this year (141-2nd, 149-2nd, 165-R12, 184-3rd) then we were with the previous group (125-3rd, 174-5th, 285-1st). Thats a massive turnover for any school in a two year period. There's no way to project out where guys can fit in based on the depth of weigh classes and incoming recruits. I'll surmise a projection of up or down in a general sense. Thats the best I can do.

125: Production UP,
I don't think I could say it better than Jason did. With an off season of technical refinement and mass adding I agree that Malik is able to bridge some of the gap with his competition. The weight class doesn't lose much off the top with the return of seven of the top 8. Is he capable of making the podium, yes. Is he capable of making a large enough jump to be competitive with opponents that have been double digits better than him...we'll see.

133: Production Stagnant
In all honesty I did not think that Luck would repeat his 4th place finish from a year ago. I felt that the addition of Fix and Suriano to an already crowded field might force Pletcher further down the podium. I was certainly wrong on that. Luke is such a solid opponent. He'll need to develop more offense, and determine a way to get to the top level guys legs in order to compete for the title.

141: Production down
A new face will man this weight whether its Hayes or Kiner I don't know. I don't buy the Decatur to 141 talk. He is not a large 132, and is similar in stature to Pletcher. Decatur is dynamite on his feet but his mat skills are very lacking. Hayes has bumped up weights the last two years, so I'm not sure 141 is still in the cards. I have no info one way or the other, but I'd really like to see him get a legitimate shot at the podium. I believe Quinn Kiner is eventually the guy who lands the starting position. I'm very high on Kiner due to his mat wrestling ability. I think the weight will empty out quite a bit. Eirman is already taking an Olympic redshirt, Yanni may do the same or even bump to 149 (Don't forget he almost did this year). It remains to be seen who will start for tOSU, but the one guarantee is that who ever it is will most likely not recreate the same production McKenna did.

149: Production slightly down
As excited as everyone is about Sasso it's still not a guarantee that he starts here. I would love to see him be the Bucks 149, but who knows what happens with Keyshawn. I do believe either way this weight will produce an All-American, but I also don't think that the point production will be at the same level. The Bucks may fall off a little at this weight, but not much.

157: Production stagnant
I think Mattox is the guy here, unless Keyshawn stays up (I don't think he will). Mattox (A 4X D1 finalist; 2 X champ) is a physical wrestler that's very adept in all three areas of wrestling. His ability to finish, scramble, and ride very tough on top sets him apart from other guys in the room at this weight. He may be a surprise for the team next year pending any off season issues. He will be a pretty good size 157 as well, so the cut may play an impact. The weight empties out quite a bit, so it's not a stretch to expect the Bucks to be more productive at this weight moving forward. This and 165 have historically been these two lowest production weights of the Ryan era. We're due for a ringer.

165: Production stagnant
I know how excited everyone is about Karchla, as am I. I'll hold judgement until later. I think a lot can happen between now and then. Two things I know about Karchla, no one outside of central Ohio knew who he was 15 months ago, and he does have a slight history of injury that I'm hopeful he can avoid in college. The question to redshirt or not will certainly be one that hopefully gets made early rather than midway through the season. As I stated previously I think Kaleb Romero has the ability to make very large jumps between this year and next. If he can maintain the weight I think he is your guy. Let us not forget that this weight has been one of the deepest and most competitive weights in the country (certainly the big ten) over the last two years. Romero's season would've looked vastly different at 174. I think the team remains stagnant point wise at this weight due to the deep field. A year from now this weight empties out substantially.

174: Production up
I thought Smith had a shot to go one round further, but wrestling is hard. I think Ethan had a solid season, and showed enough to bode well for the future. It'll be interesting to see if Rocky Jordan pushes for this spot, or perhaps the next weight. I think Ethan has the ability to push for a R12 type of performance if not better. Much of the top end of the weight returns, but there is a dearth of talent following the top three. Definitely an opportunity for someone like him to sneak in and fill the void.

184: Production down
How do you follow greatness? Myles point production would be nearly impossible to replicate in one year. The top end of the weight empties out a bit, and Hoffman has shown that he has the chops (close match with Parker) to be a high podium threat. Could the Bucks have two title contenders as freshman next year?? Gavin is definitely an AA threat and perhaps a high one at that.

197: Production slightly up
Kollin Moore will enter next season as the #1 197 in the country. I don't care if the KSU kid transfers to PSU or not, Kollin is better. Kollin has been a solid contributor to great OSU teams the last three years. He'll be an anchor in this lineup for the entire season, and I agree with Jason in that I think he can get it done.

285: Production up
This weight will return only two AA (Steveson and Hilger) everyone else is gone. Chase will be a podium threat next year. I'd be surprised but not shocked to see Kirklievet wrestle without the benefit of a redshirt. As good as Steveson is I think the one thing that was exposed during the last month of the season is that he is not unbeatable. Folkstyle is not freestyle, and although I think Gable will be the USA rep in Tokyo I don't think entering into an upper weight class and expecting to dominate without the benefit of a redshirt is a good idea. Even Cael redshirted.

Overall, I think most people would assume that tOSU's point production will take a hit because of too many unknowns. The ability level of the new cast members is unquestionable, but whether or not that will translate to wins at the NCAA tournament will come with time. One thing that this weekend showed is that nothing is guaranteed, and it only takes a split second to have a mental lapse or have a ref view a situation from an odd angle to change an outcome. It makes me appreciate how consistent guys like Snyder and Stieber were.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on March 24, 2019

I think the likelihood that Ke-Shawn Hayes can make it down to 141 is nil. He is quite tall and has put on a bit of bulk. Ke-Shawn is a great individual and a fine wrestler, but I feel he lacks the "killer" instinct to push him through to achieve All American status. His personality is just too even keeled.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 24, 2019

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"I think the likelihood that Ke-Shawn Hayes can make it down to 141 is nil. He is quite tall and has put on a bit of bulk. Ke-Shawn is a great individual and a fine wrestler, but I feel he lacks the "killer" instinct to push him through to achieve All American status. His personality is just too even keeled."

One option for Bucks is to see if Sasso can spend a year at 141 which opens up 149 for Hayes. Or maybe Sasso adds bulk and heads to 157. In that case, Hayes goes 149 and recruits like Kinner and D'Emilio can grow into the larger weight class.

As much as I'd like to see Kharchla in the lineup, I tend to think the Bucks should redshirt him. Same for Heinselman. That would be painful but would allow the team to emerge in a year with a very tough squad.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on March 24, 2019

Random thoughts...

Moore can win a title and I think he will be the favorite to do so. I've been a fan of his wrestling for forever (he competed in the same high school district tournament as my wrestlers) and was a thrill to watch from his freshman year of high school all the way through.

Pletcher is knocking on the door. Can he knock down the door? I don't know but a guy who placed fourth in the nation two years in a row is definitely going to be in the hunt for a title.

I would love to see Kaleb Romero and Kevon Freeman hit the ground running next year. Awesome wrestlers. One is a D3 legend, the other I remember watching in our youth league way back when he was like five years old or something wrestling for Beachwood and trying to throw in legs.

I always say it: We're in a golden age of Ohio State wrestling. These young men who are representing the scarlet and gray are the best. Tom Ryan and the staff are the best.

There naturally has to be bit of rebuilding because the Buckeyes graduated Kyle Snyder, Nathan Tomasello, Myles Martin, Bo Jordan, Joey McKenna, Micah Jordan, etc. all in a span of something like 366 days. That is an enormous amount of points to replace.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on March 26, 2019

The idea of redshirting guys so they can gain experience, add size and strength etc, is over.

Coach Ryan and staff have proven they will wrestle the best guys at each weight. They burned a year of eligibility for Malik just to ensure a runner-up finish.

I think with the team race up for grabs next year we will see some young pups in the starting line up. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kharchla and Kerkvliet compete.

Ke-Shawn may have two years of eligibility left if he is granted a medical redshirt after next season but will he even make the line up?

By the way, speaking of St. Ed's reign of having an AA end this year, have you seen Flo's preseason #1's yet? Not a single Nittany Lion on the list.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 26, 2019

The points on Kinner make a lot of sense. You have to wrestle on the mat to win at the highest levels.

Kinner was 16-3 as a RS.

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/51144/kinner-quinn/profile

I don't see a ton of high-quality wins, but it appears he can compete with top-20ish guys right now. Another off season and you hope he can be a scorer in Minneapolis.

I would say many Ohio HS studs need a RS year to acclimate to mat wrestling at the D1 level.

Sasso was 22-2 with wins over multiple AAs.

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/51143/sasso-sammy/profile

He's ready now.

Hoffman - 25-3. He's ready.

About Freeman and Rocky. I'm not sure about the injury status, but not competing during a RS year is an indicator of future performance. You have to love to wrestle to go to these opens.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 26, 2019

Yes, 20-30 matches collegiate should be mandatory for guys wanting to be great. Get a season under your belt. Freestyle is great but you need exposed to the mat wrestling and scrambling. No matches = limited progress.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on March 26, 2019

125-Presumably this is Heinsleman but I have a hunch there may be another plan here this year giving Malik a redshirt and explaining why they chose to wrestle him this year. Maybe Jordan Decatur makes 125 for a year? Maybe a graduate move in?

133-Pletcher is a stud who has been fourth twice. I think he actually has some nice leg attacks when he started attacking more towards the end of the year. Digging out those 2 third period takedowns against DeSanto was clutch. Fix and Suriano have a slight edge on him now. Can he close the gap by next March. Even if he doesn't drop DeCatur would benefit from redshirting behind Luke.

141-I would love to see Hayes make it back down and be the man here. I think Kinner will be tough but Hayes at 141 could be a high AA. D'Emilio also could be in the mix but would seem likely to redshirt.

149-This is presumably Sasso and I agree with many on here that he will be an immediate title contender. I do think he could possible end up at 157, if not this year eventually. If it happens this year it closes a presumed hole at 157 and makes room for Hayes and Kinner. Eventually it makes room for Kinner and D"Emilio at 141/149.

157-Mattox has the tools to be a really good college wrestler if he has resolved whatever concerns made him ineligible/unenrolled. Do we know his current status? Elijah Cleary or possibly Kevon Freemon?

165-As tempting as it is to wrestle him right away I think you give karchla a redshirt to acclimate. If this happens I think we see an improved Romero or maybe Mattox or Freemon.

174-Smith emerged as the guy last year but I would like to see him compete with Romero and Rocky Jordan here.

184-I think Hoffman will be ready to be an AA by next year.

197-Would love to see how Moore steps up now that he is the guy. Hopefully he goes out with the title.

285-Another place I think you resist the urge and give Kirkvliet a redshirt. I was impressed how Singletary battled last year despite being undersized and overpowered. Had some nice wins over good wrestlers. Hopefully he can add some good size but maybe planning to drop to 197 when Kirkviliet comes?

I hear what everyone is saying about giving guys redshirts and I don’t disagree with the idea. However, with the team title race in contention next year, I just don’t see TR redshirting guys who are better than the starters.
For this reason, I definitely see Kerkvliet starting and wouldn’t be surprised to see Decatur drop to 25 and challenge Heinselman or possibly Kharchla being the 65 pounder.
I have zero inside info and could be way off base but TR wants to win at all costs.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 27, 2019

Decatur at 125 scares me because he has gas tank issues at 133. If he's not cutting weight now, and still has stamina problems, what's going to happen when he has to cut. I think it's a bad idea myself. I would be good with a grad transfer, but not Decatur cutting.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on March 27, 2019

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"Decatur at 125 scares me because he has gas tank issues at 133. If he's not cutting weight now, and still has stamina problems, what's going to happen when he has to cut. I think it's a bad idea myself. I would be good with a grad transfer, but not Decatur cutting."

Is Gross going to Wiscy 100%? Seems he'd be a good cultural fit with the Bucks at 133/141 opposite of Pletcher. Probably very little chance of it happening. But two years ago I thought the same of Joey coming on board with the Bucks.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 27, 2019

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"

"Decatur at 125 scares me because he has gas tank issues at 133. If he's not cutting weight now, and still has stamina problems, what's going to happen when he has to cut. I think it's a bad idea myself. I would be good with a grad transfer, but not Decatur cutting."

Is Gross going to Wiscy 100%? Seems he'd be a good cultural fit with the Bucks at 133/141 opposite of Pletcher. Probably very little chance of it happening. But two years ago I thought the same of Joey coming on board with the Bucks."

I believe 132 was a tough cut for him. Given it would be his first year of college I think it unwise to go 125.

I saw some chatter about gross to PSU but don’t recall where from.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 27, 2019

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"

Is Gross going to Wiscy 100%? Seems he'd be a good cultural fit with the Bucks at 133/141 opposite of Pletcher. Probably very little chance of it happening. But two years ago I thought the same of Joey coming on board with the Bucks."

I believe 132 was a tough cut for him. Given it would be his first year of college I think it unwise to go 125.

I saw some chatter about gross to PSU but don’t recall where from."

Konel, Rasheed, Cassar all get 6th years and Byrd\Gross both go to PSU and it's the last year of PSU's run. That's my prediction.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next