Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: Thoughts on Ohio State in 2019-2020 season
Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 29, 2019

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"This notion that anyone can put on significant weight easily is ridiculous. It's simply not true."

I think the word "significant" should be replaced by "useful".

Most of us can put on significant weight without really wanting to do so.
Making that weight useful is a lot more difficult.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 29, 2019

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"

"This notion that anyone can put on significant weight easily is ridiculous. It's simply not true."

I think the word "significant" should be replaced by "useful".

Most of us can put on significant weight without really wanting to do so.
Making that weight useful is a lot more difficult."

Good point, that's really what I meant. There are those who are active that just can't put on weight or have reached their max. There are so many variables that factor into one's ability to put on useful\healthy weight and we know NONE of those variables for tOSU wrestlers.

Last edited by Alex Creech on March 29, 2019; edited 1 time in total

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 29, 2019

"Good point, that's really what I meant. There are those who are active that just can't put on weight or reach their max. There are so many variables that factor into one's ability to put on useful\healthy weight and we know NONE of those variables for tOSU wrestlers."

Really I figured as much, just being my usual smart a$$ self.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on March 29, 2019

Singletary is not a good example of putting weight on useful or otherwise. He wrestled 220 as a senior in high school. How undersized was he? I do not know.

This year, after redshirting last year, he said in a recent interview that he is walking around 225.

In order to speculate as to what our lineup will look like next year a question needs to be answered; how confident is our staff that we can contend for the team title next year?

If TR really thinks we can contend next season then I would venture to say the best guy at each weight starts regardless as to whether they would benefit from a redshirt or not.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 29, 2019

TR's slogan is positive infinity. I think he expects to contend for a title. Here's the likely lineup he'll put on the mat:

125: Heinselman
133: Pletcher
141: Kinner
149: Sasso
157: Hayes/Mattox
165: Kharchla
174: E. Smith
184: Hoffman
197: Moore
285: Singletary/Kerkvliet (not sure how this plays out).

That's a very good lineup. Historically speaking, it's one of the best in Buckeye history if they go with it. Guys like Rocky Jordan and Kaleb Romero will be relegated to back up status. The Decaturs, Demilio and several others with upside (Canitano and the big kid that is supposedly walking on from Grandview--Hudson Jump--come to mind). Wrestlers like Schierl, Cleary, Freeman, Koontzes, Lucas, Redlin, Traub, Stickley and Steiner will provide active depth.

It won't win an NCAA title. But it could be top five by end of year.

Don Bork added to this discussion on March 29, 2019

Pretty much the lineup I expect as well. However I would like to think that Rocky, Kaleb and/or Kevon might push Ethan Smith. Are there any potential quality 125 pounders out there looking to transfer? I had put out the idea that perhaps Jordan Decatur might be able to cut to 125 next year, but at least a couple more knowledgeable folks on this form opined that that was not likely. Anybody else on the roster that might surprise? A question, is Issac Wilcox out of Utah still a buckeye commitment?

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 30, 2019

I’m pumping the brakes on the Karchla train for a minute. No doubt he is an immense talent that will be right there when it comes to elite level status for the Bucks. But I think there are a couple scenarios that need to play out first.
Firstly, being a central Ohio guy I’ve been able to watch Carson up close during the last four years like a lot of others on this forum. The last 16 or so months have been as impressive if not more impressive then just about any recruit the Bucks have brought in at that time with the exception of Kirklivet and Jordan Decatur. Two Ohio State titles, an iron man championship, a who’s number one dismantling of a top ranked opponent, and most impressively was his run at Fargo last year as he toyed with multiple elite level guys.
Consider the following: two and half years ago Carson was considered to be the fourth or fifth most accomplished wrestler on his own team behind Conner Brady, Braken Meade, and the two brothers from Graham that transferred in and whose names escape me. You could even through in Rosselli’s son around that time. My point is pretty simple, Karchla has been a late bloomer, and has a small sample size in comparison with some of the others. Plus most of his elite wins are in freestyle not folk. His one elite folk win came over Julian Ramires’s in the iron man finals.
The summer will surely be telling. I do believe that Romero is poised to make a jump (whether that happens at 165 or 174 I don’t know). The depth on this team is impressive. These are starting to become issues with having more bodies then positions..a good issue to have.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 30, 2019

Jared: I hope you're right about Romero.

Personally, I'd prefer to see Kharchla redshirt but my suspicion is he's already better than anyone else at the weight. He's got a great style for college and is strong as a bull.

Last edited by Hank Kornblut on March 31, 2019; edited 1 time in total

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on March 31, 2019

Plus most of his elite wins are in freestyle not folk. His one elite folk win came over Julian Ramires’s in the iron man finals.

I remember Kyle Snyder saying all his training is freestyle when asked about the difference.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 1, 2019

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"TR's slogan is positive infinity. I think he expects to contend for a title. Here's the likely lineup he'll put on the mat:

125: Heinselman
133: Pletcher
141: Kinner
149: Sasso
157: Hayes/Mattox
165: Kharchla
174: E. Smith
184: Hoffman
197: Moore
285: Singletary/Kerkvliet (not sure how this plays out).

That's a very good lineup. Historically speaking, it's one of the best in Buckeye history if they go with it. Guys like Rocky Jordan and Kaleb Romero will be relegated to back up status. The Decaturs, Demilio and several others with upside (Canitano and the big kid that is supposedly walking on from Grandview--Hudson Jump--come to mind). Wrestlers like Schierl, Cleary, Freeman, Koontzes, Lucas, Redlin, Traub, Stickley and Steiner will provide active depth.

It won't win an NCAA title. But it could be top five by end of year."

I thought I read Kerkvliet hurt his knee again wrestling over seas recently. Anyone else see that?

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on April 2, 2019

Here is the match where the injury occurred. You can see his face as soon as the Russian starts to hit the double.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tatw2Ie1c0Y&feature=youtu.be&t=12452

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on April 2, 2019

Ouch. Hopefully it's not too serious.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 2, 2019

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"Ouch. Hopefully it's not too serious."

#singletarymatters

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 3, 2019

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"Ouch. Hopefully it's not too serious."

Yeah, that didn't look good.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 3, 2019

Ryan said hes ok ...plan is to RS Kerkvliet, not etched in stone though .

only 2 certainties are 197 & Sasso at 149.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next