Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Thank you Buckeye Nation
Gregory Martin added to this discussion on March 27, 2019

Hello to Buckeye Nation

I haven’t been on in a minute but wanted to come on and thank the true Buckeye Wrestling Fans for supporting my son every since he stepped foot on the campus at Ohio State University. I’m sure like myself most of you were disappointed in Myles lost in the semi finals and rightfully so because we all or should I say most know he was the better wrestler. Of course Myles has to take the blame because at that point you have to do what you have to do to get your hand raised. Did it help that the ref let the kid not take one shot the entire match? Of course not Did it help that the ref let a scramble go on for ever without stalemating it? I have seen stalemates called much much sooner. But that’s the breaks sometimes as a wrestler you have to go out there and take it out of anybody’s hands and leave it in your hands. I always say control the controllable, score points, ride to get that one if your going to cut someone, as well as other tactics that you control .The match was stolen at the end and the bottom line is it sucks but it happens to many. I have seen some shots taken at this coaching staff so let me say this Coach Ryan always takes some blame like most good coaches. He feels probably worst then anyone and always ask himself what he could of did different but ultimately that’s what good coaches do. I just told him like wrestlers use it to make you a better coach in the future. Myles experiences is not only for him to learn but for others to learn as well. In closing nobody probably was as down as myself but when I sat down and truly thought about it I realized the sun will shine the very next day. To go out and do what Myles did on that Saturday morning after the semis lost let me know that he will always be my champion. Time for the next chapter!!!

Last edited by Gregory Martin on March 27, 2019; edited 5 times in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mike Stann added to this discussion on March 27, 2019

It’s no wonder why Myles has been such a stalwart rep for Ohio State with a dad like you. You learn more about a man in defeat than you ever learn in victory. I wish Myles all the best in what I feel will be a great freestyle career at ORTC.

Don Bork added to this discussion on March 27, 2019

I’ll keep it short. Tons of respect for Myles. Great talent, always humble, and someone all of buckeye nation can be proud of. He has a bright future no matter what it may be.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on March 27, 2019

Quote from Don Bork's post:

"I’ll keep it short. Tons of respect for Myles. Great talent, always humble, and someone all of buckeye nation can be proud of. He has a bright future no matter what it may be."

Greg, I couldn't have said it any better than what Don just said. Humility, respect, and devotion are incredible traits for a human being to have, and you have instilled those in your son. Best of luck to him in the future.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 27, 2019

I have a number of favorite buckeyes, but Myles is one of them for all the reasons other people have already said. In addition to the great character he showed, he always fought and was fun to watch.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 27, 2019

outstanding perspective Greg.

“A champion is someone who gets up when he can’t.” – legendary boxer Jack Dempsey

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on March 27, 2019

I thought Myles was incredibly gracious in defeat. He said he was overconfident in that match, and that makes perfect sense. It would be almost impossible for someone as good as Myles Martin, who crushes everyone he faces, to NOT be overconfident!! It has been a real pleasure seeing him compete for the Buckeyes. So smooth and explosive on the mat and so classy off the mat.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 28, 2019

I have indicated my admiration for Myles before. To the Martin family, great job and it’s only just begun. The sun does rise the next morning and it will always rise on a National Champion and four time AA. There are very few in HISTORY, relatively speaking.

It’s only “disappointing” because he won it year 1 and not year 4. If he went 5-3-2-1 the perception would be different. The results are the same.

As to the match with Dean I, too, thought he stalled. Not going backward doesn’t mean being offensive. Contrary to Cael’s duck with Rasheed, it seems each match with Myles gave Dean experience to use in finding a (boring) strategy to win.

► Add to the Discussion