Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: OHSAA announces changes to State Tournament
Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 4, 2019

...from Thursday to Saturday

...to Friday through Sunday.

They sites these “positives” results from the shift:

a) Less school time missed for student-athletes and coaches
b) Reduction in parking/traffic congestion with existing weekday Ohio State University traffic/parking
c) Reduced scheduling conflicts for tournament staff and media members
d) Continued use of the Schottenstein Center
a. Due to facility scheduling conflicts, State Wrestling and State Girls Basketball will be on the same weekend. Moving our tournament to Friday – Sunday will help offset traffic/parking congestion from State Girls Basketball (which will run Thursday through Saturday) which will likely be taking place on Ohio State University’s campus as well.

Session 5’s Parade of Champions has traditionally begun at 5:30 PM but will now begin at 5:00 PM on Sunday.

I replied to Mr. Brooks voicing my displeasure with the decision.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 4, 2019

Brady: other than the obvious Sunday service for some, what other problems do you see?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 4, 2019

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Brady: other than the obvious Sunday service for some, what other problems do you see?"

I see an incredible drop in attendance for the placement matches and finals. How many fans want to be in Schott until 10:30 on a Sunday night?

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on April 4, 2019

Maybe they could finally give all the awards at the end of the tournament, so that the wrestling could end at 9pm. Just an idea.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on April 4, 2019

Maybe they could finally give all the awards at the end of the tournament, so that the wrestling could end at 9pm. Just an idea.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 4, 2019

I just sent an email to all the coaches in my email directory and included this article.

https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2019/04/04/2020-ohsaa-wrestling-finals-to-be-held-on-sunday-lights-up-twitter/

They start off saying that coaches were polled but quickly backtrack to say it is facility driven and that it should be addressed through the Coaches Association.
If you really want to get your blood pressure up, read the last line in the article.

BTW, how will any less school be missed?? The wrestlers and their friends will not be in school on Monday instead. Additionally many parents will miss work as well. There is no savings.

IMO, this is just absurd.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 4, 2019

As a child I read a compilation of short stories by Isaac Bashevis Singer about The Fools of Chelm. Chelm was a fictional village in Poland filled with stupid people. One day in Chelm it snowed. Since the people had never seen snow, they stayed indoors and stared at it. The council of Chelm happened to be together so they discussed what to do. They agreed that the snow was a treasure and decided to send a messenger to go house to house and tell everyone to stay indoors. Suddenly the wisest man in Chelm, Gronam Ox, sage of sages, announced that the messenger would inadvertently trample the treasure while going door to door telling the people to stay inside. The council mulled over this info and then suddenly Gronam Ox had an epiphany. They'd have the messenger stand on a table and four people would carry it while going door to door. In this way the original messenger wouldn't trample the snow.

Similar logic has been employed by the geniuses at the OHSAA. Since the finals on Saturday night run too long and people are annoyed at the length, they've decided to move the state meet from Friday to Sunday. Now, no one has to stay late on Saturday night!

What a bunch of effing morons. I am stunned at this level of stupidity.

Britt Malinsky added to this discussion on April 4, 2019

Another question: Are there any OHSAA member institutions that have policies not to compete on Sunday (obviously, I'm referring to non-public institutions here)? If so, they've just foreclosed any of their athletes competing in the state tournament.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on April 5, 2019

Quote from Britt Malinsky's post:

"Another question: Are there any OHSAA member institutions that have policies not to compete on Sunday (obviously, I'm referring to non-public institutions here)? If so, they've just foreclosed any of their athletes competing in the state tournament."

Back in the day, Dayton Christian Schools would not have permitted Sunday participation.

I’m not sure about now, though.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 5, 2019

Because I’ve not seen regular sports championships on Sundays I assumed that was a general rule.

Thanks, Brady. I didn’t realize they went quite that late.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 5, 2019

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"
I see an incredible drop in attendance for the placement matches and finals. How many fans want to be in Schott until 10:30 on a Sunday night?"

Not me!

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 5, 2019

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Because I’ve not seen regular sports championships on Sundays I assumed that was a general rule.

Thanks, Brady. I didn’t realize they went quite that late."

The Starting time is moving up 30 minutes on Sunday, so if you stay until the end, you'd be leaving the Schott around 10 PM now.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on April 5, 2019

this decision is egregious. Who ever is in charge these days, I hope his/her time is near its end so hopwfully the next ruler can change it back

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on April 5, 2019

It seems to me that the reason for the move, which I think is beyond asinine, is due to the Girls Basketball tourney. Could you move the ladies to a nicer facility such as Nationwide? Could you move wither tournament up a week?

Personally, moving OHSAA wrestling away form the BIG10 tourney would not hurt my feelings.

Jerry Des Forges added to this discussion on April 5, 2019

I am not in favor of the move but...

I don't think anything will happen. Some coaches will be upset but there are not coaches in the sport involved or active in trying to improve or voicing an opinion. Just judging by the GCWCOA- coaches are not as involved. It is difficult to get membership, nominations for awards, recognition for academic teams, etc.

Not sure if this is true overall- but I am guessing other Associations are feeling the same thing.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next