Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: AWN article on Ohio State's 2018-2019 lineup
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 12, 2019

Got my most recent AWN and there was an article previewing the Bucks lineup for next season. Most interesting projections: Hayes v. Kinner at 141, Romero v. Smith at 165, Rocky Jordan at 174.

Thoughts?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on May 13, 2019

I've thought all along that we will see Hayes back down at 141. He's a contender there.

If Smith can make 165 easily enough, I think Romero has his hands full, and we've got a contender there as well.

And Rocky at 174... is this all presuming Karchla is definitely taking a redshirt year? If so, I think Rocky has the pedigree to be lights out. But honestly, I don't know that we've seen 100% from Rocky since entering high school. There has always been speculation that maybe his heart wasn't completely in it. If that's not the case and we see his best effort, I don't think there's a fan in the land that wouldn't be excited about that!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 14, 2019

Karchla definitely a RS, 165 loaded nationally next season but will clear out. Rocky hurt last season, looks good now.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on May 14, 2019

Chris: You truly believe Ethan Smith is ready to contend for an NCAA title?

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on May 14, 2019

Bob,

Do parents ever have a role in deciding who redshirts?

For example, isn't OSU's current program status to wrestle the best kid? But you're saying Carson K. won't wrestle as we wait for 165 to clear out? If Carson K. is the best, shouldn't he go?

I also noticed others who may have been the best at a weight who redshirted.

I'm curious if this is a thing or not.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 14, 2019

Ethan,

The way it seems to be is it's a mutual decision agreed on by both coach and wrestler. I don't think parents get alot of say. You gotta trust the coach. Myles Martin reportedly was hesitant but he came out and won an NCAA title.

It's actually a privilege to RS, costs the team scholarship $, so to get an RS is an honor. Coaches typically turn down many RS requests.

In Karchla's case, let's look at who's back at 165: champ Lewis VTech, runner-up Joseph Penn St, placers White Nebraska, Marinelli Iowa, Shields AZ St, plus Joe Smith OK St and Logan Massa Michigan. Is Wick of Wisconsin back? It's loaded. The following year Karchla could be top three.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on May 14, 2019

Ethan Smith was a 184 as a redshirt. How on earth can he make 165, let alone on consecutive day weigh-ins and still be with anything?

I'd say the majority of the lineup is completely unknown. Heinsleman at 125, Pletcher at 133, Hoffman at 184, and Moore at 197 are the only locks I can say for sure.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on May 14, 2019

Hayes at 141 I think is a mid to high AA. Kinner still unproven at this point. If this year goes well at 141 for Hayes, do we see him apply for a 6th year medical waiver? He would seem to have a more legit argument than many who have recently been awarded it. He's also a possibility at 149 this year or next if Sasso ends up at 157.

Lots of talk about Rocky Jordan. Ethan Smith looked like a guy that could be a solid AA this year. Do we know that Rocky is better? If he is, that's great for the Bucks, but where is this information coming from? Smith to 165 seems like a stretch.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 15, 2019

I like Hayes from a skillset point of view but he has a lot to prove. Assuming him an AA at 141 baffles me. I guess it comes down to what you believe held him back as a sophomore and last season. Was it solely size?

I think Smith to 165 is suicide for him.

Rocky Jordan as an assumed starter makes no sense to me at all. I am not in the room but find it difficult to believe he's better than Smith.

I have no idea if the author of these projections had inside info or was just throwing darts.

I also can't imagine that Gavin Hoffman will stay at 184 past next season. He looks far too skinny. I see him as the 197 of the future. How do you fit him and potentially Amos in the lineup? Good problem if it occurs.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 15, 2019

Perhaps this info originated with Dwight, our former fellow poster, the man in the know. Where did he go?

(Ryan did say only 2 weights are certain, Sasso at 149 and Moore 197. That's fact that he said it.)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 15, 2019

So I assume Coach Ryan is implying:

125: Heinselman could redshirt or wrestle off Jacob Decatur

133: Pletcher might redshirt... or could he move up to 141 with Jordan Decatur stepping in?

141: Hayes? Kinner? Pletcher? D'Emilio? Isn't there a Stickley in the room around this size who's pretty good?

149: Sasso

157: Mattox? Hayes? Transfer?

165: Romero makes another big cut? E. Smith makes a huge cut? Kharchla?

174: E. Smith? Rock Jordan? Romero? Freeman?

184: Hoffman? Rock Jordan?

197: Moore

285: Singletary? Kerkvliet? Traub?

Ron Hreha added to this discussion on May 16, 2019

How do you pronounce Kerkvliet?

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on May 16, 2019

125: Heinsleman is the guy unless a transfer comes in. Decatur is really undersized unless he hits a growth spurt. I think we see a jump from Malik and he is AA caliber this year.

133: Pletcher if healthy. Decatur needs a redshirt to adjust. I don't think there's any way Pletcher goes 141. His freshman year was necessity and we have other options.

141: Hayes. To answer your earlier question -- yes, I think weight was the main factor in Hayes' less than stellar season. He was able to compensate against round of 12 type guys and still get the job done but elite 157's were too big and too good. Much better results at the lower weight(s) including wins over Kolodzik. The fact that he is back down at 141 supports how small he was at 157. Kinner's time will come.

149: Sasso. I hadn't realized that Ryan said Sasso would be at 149. I think he is right there with anyone not named Yianni (should he choose to move up). I still think he eventually moves up to 157.

157: Mattox. If he is eligible and in the mix, Mattox appears to be the guy here. Maybe Cleary challenges. Mattox has potential to be very good but lots of ifs.

165: Intrigued by this. If Smith could make it, maybe. Seemed like a brutal cut for Romero and would like to see him challenge at 174 or even 184. Karchla waits in the wings.

174: Again, if Rocky is in fact significantly better than the guys in the room, then he should project as an AA right out of the gate.

184: I'm interested to see Hoffman's progression. I would love to see some of the studs at 165/174 come up to challenge and provide depth.

197: I would love to see Moore get the job done.

285: I think with his recent injuries and need to add size, you give Kerkvliet a redshirt. Speaking of adding size, hopefully Singletary has been living in the weight room since the season ended.

This is going to be an exciting year.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on May 16, 2019

I don't understand why you guys doubt Rocky. He is the brother of Bo and Micah, right? He has the pedigree (to say the least) and everyone in his family AA'd including his dad and uncle (national champ). His credentials scream elite. Three time state champion. He would have won four titles if he didn't run into Cam Kelly (good rider) his freshman year. Ironman champion and two undefeated seasons!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 16, 2019

Scott: I agree with your assessment but Coach Ryan seems to be going out of his way to imply that "anything might happen" with regards to the lineup.

Chris: You have a good point about Rocky Jordan. I'm laughing at the idea that he's perceived to be less talented given the credentials you cited.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next