Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Penn State's Cassar granted two years of eligibility by NCAA
Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on May 31, 2019

Penn State’s Anthony Cassar receives two more years of eligibility. Good to see the Nittany Lions finally catch a break.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on June 1, 2019

TWO!! Wow - that seems extra.

This is stolen from themat.com by the poster Cradle1: "So if he were to take an Olympic redshirt this year (which he’s eligible for as NCAA champ) he could complete his NCAA career in 2022, eight years after finishing high school."

Yep, way extra.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on June 1, 2019

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"So if he were to take an Olympic redshirt this year (which he’s eligible for as NCAA champ) he could complete his NCAA career in 2022, eight years after finishing high school."

Even if he doesn't Olympic redshirt, 25 yr olds wrestling 18 yr olds in college just seems weird.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on June 1, 2019

This just is further evidence of “amateur” athletic organizations throwing their hands up in the air when it comes to the regulating of sport. Whether it’s the NCAA, the OHSAA, or any other organization in charge of amateur athletics, these groups have become fearful of any level of monitoring/regulating/limiting of any kind. Under these provisions Hunter Stieber May still have eligibility.

I wonder if Cassar even wants to keep wrestling, or better yet going to college. I remember feeling fed up with school and just wanting it to be over so I could start my life. I can’t imagine that he would want to stay in Happy Valley (even for grad school because he would still have to take classes) for that long.

Crazy!

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on June 1, 2019

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"I wonder if Cassar even wants to keep wrestling, or better yet going to college. I remember feeling fed up with school and just wanting it to be over so I could start my life. I can’t imagine that he would want to stay in Happy Valley (even for grad school because he would still have to take classes) for that long."

If I had a desire to get my master's and I was still on scholly, I'd do it. A free master's is, well, free.

Reed Vetovitz added to this discussion on June 1, 2019

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"I wonder if Cassar even wants to keep wrestling, or better yet going to college. I remember feeling fed up with school and just wanting it to be over so I could start my life. I can’t imagine that he would want to stay in Happy Valley (even for grad school because he would still have to take classes) for that long."

If I were an NCAA champ, or the slacker that I was, I'd take a kick to the balls in exchange for a couple of extra years in college taking classes for free and enjoying the college scene.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on June 12, 2019

The wrestling nomad is reporting that both Cassar and Rasheed will wrestle for Penn State for the 19-20 season. There is also speculation that Mark Hall will redshirt (either Olympic or regular is unclear). There is a certain element of vulnerability that is sensed regarding the PSU program right now; although, I’m not sure if it’s warranted. Cassar coming back is pretty substantial considering that Nevilles would have moved into that slot following his grey shirt season. Rasheed is less notable but still formidable. After listening to Logan Stieber’s interview yesterday you have to wonder if competing for a sixth year after a multitude of injuries for both is in their best interest. It does feel like the end of an era with Nickal and Nolf graduating but I thought that about Taylor and Ruth’s graduation as well. I will say that I don’t see anyone currently on their roster, with the exception of Hall, that is a transcendent generational talent like some of their recent competitors. Brooks perhaps, but I have to say that Ohio State and Iowa’s depth may create some real team competition moving forward. How about this for a line up:

125: maybe Teske, but word is he’s too big.
133: RBY, AA candidate again but is he a title contender at this weight?
141: Lee, finalist potential but needs to jump levels. Title threat if no Yanni.
149: Verkleeran?: not sure if he’s an AA candidate
157: Breske: up a weight low AA candidate
165: Joseph: always a title threat
174: if no Hall then who
184: Rasheed, this weight will be thin. On a good day can he make the finals
197: Is Conel getting a sixth year and transferring? Beard waiting in the wings.
285: Cassar, will be repeat. I say no.

Is that a team Iowa can beat? I think the Bucks win three matches against that lineup.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on June 12, 2019

Doesn't it seem like PSU gets all the breaks?

Even this weekend, Cael throws the brick and for some reason the review goes back 50 seconds? Comical.

Jared - I agree with you, I don't see the next wave of generational talent on the roster, but I too thought the same when Taylor/Ruth left.

Competing in a college room for 6 or 7 years will hurt your body. Unless an athlete wants to compete internationally, I'm not sure they juice is worth the squeeze. Also will put your professional career on hold for 1-2 years. However, if you love to wrestle and want to win a title, I certainly respect the dedication.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 13, 2019

Stieber interview was outstanding. He gives great insight into why he knew it was time to retire. He is such a grounded person and seems to be in a good place mentally. Some people don't know what to do when they stop competing.
He doesn't seem as if that will be a problem. I Also appreciated his opinions on youth wrestling. I concur--Dad's are the biggest problem.

I think Beard will beat out Conel for the starting spot. Conel had a brilliant NCAA tourney a few years but it remains to be seen if that's who he'll continue to be. I am a fan of his story and hope he proves me wrong. PSU in general will be fine. Any lineup with Joseph, Hall and Cassar as anchors plus Lee, RBY and potential AA's at almost every other weight will challenge for a title. If Hall shirts, it obviously has a large impact. Otherwise, they'll be neck/neck with Iowa and no one prepares wrestlers better for the big stage than Cael.

► Add to the Discussion