Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio Wrestling's Mount Rushmore
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 24, 2019

There's a topic on another forum where the question asked is who's on the Wrestling Mt Rushmore of your state? Pick the four guys you feel best represent Ohio. If you define Ohio as a wrestler who graduated high school in the state--admittedly arbitrary--I exclude Kyle Snyder. My four:

Lee Kemp: Three World Golds, World Bronze, 1980 Olympian and gold medal favorite, three time NCAA champ and a referee's OT decision away from being the first four timer. Easily the greatest performer in Ohio history.

Logan Stieber: On a short list of the greatest preps of all time, won 11 championships in a row from Middle school through NCAA's and capped off his career with a World Title. One of the all time greatest top wrestlers in state history as well.

Bobby Douglas: A distinguished prep and collegian who had success on the international level...also an all time great college coach who won an NCAA Title with Arizona State...he coached the greatest wrestler in NCAA history, Cael Sanderson. Only man of color to coach an NCAA championship team and many other firsts related to that topic.

Mike Milkovich: The greatest coach of his era and the most influential in the history of the state...In 28 seasons, his teams won 10 state titles and were runner ups 9 times...his Maple teams went 265-25-2 which is a .912 winning percentage ...From 1963 to 1972 his teams won 103 consecutive dual meets which is still a state record...His sons won three NCAA Titles and earned multiple AA honors...Milkovich created the Maple style which was critical to the team's success....He established junior high programs...he pioneered the idea of wrestling dual meets on Friday nights...He was also a huge influence on St Edward. As I recall, Howard Ferguson actually hired Milkovich to teach him and his staff how to run the Eagles...he won a supreme court case in a lawsuit with a local newspaper. Really a remarkable guy who dominated the state while continuously innovating in every fashion.

That's my list. Right? Wrong? Who am I missing?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 24, 2019

I think you nailed it.

Given that four is the standard, my, oh my, how many get left off!

Lance Palmer
J Jaggers
C.P. Schlatter
Dustin Schlatter
Mark Zimmer
Adam DiSabato
Tommy Rowlands ;-)
The Great Wojo
...and so on...

Tim Ward added to this discussion on June 25, 2019

David Taylor: 4 time state champion, 4 time NCAA finalist, 2 time NCAA champion, 2 time Hodge winner, World Champion

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 25, 2019

I'd bump Bobby Douglas for David Taylor.

James Vespa added to this discussion on June 25, 2019

Jeff Jordan is a four-time Ohio high school state champion as a wrestler and a million-time (only a slight exaggeration) Ohio high school, middle school, and elementary school state champion as a coach.

Kaleb Romero is a twelve-time Ohio state champion if you count high school, middle school, and elementary school -- which is the most (by one).

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 25, 2019

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"I'd bump Bobby Douglas for David Taylor."

Would you bump Logan Stieber for David Taylor?

Very few programs outside the two Oklahomas, the two Iowas and PSU have won team titles. You can't overlook how incredible an accomplishment it is. Bobby Douglas has been one of the best when it comes to college coaching and the fact he is the only black man to do it makes it more noteworthy. Color matters when the sport is dominated by white wrestlers and coaches. Just my opinion.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on June 26, 2019

Senior-level freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestlers to consider for an elite echelon...

Harry Steele, an alum of The Ohio State University and London High School, is the only Olympic gold medalist in Ohio wrestling history not named Kyle Snyder. He won the gold medal in freestyle at heavyweight in 1924.

Bill Kerslake, an alum of Case Institute of Technology and Euclid High School, was a three-time Olympian (1952, 1956, 1960) at heavyweight. He placed fifth in 1952, seventh in 1956, and eighth in 1960.

Dick Wilson, an alum of the University of Toledo, was a three-time Olympian (1956, 1960, 1964) in Greco-Roman at 114.5 pounds. He placed fourth in 1964.

The aforementioned Dick Wilson and Bobby Douglas are the only people in Ohio wrestling history to make the World Championships team in both Senior Men's Freestyle and Senior Greco-Roman. Wilson made both teams in the same year twice -- in 1961 and 1962 at 114.5 pounds. He placed fifth in both styles in 1961. Douglas made both teams in the same year once (in 1965). He made the Greco-Roman team twice (1963 and 1965) at 138.5 pounds. He made the freestyle team four times (1965 and 1966 at 138.5 pounds, 1969 and 1970 at 149.5 pounds). He won the silver medal in 1966, won the bronze medal in 1970, and placed fourth in 1969.

As mentioned above, Lee Kemp, an alum of Chardon High School, won three gold medals and one bronze medal at 163 pounds at the Senior Men's Freestyle World Championships (gold in 1978, gold in 1979, bronze in 1981, gold in 1982).

Matt Ghaffari, an alum of Cleveland State University, made six Senior Greco-Roman World Championships teams and two Olympic teams at 286 pounds (1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, and 1998). He won the Olympic silver medal in 1996, the World silver medal in 1991 and 1998, the bronze medal in 1995, placed sixth in 1990 and 1994.

Tervel Dlagnev, a long-time resident wrestler at the Ohio Regional Training Center and coach at The Ohio State University, made four Senior Men's Freestyle World Championships teams (2009, 2011, and 2013 at 264.5 pounds, then 2016 at 275.5 pounds) and two Olympic teams (2012 at 264.5 pounds and 2016 at 275.5 pounds). He won the bronze medal in 2009 and 2014 and placed fifth in 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2016.

Tina George, an alum of Cleveland Heights-University Heights High School, is Ohio's most-credentialed female wrestler of all-time having made seven Senior Women's Freestyle World Championships teams (1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005, and 2006). She won the silver medal at 121 pounds in 2002 and 2003, and she placed sixth at 123 pounds in 1999.

Toccara Montgomery, an alum of East Technical High School in Cleveland, was Ohio's first and only Olympian in Women's Freestyle. She placed seventh at 158.5 pounds in 2004.

Jim Humphrey and Reece Humphrey are the only father-son combination to both make Senior World Championships teams. Jim, an alum of The Ohio State University and Coshocton High School, made the Senior Men's Freestyle World Championships team four times (1974, 1975, and 1977 at 136.5 pounds, 1978 at 149.5 pounds). He won the silver medal in 1977 and placed fourth in 1975. Reece, an Ohio State alum, made the Senior Men's Freestyle World Championships team three times (2011 and 2013 at 132 pounds, 2015 at 134.5 pounds). He placed 8th in 2013, 9th in 2011, and 12th in 2015.

Kyle Snyder, Logan Stieber, and David Taylor are still fresh on everyone's mind... I hope.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 26, 2019

Excellent additions Dan. I knew I was missing a lot of folks. We might also add Harry Lester as another name for consideration.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on June 26, 2019

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Excellent additions Dan. I knew I was missing a lot of folks. We might also add Harry Lester as another name for consideration."

Ah, but you get only four!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 26, 2019

Jim: Who would make your Mt Rushmore of Ohio officials?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 26, 2019

I'm eager to see Jim's picks, but I know two Ohio refs are already in the National Wrestling Hall of Fame, both for lifetime achievement. Dick Torio from the 60s-70s, international ref, 3x AA U of Toledo AND get this a modern guy Santos "Sandy" Cageao. Yes Sandy was inducted about 2005 in Stillwater.

Nice post Dan, history is interesting & informative -- puts things in perspective. (U of Toledo's Dick Wilson not from Ohio though).

3 U of Toledo guys are in the Nationl Wr H of F. Coach Joe Scalzo, Dick Torio and Dick Wilson -- and Greg Wojo should be. Won more national titles (it was AAU then) than Hellickson and had great college career too in golden era of heavyweights (he beat the likes of Baumgartner). Funny so much glory U of Toledo had and they drop the program.

From the great wrestling state of Ohio only one coach is a National Hall of Fame inductee, Mike Milkovich (Hellickon is in but he's from Wisconsin and is in for his freestyle wrestling achievements). Former Kent State coach for 39 years, Joe Begala, could have got in but apparently no one championed him when he retired 45 years ago, now it's too late.

A year ago I did a piece in AWN on high school coaches who should be considered for Distinguished Member National Hall of Fame. Only 8 or 9 are in now.

8 guys I think can get in, the bar is very, very high but they can make it: Steve Powell Easton PA -- Dave Crowell Nazareth, PA -- Ernie Jones Tulsa, OK -- Russ Cozart Brandon, FL -- Wayne Branstetter Poway, CA -- Jeff Buxton Blair Academy, NJ -- Greg Urbas St. Eds -- Jeff Jordan SPG.

I think CROWELL and COZART have a good shot. Public school coaches have a better shot for obvious reasons but if any private gets in it will be Jeff Buxton. Jordan might, 17 state champion teams in his 17 years as head at SPG, plus his camps gave him a high profile.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on June 26, 2019

The truth is that I don't believe in officials getting into a HOF. The very best officials are the ones that you do not notice. Another problem is that there are no standards for selecting them. It isn't at all like winning X number of championships or anything of the sort.

Over the years I have been very privileged to work with, and learn from, some really good officials. Interestingly enough, I can't think of a single one who tooted his own horn. The guys who talk about how good they are usually aren't.

I am sure there are a ton of really good guys out there that I have never seen work. To select a few would be as hard as selecting the top 4 wrestlers.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on June 26, 2019

The measuring of accomplishments from different eras makes this so difficult. When you look at the actual Mt. Rushmore you have to look at impact rather than accomplishment. Three presidents were no brainers, but I guarantee people gave FDR lots of flack for putting his cousin up there (at the time at least). I choose to look at it (in wrestling terms) from the perspective of impact on Ohio wrestling. This makes it super difficult to put anyone recent because we don’t know their impact on the sport... yet. With that being said I don’t think anyone influenced Ohio wrestling more than the Milkoviches. That has to be first and foremost.

Bobby Douglas belongs on my Rushmore for that same reason. Zimmer goes on my list as well. Being the first four timer has to count for something. The last one is so tough. I’ll go recency for #4. In my time being exposed to wrestling in Ohio, I’ve had the privilege of seeing tons of greats make their way through the state tourney. I don’t think I could make a Mt. Rushmore without someone from the most dominant program of the last 40 plus years. I cannot think of a person who defined the St Ed’s program more than Alan Fried. I know the Palmers, the Jaynes, and everyone else in between went through there, but Fried is a name that provided immediate program recognition for an all time great.

Stieber and Taylor are right on the cusp; although, I’m not sure we can claim Taylor since he won’t claim us.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 26, 2019

But they do get in & I'm okay with that. The National Hall of Fame selects ONE ref a year, only 1 for Lifetime Achievement. So it's a huge honor. How many on here knew Sandy Cageao was a National H of F honoree? Probably 5 people if that.

I know there's no strict criteria, but stats count when they are available. What were Gene Hickerson's stats? Not alot of stats on refs but that shouldn't exclude them, they are integral to the sport.

Sandy never refed NCAA so it is remarkable that somehow his rep spread beyond the borders of Ohio. He did do some international, I know he had been to Russia. He refed the Reno T of C for 15 years until his death. He was our head ref at Ironman, after Vince Matteuci, until his death. Some in power saw his work and made a case for him.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on June 27, 2019

I’m not thinking he should be on the rock but there is no St. Ed’s without Howard Ferguson.

Stieber’s on it. In my opinion his credential’s and effect on TOSU wrestling put him there. Milkovich and Kemp also. Tough for me to pick a fourth out of all the possibilities.

Probably Douglas.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next