Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Girls State Tournament - OHSWCA/OHSAA
Brian Nicola added to this discussion on June 25, 2019

OHSWCA/OHSAA announces girls state wrestling tournament for THIS SEASON. Big stuff for half the population.

PRESS RELEASE: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10217665962535307&set=a.1098006044822&type=3&theater

I haven't posted this anywhere else, but I'll do it in the confines here. People asked me why it is such a passion of mine. I have two sons...both retired (although my youngest boy is dipping his toe back in). I'm not the traditional "die-hard"....I don't have daughters so I'm not vested.

However, I've been lucky enough to coach many excellent female wrestlers, especially early in my career. I watched how it shaped them and put them on a better path. I can't abide by the idea that half the population doesn't deserve the same opportunity. I just can't.

We're jumping in with both feet at Orange, hopefully other schools follow suite. Message me if you want info on our process.

Worried about coaching girls? USA Womens Coach Terry Steiner said it best: https://www.facebook.com/uswomenswrestling/videos/860970267619565/

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 25, 2019

well that makes 19 states now-- taking it a step further, from my AmWrNews column July issue:

For Girls, Freestyle Or Folkstyle?
Kent Bailo believes “Girls in college should absolutely wrestle FOLKSTYLE."

"Why? Several reasons; to start, it would be much easier for college administrators to implement since knowledgeable coaches are available, girls coming into college wrestling from all 18 states that sanction girls wrestling wrestle folkstyle already. Plenty of knowledgeable referees, most wrestling fans in this country prefer folkstyle. Why? Because they know it and understand it. Ever attend a college women’s dual meet? Me neither.”

Imagine the likes of Ohio St, Penn St and Iowa with a womens folkstyle team. “But, if the women proceeded the Ohio State-Penn State match they’d have huge audiences catch at least half of the meet and be impressed enough to show up earlier next time.”

“Same ref, same mat same rules, easy. College administrators like money and easy. This would sure help with Title IX issues.”

“I think girls would like to have the same success as men wrestlers, same exposure, etc. The NCAA Finals Division 1 outdraws Final X and the US senior nationals by alot. Simple, easy, more.”

Augsburg Or Penn State?
More from Bailo. “Oh, and when NCAA D1 schools sanction women’s varsity wrestling teams, the smaller schools will not get the Olympic caliber athletes they are getting today. Any girl would take an Oklahoma State full ride over Oklahoma City U, or an Ohio State offer over a Tiffin U offer, or a University of Iowa offer over a Missouri Valley offer.”

"Presently, we tell girls 'change your style or you are done’. We don’t do that to our male wrestlers. You can’t be different and be the same. Which is best for women’s wrestling? The college experience, same as the men or focused on the 1 or 2% that compete internationally? I’d say do what’s best for the most.”

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on June 25, 2019

When I first read the title of this topic, I thought the OHSAA had sanctioned girls wrestling. That's not the case yet.

This is in fact an important step in getting to that goal, however.

It sounds like the OHSAA is likely telling the OHSWCA to go ahead and go for it and try to build up interest this year, then the OHSAA will take a look at their numbers and decide if they qualify for "emerging sport status."

The NCAA recently announced that they gave women's wrestling emerging sport status for all three divisions. Here's a link: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2019/June/03/NCAA-advances-womens-wrestling-towards-Emerging-Sports-Status

More opportunities in the sport of wrestling is a win for everyone. The OHSWCA is taking a great step in making this event.

This year and last year, the OAC held a girls folkstyle state tournament for wrestlers in youth through high school.

USAW-Ohio holds a girls freestyle state tournament for wrestlers in youth through high school.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on June 27, 2019

The Mechanicsburg AD told me that to be a sanctioned sport, there must be 150 schools that sponsor a team.

I'm meeting with the Bellefontaine AD to try and get a team started - we already have two that compete with the boys. Makayla Young placed at the UWW U15 and Cadet World Team Trials and our other girl, Chelsea Horsley was one of only 6 girls to qualify for the district tournament. So we have a good start ...

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on July 5, 2019

Olentangy Orange High School is looking to fill a 10 point schedule as we launch our girls wrestling team. We expect to have 10-12 girls, all weights. One experienced wrestler but some decent athletes.

Would like to find 3-4 duals.

- Are scheduled to go to Lutheran West HS in January for their girls tourney
- Will host a girls bracket on January 4th at our home varsity tournament (all teams welcome, even small numbers)
- Will obviously be at new girls state tournament in February

You can email me at brian_nicola@olsd.us, post/message here or tweet at us @OOHSgirlswrest

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 6, 2019

Brian and Brady (above), Ressler and Vondruska at Lutheran West, the coaches at Cleveland Heights-University Heights, the coaches at Miami East, and so many more are doing great work in advancing these opportunities for girls to experience this great sport.

At the OAC Girls State Championships this year (which ran concurrent to the OAC Middle School State Championships), there was a dominant club called Athena Wrestling Club based in Harrison.

Two-time World Championships silver medalist and seven-time World Championships team member, Tina George (a Cleveland Heights-University Heights High School alum), and Olympian, Toccara Montgomery (a East Technical High School alum), are probably over the moon right now.

A few years ago, Ohio had its first girl qualify for the OHSAA State Championships -- Paige Nemec of Crestwood High School (D2, 106 pounds).

Recently, Tiffin University started Ohio's first women’s college wrestling program, currently under the umbrella of the WCWA.

► Add to the Discussion