Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: 2019-20 Buckeyes
Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on July 31, 2019

Does anyone venture a guess as to what our lineup will be this year?

125: Heinselman
133: Pletcher
141: Kinner/Hayes
149: Sasso
157: Hayes/Mattox/Cleary
165: Romero/Kharchla/Schierl
174: Smith/Jordan
184: Hoffman/Jordan
197: Moore
285: Singletary/Kerkvliet

Who am I missing? Any developments?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason Russell added to this discussion on July 31, 2019

Hayes at 141 or 149, no way 157. Everything else looks good.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on July 31, 2019

I hear what you're saying but I think 149 is out. Can he beat Kinner at 141? My guess is it's a real possibility but if he doesn't, he may have to go 157 and challenge Mattox.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 31, 2019

I think we're going to see a bulked-up Hayes at 157. Just my guess.

As for 141, Kinner will be in a battle with Stickley and D'Emilio. All three of these guys have outstanding credentials.

The Bucks have a problem at 165 as Romero and Smith are both big for the weight and they seem committed to redshirting Kharchla.

Could we see Hayes at 157 and Mattox at 165? As for 174, it could turn into a war between Romero, Smith and Jordan.

And will the Bucks redshirt Heinselman?

Jared Ball added to this discussion on August 2, 2019

I'm not sure they have any other option at 125 besides Heinselman. Jacob Decatur is way too small for 125, and the next line of guys are not highly touted individuals that would stand much of a chance getting out of Big Tens.

Pletcher looked huge at the open house. He might be bigger, albeit shorter, than Hayes.

I'm really looking forward to what this redshirt class can bring to the table. I think the Bucks start the year with the following lineup:

125: Heinselman
141: Hayes
157: Mattox
165: Smith
174: Romero/Jordan
184: Hoffman
197: Snyder/Stein
285: Traub

With Kirkvliet and Singletary on the World Team (U23), I don't think we see Singletary until Vegas or after January 1.

Secondly, the Olympic Trials are in December. I think Moore takes a shot at 97 kg. He's certainly not sucking down to 86 kg.

2020 NCAA team
125: Heinsleman
141: Hayes
157: Mattox
165: Karchla
174: Romero
184: Hoffman
197: Moore
285: Singletary

My way too early prognostication: 1 NCAA champ, two finalists, six AAs. Team finishes third.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on August 4, 2019

I could live with third place... so long as it's Oklahoma State that finishes ahead of us and NOT Iowa!

Jason Russell added to this discussion on August 5, 2019

This year will be fun. It's the first time in years TOSU doesn't have "HUGE" expectations going in. I think it's likely that this team will surprise some people.

Will Heinselman be improved and be a top 15 ranked type of guy?

Will Hayes finally AA?

Will Sasso join a long list of freshman AA's for tOSU?

Will Mattox be a staple in the buckeyes lineup? He did beat O'Connor who took 3rd at NCAA's like two years ago at Super 32.

Will Moore get his title?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on August 5, 2019

141 should be interesting and not just for tOSU. Yianni is going to take an Olympic redshirt and I believe Eierman is as well. Will a 133 like Gross move up?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 9, 2019

https://news.theopenmat.com/takedown-tv/takedown-tv-ohio-state-special-with-tom-ryan-and-tervel-dlagnev/73928

18:25-ish is where the line-up begins being discussed.

Prior to that, the interview with Tervel is pretty sweet.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on August 9, 2019

I’ll listen later but if Pletcher is as big as reported does he go 41 and Decatur go 33?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 9, 2019

It would not be a bad idea to use Pletcher at 141 as 133 is going to be brutal...again.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on August 9, 2019

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"https://news.theopenmat.com/takedown-tv/takedown-tv-ohio-state-special-with-tom-ryan-and-tervel-dlagnev/73928

18:25-ish is where the line-up begins being discussed.

Prior to that, the interview with Tervel is pretty sweet."

Thanks for the link.
Here's what I took from it:
The only two weights settled (barring injury) are 125 - Heinselman and 197 - Moore.
165 - Kharchla will RS
285 - Kerkvliet will RS
133 - Pletcher may RS. He may go 133. He may go 141.
Waiting to see how Decater and D'Emilio progress.
141 - Hayes may go down. No mention but I would assume to wrestle Kinner.
149 - Hayes may wrestle-off Sasso
157 - No mention
165 - No mention
174 - Smith vs Romero
184 - Hoffman vs Jordan
285 - Singletary

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 10, 2019

Great interview on openmat. Glad I listened. Lots of candor regarding the lineup. A couple big surprises including the idea of using Pletcher at 141 while Decatur or D'Emilio battle at 133. Kinner was not mentioned.

Rocky Jordan vs Gavin Hoffman at 184. That's two major stud recruits battling for one spot.

Romero vs Smith at 174. This appears to be a comfortable weight for both and I expect that it will be a real battle.

I have no idea who will go 157 or 165 although Mattox would seem to be a likely starter at one of those spots.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 11, 2019

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"I’ll listen later but if Pletcher is as big as reported does he go 41 and (Jordan) Decatur go 33?"

good catch Roe, quite possible

Jared Ball added to this discussion on August 12, 2019

It seems like each year there always seems to be some uncertainty regarding the lineup heading into the fall. Generally there are not too many curveballs that come about. Heinslemans redshirt being pulled was probably the biggest last year. To be honest I was a little surprised at TRs explanation of the rationale given for pulling his RS. I still contend he should have been given a year to grow, but I do agree that he benefited from the competition and is poised to make a serious run at a podium spot in March.
I also don’t buy the Pletcher to 141 stock. Although the weight is substantially wide open compared to 133 from a team view I believe our best lineup is with him at 133. The only way he’s at 141 is if some combination of the weight being too much, Decatur starting right away (with much improvement on the mat), and a lack of confidence in Kiner at 141. All very possible, but again I think he stays down. A Pletcher redshirt would also really clog up the light weights. I’d still like to see Hayes at 141.
Speaking of Hayes where does he fit? Is he a better option then Mattox or Cleary at 157? Can he beat Sasso? Can he even make 141 still? I’d say the latter is the most viable option, if possible.
Hoffman vs Jordan is a surprising matchup. I cannot believe Rocky is that big, but even so Hoffman is bigger. Not having see RoJo wrestle in a long time it’s hard to ascertain how he would go with Hoffman. Both are blue chips but I’m going with Hoffman’s size and resume (slightly more impressive) over Jordan. Although only one person provided Carson Karchla with a loss (albeit controversial) in the last two years...my man Rock

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next