Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Flo Preseason College Rankings
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on September 25, 2019

tOSU wrestlers ranked

125 #20
133 #4 Pletcher
141 #13 Hayes
149 # 5 Sasso
157 NR
165 #25 Romero
174 #13 Smith
184 #16 Hoffman
197 #1 Moore
285. #10 Singletary

Team #4

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Don Bork added to this discussion on September 25, 2019

Glad to see someone posting where TOSU is ranked since it’s behind a paywall I’m not privy to. Seems pretty reasonable, some new and younger guys in the lineup. Lots of questions even from the most engaged fans as to how the lineup will actually shake out. My biggest question is where Hayes will land if Sasso is at 149. I have some serious doubts about him being able to get back down to 141. Knowing that he is a successful student I wonder if he may not be ready to move on with his life rather than having to wrestle above his optimal weight class. Sasso at #5 is pretty high for a freshman even knowing he had some big wins last year while in redshirt. And who will be at 141 if Hayes is not there, and what of 157, Mattox? Looking forward to the season getting started and to the new edition buckeye team.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on September 25, 2019

Glad to see Hayes at 141, although I figured he would be ranked a little lower (10ish).

Would have to think 157 is Mattox's to lose, not surprised he hasn't cracked the top 25.

Saw an article on another forum saying Kerkvliet will NOT redshirt. I would think he becomes the immediate starter at 285, very well could crack the top 10 if/when he is ranked.

Overall, the lineup hows no major surprises, hopefully Kharchla will soon squeeze into the 165 spot. Redshirts? Meh.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 25, 2019

I feel we've been spoiled over the last half-decade. We've had star-studded teams year after year, missing only a weight class or two each year. This team - at first glance - brings us down to ONLY a top-5 team (instead of a title challenger).

Prrrrretty sure is this the definition of #FirstWorldProblems :) :) :)

I'm sure tNDG will have these boys up and running come MINN2020.

#EmbarrassmentOfRiches

Yes, InterMat reporting that Kerkvliet plans to compete immediately. He will be wrestling at u23 world championships end of October. Currently weighing 230 but wants to beef up to 250. With this news I expect he and Singletary to share time. We’ve heard Singletary say he was planning to go 197 next year. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Does this mean we may see Karchla this year? Might Ryan be going all in? If so, what’s the lineup?

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on September 25, 2019

125-Lots of depth at 125 so I understand why Heinsleman is ranked where he is. That said I think he finishes higher with the additional near. Maybe round of 12 but probably not AA yet. Jordan Decatur is listed on the OSU roster as a 125/133. Maybe he cuts down for a year and Malik gets the redshirt?

133-Pletcher ranked 4th but that's Fix and Micic both ranked despite a likelihood that both will take an Olympic RS. A healthy Seth Gross will be a problem for Luke (and everyone else). That said many are never the same after back injuries and I believe there is a possibility we see Gross at 141. He wrestled 141 early in his career and with the RS of Yianni and Eirman I believe he may have an easier path to the title at that weight.

141-Hayes has said that his ideal weight is 149 and that he will wrestle Sasso off for the spot. Should Sasso win Hayes intends to try to make the cut to 141. Hayes graduated and is in grad school at tOSU so he does not appear to be in a hurry to leave. If not Hayes Kinner or D'Emilio.

149-Sasso or Hayes. Mattox also listed as a 149 on the roster but he seems much bigger.

157-For whatever reason people always seem to overlook Elijah Clearly. He had several good wins last year (Will Lewan) and outperformed Mattox at a summer freestyle tourney. I stand by my earlier statement that Sasso looked really big this summer and will eventually end up here (if not this year).

165-I think Romero is ranked to low should he end up here. I think the weight was an issue and we see him challenge at 174. Maybe this is where Mattox ends up. Karchla is a special talent and I really hope they give him a redshirt.

174-Smith ranked about where he should be. Is is a forgone conclusion that Rocky is too big to challenge here and will be at 184? If so I think ROmero challenges here.

184-Hoffman or Rocky? Both blue chip prospects but unproven at this level.

197-Moore-Man I hope he smashes Kyle Conel. I really liked Conel's underdog story but going to Penn State has a definite Durant to Golden State feel. Boo.

285-I think Singletary will be better than last year if he is the guy. Kierk top 4 right now if relatively healthy. That said, why not get healthier, put on good weight and challenge for 4 titles?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 25, 2019

Flo rankings ok but not relevent because they got lineup wrong. Ryan has other ideas --and options-- it will be interesting if it works out.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on September 25, 2019

Can Singletary take an Olympic redshirt based on making the U23 team? Maybe he does that to save a year at 197.

Good point Jason, didn’t think about that. Certainly better than losing the year. So, Bob, how does InterMat’s projection differ from Ryan’s plan?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 25, 2019

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Flo rankings ok but not relevent because they got lineup wrong. Ryan has other ideas --and options-- it will be interesting if it works out."

Yeah...reading Dano's tea leaves, I really don't think that will be the lineup. And that's not a #4 ranked squad. More like #10.

My guess is we'll see Kervliet at 285 and Kharchla at 165 at some point. Also maybe Pletcher 141 and Decatur 133. Ryan really hates to sit guys who are better than the starters and rarely does it for a full season.

I really don't know where we'll see Hayes. He's a talent but his career is reminiscent of Ian Paddock's to this point in that he's a talented high level recruit but can't quite find a spot. Also think of Jason Johnstone.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on September 25, 2019

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"
"

I'm clueless. What does tNDG mean?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on September 25, 2019

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Flo rankings ok but not relevent because they got lineup wrong. Ryan has other ideas --and options-- it will be interesting if it works out."

Yeah...reading Dano's tea leaves, I really don't think that will be the lineup. And that's not a #4 ranked squad. More like #10.

My guess is we'll see Kervliet at 285 and Kharchla at 165 at some point. Also maybe Pletcher 141 and Decatur 133. Ryan really hates to sit guys who are better than the starters and rarely does it for a full season.

I really don't know where we'll see Hayes. He's a talent but his career is reminiscent of Ian Paddock's to this point in that he's a talented high level recruit but can't quite find a spot. Also think of Jason Johnstone."

Per Flo interview with Kerkvliet: Ohio State's blue-chip true frosh Greg Kerkvliet says he is ready to compete for the Buckeyes now and does not plan on taking a redshirt.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on September 26, 2019

I guess we need to start taking TR at his word. He said a couple of months ago that Moore and Heinsleman were the only for sure things. It’s fun to prognosticate but with the depth that the staff has built I’m wondering if the approach is to actively wrestle two guys per most weights most of the year. This allows the team to slot in guys based on matchups for duals and save redshirts for injuries. The S.O.P. Seems to be if you can go now why wait. The future is unpredictable. I’m betting we won’t see a solidified long up for much of the season. Definitely not prior to January.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 26, 2019

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

"

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"
"

I'm clueless. What does tNDG mean?"

the Next Dan Gable.

An affectionate term I coined back in 2006/2007 upon Tom Ryan's arrival.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on September 26, 2019

I prefer Tan Tom and the church of positive infinity.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next