Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Buckeye wrestle-off brackets posted on their twitter account
Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on October 17, 2019

Some weight changes that have been previously rumored and some surprises.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on October 17, 2019

Rocky vs. Romero?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on October 17, 2019

125 Canitano vs. Malik Dectur vs. Lucas
133 Decatur vs. winner of Koontz/Oldham
141 kinner vs. winner of Reeves/Watson - DEmilio vs. Stickley and winner vs. Pletcher
149 Ketchum vs Sasso / Greiner vs. Ragon (Hayes will return for MSU and go 149)
157 Cleary vs. Marshall / Mattox vs. Rehfeldt
165 Smith vs. winner of Hepner vs. Carson
174 Romero vs. winner of Jordan vs. Schierl
184 Hoffman vs. Steiner
197 Moore vs. winner of Snyder vs. Stein
285. Jump vs. Traub

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on October 17, 2019

Some quick thoughts:

125 - I think Heinselman majors Decatur, who needs a year or two to grow into the weight.

133 - Confirmation that Pletcher is going 141. I am excited/anxious to see Decatur at 133. I think he will be very, very good on his feet and possibly terrible on bottom. I think he will have a very Micah like career.

141 - The prelims should be awesome. I am honestly not sure who will make the finals to be beaten by Pletcher.

149 - Sasso wins this bracket easy, and I really, really hope that he and Hayes make the finals of the MSU Open and have a real wrestle off. I am guessing the loser goes up to 157.

157 - Cleary v. Mattox should be a heck of a final. I am guessing Mattox takes it and then loses to Hayes eventually for the spot.

165 - WOW, Smith v. Kharchla. I have to assume Kharchla wins it, but will he go right away. If it's close, I think Smith goes and they wait until the second half of the season to make a final decision.

174 - Rocky v. Romero!!!!! Very interested to see Rocky on the mat for the first time in 18 or so months. If Romero hasn't improved his finishing, or his bottom game, I see Rocky winning on riding time.

184 - Hoffman over Steiner pretty easy. Fringe AA this year.

197 - Moore decks Snyder in the finals.

285 - What an interesting development. Jump v. Traub for the spot. Looking forward to seeing Jump wrestle. Kerk eventually takes the spot and I think (hope) Chase takes an Olympic RS year.

Overall, I see this as a lineup that can challenge for 3rd easily and take a run at 2nd if Iowa struggles. Penn State is still the overwhelming favorite.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 17, 2019

So Hayes enrolled at MSU as a grad student and is wrestling there?

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on October 17, 2019

Great analysis Jason, I'm in strong agreement.

These wrestle-offs are exciting, but I think the MSU Open will also be a huge indicator on final weights/roster spots.

I think when Sasso and Hayes go at it, Sasso comes out on top....Can Hayes beat Mattox at 157? Does Pletcher moving to 141 hurt or help the team overall, even if he has an awesome shot at claiming winning this weight? (Better than if he was at 133)

Still so many questions that will not be answered by October 24th by any means.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 17, 2019

Hard to understand what Jim Kessen was saying about Hayes. I guess he meant Hayes is injured but will be wrestling at the MSU Open and will possibly face Sasso with winner getting the spot?

I don't get the heavy situation. Singletary has redshirted. Is he eligible to take an Olympic redshirt? Line up is clearly stronger with him at 285.

I like Pletcher to 141 as it opens up a spot for Decatur. Now he has to perform. My guess is he'll be up and down like my most talented true frosh.

There is a lot of depth at 141. One of those talented guys should consider transferring to a spot like Kent or CSU where they'd start instantly.

Ethan Smith dropping to 165 makes me cringe as it's a brutal cut. I have to believe they're committed to redshirting Kharchla if they're asking Smith to go down. Romero v Rocky is intriguing. Two recent legends of Ohio high school will battle for a spot. Should be exciting.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 17, 2019

Does wrestling off mean they will go this year? Tomasello won his wrestle off freshman but stayed in redshirt. Interested to see Romero at 174. I feel like some of his issues last year were related to the weight cut. I'm also nervous about Decatur's mat wrestling at this level and would love to see him get a redshirt to develop.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on October 17, 2019

[quote="Hank Kornblut"]Hard to understand what Jim Kessen was saying about Hayes. I guess he meant Hayes is injured but will be wrestling at the MSU Open and will possibly face Sasso with winner getting the spot?

Sorry I didn't add the word open after MSU to make it easier for you but your a sharp guy and figured it out.

I thought I read that since Singletary made the U23 team he is eligible for an Olympic RS. Don't quote me on that.

in other news Fix is taking an ORS

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on October 17, 2019

Fix taking an ORS open 133 up even further.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on October 17, 2019

Singletary and Kerk are both abroad for the U23 championships. That makes BOTH of them eligible for an Olympic RS. If Kerk wants to go immediately, I hope Chase takes advantage.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on October 18, 2019

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"Singletary and Kerk are both abroad for the U23 championships. That makes BOTH of them eligible for an Olympic RS. If Kerk wants to go immediately, I hope Chase takes advantage."

You sure about that? Kerk has been eligible as he's won multiple age-level medals. But it was my understanding Singletary needs to medal at U23's to qualify.

That would seem to be the case based on ORS criteria, at least.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on October 18, 2019

Then I may have misunderstood the criteria. I thought that making the U23 team was enough.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on October 18, 2019

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"Then I may have misunderstood the criteria. I thought that making the U23 team was enough."

Here is the criteria: http://content.themat.com/forms/2020-Olympic-Redshirt-Criteria.pdf

Jared Ball added to this discussion on October 19, 2019

I have to believe that Pletcher’s performance wrestling up at 65kg for U23s was a major factor in the decision to move up. That and the fact that 141 is wide open with Some of the redshirting that’s taking place. In my opinion Luke can be a finalist at 133 or 141, but I think he has a more favorable shot at a title at 141. You don’t have a Seth Gross like person at 141. I like his chances over a Lee (PSU) more than the latter. That being said I’m curious if 133 is totally out of play.
I still don’t see a path for Keyshawn Hayes to be a starter I’m this lineup. Barring an injury from one of the other guys I don’t see how he starts. Like all of you I’m not in the room so I don’t know, but he is not on the same level as Sasso, and word last year was that Mattox was besting him consistently in the room (I would think Cleary would do the same based on size advantage alone). I think at best Keyshawn splits time at 157. These are good problems to have as a program. When you’ve got a fringe AA guy that can’t get in your lineup then you’ve started building real depth.
I’m excited to see how the other weights shake out. Heinsleman is the guy I look to see some real improvements this year. I believe even Willie Saylor made the comment about him being a full size 125 with major improvements this year

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next