Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Kerkvlet in Portal
Roe Fox added to this discussion on November 2, 2019

I’d like to be surprised about this but based on the nature of college sports now and his history, probably should have been expected.

Snyder effect?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Roe Fox added to this discussion on November 2, 2019

Well I miss a lot when I don’t check hourly. I just saw the other posts in the recruiting discussion.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on November 2, 2019

Welp. RIP to any hope of a team championship in the near future.

Still some possible individual titles. Been a rough month for OSU wrestling.

I’m bored with PSU.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 2, 2019

I agree with Hank regarding his longevity. This sport exposes your weaknesses. If you have a proverbial achilles heel, then sooner rather than later it will be exposed and impair performance.
I am simply pointing out as well that a compromised knee is very difficult to protect or maintain its' integrity over time.
It's a numbers game. If he has 90% of the offense or athleticism compared with a healthy knee at 100%, then it is an impairment. He likely wins U23 Worlds this year with a healthy knee. Not healthy, 5th. No shame, however, he will struggle to get that level back (if it comes back).
I have heard that he is top 4 NCAA right now.
He is a beast
He adds tremendous value to any program.
I think he came back to quick from the first surgery because he wants to compete, but sometimes the best thing is rest and strengthening. Retorn as a result. Shoulda, woulda, coulda waited. A special athlete with that much strength does not follow regular rules. His ligaments have to be durable in order to support that muscle fiber. Not everyone is put together alike. Same 6 month rule to recovery doesn't apply to him due to his size strength and sport; should of taken 9-12 months and he would likely be U23 world champ and ready to win his first NCAA title while being a legitimate shot to surpass Kyle Snyder feat.
I might be wrong but time will tell.

Eric Curitore added to this discussion on November 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/MatScoutWillie/status/1194338937260654593?s=20

Possibly heading back to Minnesota? Perhaps Gable is going to be out longer than anyone expected. I have no idea if Kerkvliet is even eligible to compete this year regardless of where he's at.

Britt Malinsky added to this discussion on November 12, 2019

Quote from Eric Curitore's post:

"https://twitter.com/MatScoutWillie/status/1194338937260654593?s=20

Possibly heading back to Minnesota? Perhaps Gable is going to be out longer than anyone expected. I have no idea if Kerkvliet is even eligible to compete this year regardless of where he's at."

Only if he stays at Ohio State.

Eric Curitore added to this discussion on December 5, 2019

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6606848-greg-kerkvliet-to-transfer-to-penn-state

Well, that's a game changer. This all assuming he ever wrestles for them. I can typically side with a 18 year old kid who changes his mind recruiting wise as things always change & it's a big decision for sure...though he's committed and decommitted a handful of times already before even wrestling 1 collegiate match. Makes you wonder...how many schools will this kid be at by the time it's all said and done?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 5, 2019

I guess it's no big surprise. He's into FS and now he joins Snyder, Nickal & Taylor for training partners. Not sure about the "Snyder effect" but you got to figure it had some effect on his choice.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on December 5, 2019

If Nevills leaves Penn State I would love to see the Bucks take a shot at him.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 6, 2019

He's a talented kid but that knee issue isn't going away. Unless he has another surgery and let's it heal, there's no way I can imagine him having much of a career.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on December 6, 2019

I don't trust someone with this track record.

Committed to MN - decommitted
Committed to Ok. State - decommitted
Attended Ohio State - transferred

He could go to PSU and flourish, but something seems just not right about his commitment level.

I assume his departure allowed OSU to pursue Enchemendia (sorry if spelled incorrectly) and Hepner.

Side note - I understand no one on here or associated with the program will say a negative thing about Snyder, but it is now crystal clear his decision to transfer to OSU's chief rival has a direct impact on OSU's success. Disappointing.

Onward.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on December 6, 2019

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"I don't trust someone with this track record.

Committed to MN - decommitted
Committed to Ok. State - decommitted
Attended Ohio State - transferred

He could go to PSU and flourish, but something seems just not right about his commitment level.

I assume his departure allowed OSU to pursue Enchemendia (sorry if spelled incorrectly) and Hepner.

Side note - I understand no one on here or associated with the program will say a negative thing about Snyder, but it is now crystal clear his decision to transfer to OSU's chief rival has a direct impact on OSU's success. Disappointing.

Onward."

Well said

Bill Splete added to this discussion on December 6, 2019

What we owe Snyder is our honest opinion... When I found out he told Tervel last, it was at that moment he failed his convictions and character. When someone gives you their time they are giving you part of their life, (yes tervel gets paid) and that is what Tervel has done, with that they share the same convictions and if you truly believe and prayed on this decision then your guide would have been to seek out Tervel and tell him first. We have all failed our convictions or compromised and have been punished for them in various ways, for me the only punishment for Snyder is that I am disappointed in him and he failed to adhere to the convictions he espouses. He didn't realize the test wasn't leaving but how you handled the people that clearly cared for him deeply. Tervel is the first conversation, not the last and Snyder failed that test of character.

It's best Kerklet left as he has shown what is true identity is. A lack of commitment to his word. I have failed in that during my days for sure, and there is punishment and consequences to it, some more severe than others, but what I have learned and been taught is that only time and change can fix those flaws. I wish both the best and hope they learn that saying you have character is a long way from actual charater.

Last edited by Bill Splete on December 6, 2019; edited 1 time in total

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on December 6, 2019

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

"What we owe Snyder is our honest opinion... When I found out he told Tervel last, it was at that moment he failed his convictions and character. When someone gives you their time they are giving you part of their life, (yes tervel gets paid) and that is what Tervel has done, with that they share the same convictions and if you truly believe and prayed on this decision then your guide would have been to seek out Tervel and tell him first. We have all failed our convictions or compromised and have been punished for them in various ways, for me the only punishment for Snyder is that I am disappointed in him and he failed to adhere to the convictions he espouses. He didn't realize the test wasn't leaving but how you handled the people that clearly cared for him deeply. Tervel is the first conversation, not the last and Snyder failed that test of character"

It's easy to forget Snyder is just 24 years old. How many of us would have handled that situation perfectly? He'll probably look back and wish he had handled that aspect of his exit differently. Maybe he already has. But he owes that to Tervel--not any of us.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on December 6, 2019

It will be curious to see if he ever wrestles a match for PSU.

They have a lot of money tied up in 285. at least I assume they do. I'm curious what will happen in future when Cassar graduates and focuses on freestyle and having training partner there trying out for the same spot.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next