Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Hot Mess Buckeyes
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 2, 2019

First four weights will be competitive with Heinselman, Kinner, Pletcher and Sasso.

157 remains a weak spot. Hayes is the best option unless staff takes potential NCAA champ Sasso and moves him up. That's a bad idea.

165: Kharchla is the best option. He'll AA. And then he'll be a contender for 3 titles.

174: Just move Smith back up and stop forcing him to kill himself. Rock Jordan did not get off to a good start. either.

184: Hoffman belongs at 197. Bucks need to let him eat and either use Steiner, Jordan or Romero. Let him wrestle opens for a year and then kick butt for three seasons. He's a very good wrestler whose confidence is being eroded by making too big a cut.

197: Moore is terrific

285: Singletary has AA potential. Just let him do his thing and give him strategies for wearing down bigger opponents.

Tom Ryan has made a lot of good decisions but he's fallible and needs to get this squad on track. He needs to put the best guys at the best weights and stop mucking things up. What looks good on paper isn't going to work. This team will not beat PSU but will be fun to watch and competitive at the highest levels. Bucks need to stop trying to win an NCAA title on paper and get their lineup straightened out.

Last edited by Hank Kornblut on November 3, 2019; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on November 2, 2019

Hank, I totally disagree with your analysis of this young Buckeye team. You don't have enough data to conclude Rocky isn't going to be as good as Micah or Bo. He is coming of injury where he has been inactive for a considerable amount of time. Hayes as been a warrior for the Buckeyes over his career. He hasn't been wrestling his ideal weight but he has always been a top 15 guy while being out manned in some ways. I think 149 should be settled with a wrestle off with the loser moving up. Either way it goes our 157 will be a solid contributor. Smith has to do what is best for the team and 165 is the answer. When he adjust to the weight cut I think we will see a better performance. I think we have been spoiled with KS,BO,NATO, Myles,and mongoose over the last six season. We probably would of won at least four more titles in any other decade. Buckeye fans be patient things will workout.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 2, 2019

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"Hank, I totally disagree with your analysis of this young Buckeye team. You don't have enough data to conclude Rocky isn't going to be as good as Micah or Bo. He is coming of injury where he has been inactive for a considerable amount of time. Hayes as been a warrior for the Buckeyes over his career. He hasn't been wrestling his ideal weight but he has always been a top 15 guy while being out manned in some ways. I think 149 should be settled with a wrestle off with the loser moving up. Either way it goes our 157 will be a solid contributor. Smith has to do what is best for the team and 165 is the answer. When he adjust to the weight cut I think we will see a better performance. I think we have been spoiled with KS,BO,NATO, Myles,and mongoose over the last six season. We probably would of won at least four more titles in any other decade. Buckeye fans be patient things will workout."

We'll see.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 2, 2019

I just watched Sasso tech the Mich. kid who beat Keshawn, no need for a wrestle off. This competition is a better indicator of who should start and who shouldn't. I feel for Keshawn, but Sammy showed today he is a special wrestler. That pin in the semi's was text book. We have talked about how wrestling a guy you wrestle day after day , someone you are very familiar with, may not be the best way to pick a starting lineup. BTW, I thought Kinner had a very good tournament, holding his own with ranked Phillipi and Piotrowski.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on November 2, 2019

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I just watched Sasso tech the Mich. kid who beat Keshawn, no need for a wrestle off. This competition is a better indicator of who should start and who shouldn't. I feel for Keshawn, but Sammy showed today he is a special wrestler. That pin in the semi's was text book. We have talked about how wrestling a guy you wrestle day after day , someone you are very familiar with, may not be the best way to pick a starting lineup. BTW, I thought Kinner had a very good tournament, holding his own with ranked Phillipi and Piotrowski."

Agreed. Sasso is very talented and his future is bright.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 3, 2019

Step off the ledge Hank.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 3, 2019

...and Sasso is the man at 149. I don’t see a need for any further deliberation there.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 3, 2019

I'm going to agree with some of the other post-ers that before jumping off the ledge - or even climbing onto it - let's let some of the season unfold. I do agree that our best line-up possible for this year might not be seen, but that's the nature of red-shirts, recruiting, and college D-I wrestling.

I am interested in the dichotomy of this team as far as dual strength vs. tournament strength. Recall we lost to Lehigh in a dual in Feb. 2015 and won the national tournament.

But seriously, ain't it grand to have wrestling back!?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 3, 2019

So here are some questions:

1) Heinselman had a good tourney but ran out of gas after losing in the semis (maybe he got hurt?). Do you redshirt him? He seems like an ideal candidate.

2) Who's your starter at 157? Hayes? Mattox? Cleary?

3) Who's your starter at 165? Smith is good but Kharchla seems better. But Kharchla has been scheduled to redshirt since arriving on campus. Look at Sasso and ask yourself if it makes more sense to redshirt Kharchla for long term results.

4) Romero had a solid tourney at 174. Is he the guy? Or does he still have to battle Rocky Jordan...and possibly Smith?

5) Hoffman arrived as a true blue chip but he really seems to be suffering from the weight cutting blues. Is Steiner an option? Or maybe one of your surplus 174's?

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on November 3, 2019

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"So here are some questions:

1) Heinselman had a good tourney but ran out of gas after losing in the semis (maybe he got hurt?). Do you redshirt him? He seems like an ideal candidate.

2) Who's your starter at 157? Hayes? Mattox? Cleary?

3) Who's your starter at 165? Smith is good but Kharchla seems better. But Kharchla has been scheduled to redshirt since arriving on campus. Look at Sasso and ask yourself if it makes more sense to redshirt Kharchla for long term results.

4) Romero had a solid tourney at 174. Is he the guy? Or does he still have to battle Rocky Jordan...and possibly Smith?

5) Hoffman arrived as a true blue chip but he really seems to be suffering from the weight cutting blues. Is Steiner an option? Or maybe one of your surplus 174's?"

1 - Malik did some good things, but I wouldn't exactly call this a good tourney for him. He still has glaring weaknesses on bottom. Schroder cross-wrist tilted him 4 times in a row with ease. In his 5th place match, he goes up 8-0, gives up a reversal and then within 10 seconds gets barred up and pinned.

A redshirt sounds nice, but there's no viable alternative at the weight. I don't think TR wants to start every dual this year down 4-0 (or greater) hole. This is a very solid dual team that could provide some great moments in a year when PSU and Iowa are probably out of reach at NCAAs.

2 - KeShawn looked like he hurt his shoulder in his last match. We'll have go wait to see if that's serious, it looked like it might have been. If he's out for the time being, one of Cleary or Mattox need to step up and take the spot. I'd lean Mattox with the more upside.

3 - Smith deserves more of a leash. He dropped a first round match after his first scratch weigh-in...I think it's fair to assume the cut played a role there, and he did battle back for 3rd. Kharchla is the better wrestler at the moment, but he hasn't proven he's AA caliber yet either. Let's see how Smith does over the next 2 months.

4 - Romero looks like the guy to me. He was the better wrestler in the wrestle-off as well. His gas tank looks great, his attack rate is really high, and he's controlling the mat for the most part. His finishing needs some work, but he looks significantly better than last year. I don't want to totally write off Rocky, but he needs some work, and a lot more matches under his belt at this level.

5 - This one is a mystery. He looks bad in all facets. No offense, no clear idea of what he's trying to do. No idea. And God does he look slow out there. Can Rocky not beat him?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 3, 2019

brian: Excellent responses. No argument with anything you said.

My only question is whether or not you take the pain of shirting Heinselman in order to better develop him for the future.

Jason Fair added to this discussion on November 3, 2019

Could Decatur making a cut to 125 be the reason we didn’t see him and the reason Malik was wrestling unattached? Jordan Decatur at 125 - if he can deal with the cut - could be very interesting. FRL reported that was the rumor (they were correct about Kinner going to 133.)

To me, 157 looks like a problem. Mattox is perhaps the most unknown still, and maybe he can take hold of the spot? Cleary is solid and we know what we have with Hayes (if not injured). 174 and 184 are problems too.

Give Smith time to adjust to 165. With Kirkvliet leaving, keep Kharchla in RS, and RS Malik.

This isn’t a title contending team. Yet, there are three who could realistically be in the finals (Pletcher, Sasso, and Moore).

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on November 3, 2019

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"brian: Excellent responses. No argument with anything you said.

My only question is whether or not you take the pain of shirting Heinselman in order to better develop him for the future."

He did wrestle unattached so could they be thinking about it?

Jared Ball added to this discussion on November 3, 2019

I have to say a day later that the Bucks performance this weekend was predictably inconsistent. Lots of great insight from many of the posters. Decatur to 125 seems like a tough pull. Decatur has historically been elite on his feet and struggled on bottom with gas tank issues. Will J.D. dropping to 125 exacerbate these issues? He will be easily one of the biggest 125lbers in the country.
The bright side is that the depth of recruits brought in by the coaching staff allows for lots of flexibility. I’m curious what lineup the Bucks roll with for Sunday. I expect more lineup shifting and more inconsistency as the season goes on with this young team. They are going to lose some head scratchers, but that’s to be expected. For my money I’m interested the see if they roll with this kind of lineup a week from today:
125-Decatur or Lucas
133-Kiner
141-Pletcher
149-Sasso
157-Cleary
165-Smith
174-Romero
184-Steiner
197-Moore
285-Traub although Singletary May be ready

Keep the redshirts intact until you get more performance data on where guys are really at.

David Brown added to this discussion on November 3, 2019

I think the Buckeyes need to make some changes. For years now we have watched as guys stagnate and don't get better with time. Your best chance to win a natty as a Buckeye is your Freshman year. Many of our wrestlers seem to diminish with time, not get better.
Getting a high level assistant to bring fresh persective would be nice. The Jaggers and Jordan hires are nice but don't bring fresh perspective.
Now that we can't use the weight issue, not sure how we will defend Heinselman's performances this year.
Buckeyes need change.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next