Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Hot Mess Buckeyes
David Brown added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

I don't think Ryan should go or Brands for that matter. But it wouldn't hurt to hire someone other Ryan Morningstar or Bo Jordan. I'm not suggesting anyone lose their job. But bring in someone different, maybe an analytics guy as some have mentioned. Perspective is the one thing you can't give yourself. When you only hire within your organization it becomes incestuous. See Michigan State football. Dantonio can't bring himself to fire his incompetent friends. We are still allowed to be critical of this organization, especially when PSU is sucking up all the oxygen in the room. Sadly, I work in Detroit now. OSU wrestling fans sound a bit like Harbaugh apologists to me. "We are so much better than we used to be, we just can't expect poor Jim to beat OSU, they are too good. Besides 9 or 10 wins a year is not too bad." Building the new wrestling facility was a good start but more needs to be done IMO.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

It’s good to not all think alike, because if we did, all of us but one would be necessary.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

"Has PSU had the same coaching staff for ten years?" - Devil's Advocate

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

""Has PSU had the same coaching staff for ten years?" - Devil's Advocate"

Why do you want to advocate for the devil?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

I expect PSU to lead for awhile longer. Simply put, they can run off NCAA champions that don't conform to their system i.e Bubba Jenkins, Suriano. That is a lot of talent to let go and still get the best.
OSU is doing a great job, similar to PSU when looking through the right filter. PSU maybe gets one more great recruit per cycle which makes the difference in outcome.
I think Kharchla wrestles this year especially if an assessment is made that he can win it all. Having 4 potential finalists is likely top 5. Having 3 potential finalists is substantially further away, especially with a rough semifinal round.
I think we have three very good 174 pounders with different issues (Smith is a 174 pounder).
Interesting set of problems. Time to problem solve and let things work themselves out.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

Quote from David Brown's post:

"I don't think Ryan should go or Brands for that matter. But it wouldn't hurt to hire someone other Ryan Morningstar or Bo Jordan. I'm not suggesting anyone lose their job. But bring in someone different, maybe an analytics guy as some have mentioned. Perspective is the one thing you can't give yourself. When you only hire within your organization it becomes incestuous. See Michigan State football. Dantonio can't bring himself to fire his incompetent friends. We are still allowed to be critical of this organization, especially when PSU is sucking up all the oxygen in the room. Sadly, I work in Detroit now. OSU wrestling fans sound a bit like Harbaugh apologists to me. "We are so much better than we used to be, we just can't expect poor Jim to beat OSU, they are too good. Besides 9 or 10 wins a year is not too bad." Building the new wrestling facility was a good start but more needs to be done IMO."

I think there are plenty of us that are realistic and at times critical, and there are a lot of questions to be asked. But you're making some massive leaps here. We're in the middle of the greatest run in the history of OSU wrestling. Is that what's going on in football in Ann Arbor or East Lansing? Are those programs stacking up monster recruiting classes?

Your point is well taken that you can't get complacent with success, but the fact of the matter is that Bo Jordan is Volunteer Assistant Coach. You think the Pritzlaff's, Perry's, and Humphreys of the world are knocking down Tom's door to get that position?

It's important to ask questions, but it's foolish to act like the sky is falling because a couple of redshirt freshmen are struggling.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

Rex: Do you think Kharchla should start or redshirt?

Also curious as to your feelings about Sasso and if he can win it.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

the last five ohio st wrestling are NCAA 2, 2, 2, 1, 3

any comparison to Harbaugh situation is absurd --the last time Michigan football was 1 or 2 was in 1997 they were co-national champs with Neb, and have lost 16 of last 18 games
to Ohio ST.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

Bob-thank you for being a voice of reason. The people whining on here amuse me. The worst thing you can say about Tom Ryan is that he isn’t Cael Sanderson.

Fine.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

I certainly would not dismiss the idea of Carson starting. He is the best guy at the weight with tremendous upside for this season. As mentioned, 165 is deep. Interested to know if his offense is good enough to takedown everyone. Fairly certain he has never wrestled anyone like the Bull, so would have to be prepared. Bottom has to be great in order to not get hurt by Wick. Definitely a lot of obstacles to overcome.

I feel Sasso is legitimate title contender this year. 149 tough, but not as deep. Let's wait and see where he is at in February.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

After the MSU Open, i'm always siding with the "All in" mindset. Here's what I would like a full starting lineup to look like this year, so far.

125: Heinselman
133: Kinner
141: Pletcher
149: Sasso
157: Hayes
165: Kharchla
174: Smith
184: Hoffman
197: Moore
285: Singletary

I think 184 is the biggest question mark for me right now. If this is the lineup that OSU goes with (probably not) You would have to assume one of Hoffman, Steiner, Romero, or Jordan would step up to help make some kind of impact for the team. If OSU could get Kinner, Smith, or someone out of the 184lb group to make a splash this team could be right in contention all year. Yeah they may RS Malik and Kharchla and who knows what else, this is simply how I would like the lineup to lok at this point, without having a rebuild and regression mindset.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Bob-thank you for being a voice of reason. The people whining on here amuse me. The worst thing you can say about Tom Ryan is that he isn’t Cael Sanderson.

Fine."

So everyone who doesn't think like you is "whining?"

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

Not everyone, Hank.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

I consider ohiowrestling.net to be the most civil of all the forums that I frequent. I think we need to try to avoid pejorative terms like "whining".

David Brown added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"the last five ohio st wrestling are NCAA 2, 2, 2, 1, 3

any comparison to Harbaugh situation is absurd --the last time Michigan football was 1 or 2 was in 1997 they were co-national champs with Neb, and have lost 16 of last 18 games
to Ohio ST."

Bob the comparison is not Jim Harbaugh and Tom Ryan have had the same success. The comparison is that in each scenario people are saying "don't change anything."
Maybe a more palatable comparison is Buckeye football the last few years. As good as we were under Meyer it was not enough. Historic run sure but changes needed to be made and Meyer seemed unwilling to make the changes. The linebacker coach, the wide receiver coach, Schiano, they all needed to go but Urb couldn't or wouldn't do it. The changes have been made now and the results equal vast improvement - so far.
OSU wrestling needs a counterpunch to the deluge of bad news and outcomes it has had recently IMO. Critique is not an attack on TR.
"Pay attention to your enemies, they are the first to discover your mistakes." Antisthenes

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next