Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Hot Mess Buckeyes
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

i get it David-- u may have a point -- im not dismissing anything. --hilite iyo deficiencies and suggest a few specific things.

re Bo Jordan, nothing wrong with loyalty here-- he is only the volunteer coach, main job is to get on the mat.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Alex Creech added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"I consider ohiowrestling.net to be the most civil of all the forums that I frequent. I think we need to try to avoid pejorative terms like "whining"."

Really? Whining can't be used to express disapproval of something?

Whining : To complain or protest in a childish or annoying fashion

There is certainly complaining going on and maybe it's annoying to some.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

I certainly think it is natural and fine to disagree on a topic and some of that is happening in this thread but it should really be a discussion among gentlemen (and ladies). I think it is a slippery slope towards general incivility if we start labeling other posters comments as whining, or saying what they say is idiotic or calling them snowflakes, etc.

Of course, some people like that rough and tumble sort of interaction. Not me.

David Brown added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"i get it David-- u may have a point -- im not dismissing anything. --hilite iyo deficiencies and suggest a few specific things.

re Bo Jordan, nothing wrong with loyalty here-- he is only the volunteer coach, main job is to get on the mat."

Agreed on Jordan Bob. Good kid, loyal and no hit to the budget. Wondering if they have $ space for an additional hire.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

Quote from David Brown's post:

"

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"i get it David-- u may have a point -- im not dismissing anything. --hilite iyo deficiencies and suggest a few specific things.

re Bo Jordan, nothing wrong with loyalty here-- he is only the volunteer coach, main job is to get on the mat."

Agreed on Jordan Bob. Good kid, loyal and no hit to the budget. Wondering if they have $ space for an additional hire."

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe the number of coaching positions are limited by the NCAA.

Don Bork added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

Pretty sure that is correct Brady. Head Coach, three full time assistants, volunteer assistant. You could probably have additional support staff but those would be lesser tier and lower paying jobs. You’re not going to get a big name in for one of those positions. Losing Rosselli hurt, but I think Tervel was a good hire.
I think most might agree that we lost Kerkvliet because Kyle left the ROTC. Kyle certainly was a selling point for this program. I guess I’m wondering who we currently have in the Ohio RTC? Have not heard much about them lately. Pretty sure that elite kids want to have the opportunity to work with elite partners. Bucks will need to continue to recruit at the highest level in order to continue to reach the same levels of success as the last several years.
I can remember the pre-Ryan era when we would have a few good years interspersed with years of mediocrity. Interesting to hear people lamenting our current situation. “Only” three elite individuals and lots of young question marks. The season is young, let’s see where we go. Keep in mind, there are few programs in the country, any school, any sport, that can equal the success of TOSU wrestling team of the last five seasons.

Don Bork added to this discussion on November 5, 2019

Pretty sure that is correct Brady. Head Coach, three full time assistants, volunteer assistant. You could probably have additional support staff but those would be lesser tier and lower paying jobs. You’re not going to get a big name in for one of those positions. Losing Rosselli hurt, but I think Tervel was a good hire.
I think most might agree that we lost Kerkvliet because Kyle left the ROTC. Kyle certainly was a selling point for this program. I guess I’m wondering who we currently have in the Ohio RTC? Have not heard much about them lately. Pretty sure that elite kids want to have the opportunity to work with elite partners. Bucks will need to continue to recruit at the highest level in order to continue to reach the same levels of success as the last several years.
I can remember the pre-Ryan era when we would have a few good years interspersed with years of mediocrity. Interesting to hear people lamenting our current situation. “Only” three elite individuals and lots of young question marks. The season is young, let’s see where we go. Keep in mind, there are few programs in the country, any school, any sport, that can equal the success of TOSU wrestling team of the last five seasons.

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on November 6, 2019

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"

"I think the Buckeyes need to make some changes. For years now we have watched as guys stagnate and don't get better with time. Your best chance to win a natty as a Buckeye is your Freshman year. Many of our wrestlers seem to diminish with time, not get better.
Getting a high level assistant to bring fresh persective would be nice. The Jaggers and Jordan hires are nice but don't bring fresh perspective.
Now that we can't use the weight issue, not sure how we will defend Heinselman's performances this year.
Buckeyes need change."

What a dramatic overreaction to an early season open. Looking at last year’s senior class, I’d say McKenna, Jordan and Martin all made big strides throughout their Buckeye careers. Relax. Things will be just fine. Ohio State with a young team will be top five at NCAAs."

I bleed scarlet and grey but “strides”? Bo, albeit injured, fell off his senior year. McKenna failed to make it out of the open. Martin lost to some kid from Cornell at NCAAs who then lost someone else and then on to the open where he gave up a seven point lead to the macho man randy savage. Easy. Truth is Rosselli didn’t get enough credit for the toughness and understanding of work application. He is a big reason why Snyder and Stieber were world champs. Blue chips need a strong RTC where their members are thriving to even consider a university anymore. Stieber is our hope for rebounding; toughness with control and integrity. He outworked everyone. Athletes WILL respond to him. Philosophy is great but there’s a reason the field doesn’t pay shit and is readily dismissed. What works and shows results pays the bills. You damn well better be concerned with winning. This Buddhist sin shit is getting us no where and everyone knows it but us. Our middle weights are in great hands with Stieber, how are our upper weights looking? Time will tell... keep your eye on the Bill Farrell.

Don Bork added to this discussion on November 6, 2019

Stieber has retired from competition. Not sure of his future plans, anybody heard? Coaching? Private business? If he’s staying in town I imagine he may come in only occasionally unless he’s going to make it his living. I would think that he would be a prize on the coaching market. Currently no room at TOSU? When Rosselli left for Oklahoma, he took Hunter with him.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 6, 2019

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"

"I consider ohiowrestling.net to be the most civil of all the forums that I frequent. I think we need to try to avoid pejorative terms like "whining"."

There is certainly complaining going on and maybe it's annoying to some."

Alex: Please be civil.

Last edited by Hank Kornblut on November 6, 2019; edited 1 time in total

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on November 6, 2019

Quote from Don Bork's post:

"Stieber has retired from competition. Not sure of his future plans, anybody heard? Coaching? Private business? If he’s staying in town I imagine he may come in only occasionally unless he’s going to make it his living. I would think that he would be a prize on the coaching market. Currently no room at TOSU? When Rosselli left for Oklahoma, he took Hunter with him."

I’m referring to Stieber as a coach. He runs camps out of the facility and is in the room everyday.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on November 6, 2019

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"

There is certainly complaining going on and maybe it's annoying to some."

Alex: Please be civil."

Sarcasm, I hope.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 6, 2019

"I think most might agree that we lost Kerkvliet because Kyle left the ROTC"

I think he freaked out when he didn't have a better result at U23's. He's also someone with a history of transfers. I wouldn't positively connect this to Kyle although I wouldn't discount either. For what it's worth, I don't think he was ever going to stay put if one disappointing result jarred him into transferring.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on November 6, 2019

Quote from Liam Bateman's post:

"

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"

"I think the Buckeyes need to make some changes. For years now we have watched as guys stagnate and don't get better with time. Your best chance to win a natty as a Buckeye is your Freshman year. Many of our wrestlers seem to diminish with time, not get better.
Getting a high level assistant to bring fresh persective would be nice. The Jaggers and Jordan hires are nice but don't bring fresh perspective.
Now that we can't use the weight issue, not sure how we will defend Heinselman's performances this year.
Buckeyes need change."

What a dramatic overreaction to an early season open. Looking at last year’s senior class, I’d say McKenna, Jordan and Martin all made big strides throughout their Buckeye careers. Relax. Things will be just fine. Ohio State with a young team will be top five at NCAAs."

I bleed scarlet and grey but “strides”? Bo, albeit injured, fell off his senior year. McKenna failed to make it out of the open. Martin lost to some kid from Cornell at NCAAs who then lost someone else and then on to the open where he gave up a seven point lead to the macho man randy savage. Easy. Truth is Rosselli didn’t get enough credit for the toughness and understanding of work application. He is a big reason why Snyder and Stieber were world champs. Blue chips need a strong RTC where their members are thriving to even consider a university anymore. Stieber is our hope for rebounding; toughness with control and integrity. He outworked everyone. Athletes WILL respond to him. Philosophy is great but there’s a reason the field doesn’t pay shit and is readily dismissed. What works and shows results pays the bills. You damn well better be concerned with winning. This Buddhist sin shit is getting us no where and everyone knows it but us. Our middle weights are in great hands with Stieber, how are our upper weights looking? Time will tell... keep your eye on the Bill Farrell."

I was referring to Micah Jordan, not Bo. You’re cherry-picking by using McKenna’s U.S. Open disappointment against him. He objectively made big gains in his short time at OSU. I’d challenge anyone to show otherwise. Martin’s loss to Dean was one of the biggest upsets at a NCAA tournament in 10 years. We all were bummed but the loss does not diminish the fact Martin had developed into a Hodge-level competitor going into his final collegiate tournament. You could make a case that after Snyder and Logan, Martin is the most dominant wrestler in the Tom Ryan era at Ohio State.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on November 6, 2019

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

""I think most might agree that we lost Kerkvliet because Kyle left the ROTC"

I think he freaked out when he didn't have a better result at U23's. He's also someone with a history of transfers. I wouldn't positively connect this to Kyle although I wouldn't discount either. For what it's worth, I don't think he was ever going to stay put if one disappointing result jarred him into transferring."

Not only that but I was only expecting 1-2 healthy years from him. I just don't see how that knee can hold up for 4 full years. While it's a loss, I certainly wasn't thinking when they got him that they were set for the next 4 years.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next