Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Willy out at Flo - is that real?
Eric Curitore added to this discussion on December 11, 2019

Here's some light reading on this stupid cold Wednesday afternoon...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19Yckx1VmPQDOS96o1_CXtdCcJGbpdNK2/view

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on December 11, 2019

Interesting.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on December 11, 2019

Well, that answers what he is doing, and you got me down a little rabbit hole trying to figure out what the hell rokfin is and rae tokens, thankfully it's a snow day for roofers. I do have a real issue with the non compete flosports slapped on Willie and that could be argued, if he was not compensated and kept him from making a living in his field of expertise, but the content he took, yikes that seems like a tough one. How do you argue it's your content when you produced it while working for and presenting on their platform. Please keep us updated, I should have more snow days throughout the winter.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 11, 2019

Doesn't look good for Willie. There are a few people who can operate outside the law and get away with but Willie isn't one of them.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on December 12, 2019

I’m interested in more detail on the content Willie took. If the material is stuff he produced as part of his work product at Flo but hadn’t been released yet, who is the owner of that property? When does the work that a journalist produces become the employers property? If Willie just copied a bunch of his work product onto a flash drive or something similar, why would that be a big deal to Flo unless they don’t backup their servers that their employees use.

I thought I had read that Willie claims ownership of the idea for “Who’s number 1?”. If this is the case, can an employee file copyright protection for ownership of that idea or does the company the employee works for become owner of any intellectual property developed by the employee while on the job?

Many television reporters have “no compete” clauses in their contracts. I believe the newscaster who left Fox News recently is serving out his time before going to a different news entity. I agree with Bill though that the whole concept of preventing someone from earning a living in their field of expertise is troubling. Seems like too much corporate power.

Don Bork added to this discussion on December 12, 2019

Well said Hank!!

Alex Creech added to this discussion on December 12, 2019

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Doesn't look good for Willie. There are a few people who can operate outside the law and get away with but Willie isn't one of them."

I don't know, to me flo is the one who looks bad. Seems pretty petty. The non compete won't hold up. The content kinda depends on what it is. Who's # 1 is not trademarked, anyone else can use that. Yes it's obvious it's being copied.

Willie loved the original model that flo had when they started. That's changed drastically and I think he wants to go back, so what's wrong with that? I think flo is a little nervous.

John Joyce added to this discussion on December 12, 2019

Non-competes are notoriously hard to enforce. Especially with what seems to be a geographic region defined as the entire United States. I’d expect that part to fail. He signed the right to any and all IP created by willie for flo over to Flo, so I’d expect that to hold up. I’d also expect for him to just change the headlines of his content immediately and move on. That’s what I’d assume his legal counsel would advise.

He will probably be hit with some sort of fine for the IP infringement but even then I wouldn’t expect it to be large amounts. I doubt he’s made large amounts from that material to date.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on December 12, 2019

Quote from John Joyce's post:

"He will probably be hit with some sort of fine for the IP infringement but even then I wouldn’t expect it to be large amounts. I doubt he’s made large amounts from that material to date."

What a shame. He'll have to turn over all of his ill-gotten tokens.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on December 12, 2019

The battle between Flo and Willie makes both look bad. The way Willie has gone after his “friends” still at Flo make him look like a complete loser.

I enjoy Flo’s FRL now far more than when he was on. His ego is LARGE.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 12, 2019

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"The battle between Flo and Willie makes both look bad. The way Willie has gone after his “friends” still at Flo make him look like a complete loser.

I enjoy Flo’s FRL now far more than when he was on. His ego is LARGE."

Agree esp. your observations on Willie.

Not that anyone asked but I really like Mike Mal's work. He's a good natured, intelligent wrestling junkie and he gives great insight with Behind the Dirt. His interviews are excellent as well.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on December 12, 2019

YES!!!! BTD segments by Mike Mal are fantastic!

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on December 13, 2019

I have disagreed with Willie and more than one occasion over the years about his views but very few are able to assess and predict talent and production the way that will he did.
Mike Mal is serviceable but listening to him call a match is brutal. Takes him forever to spit out a thought and his analogies are corny, They have to have Bader there to save him from himself. Old people (hank) would enjoy him the most????.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 14, 2019

Quote from Liam Bateman's post:

"I have disagreed with Willie and more than one occasion over the years about his views but very few are able to assess and predict talent and production the way that will he did.
Mike Mal is serviceable but listening to him call a match is brutal. Takes him forever to spit out a thought and his analogies are corny, They have to have Bader there to save him from himself. Old people (hank) would enjoy him the most????."

Calling a match requires a different skill than conducting an interview or producing a segment on mat technique. All people are not good at all things.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2