Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Discussion: The Transfer Portal
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 7, 2019

Since its inception, I've wondered what it will look like as far as an actual occurrence. Now that it's here, we see.

My question for discussion is what is YOUR thought about the portal - good, bad, indifferent, and why. What is your reason (are your reasons) for liking/disliking it?

Is it a good thing for college athletics as a whole? Is it good for teams, athletes, and future recruits? Will it enhance the sport at the college level or will provide an overall negative moving forward???

Discuss...

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Matt Hall added to this discussion on November 7, 2019

Transfer portal is great for the athlete (unless you are an athlete holding spot at destination program)

Transfer portal is awful for smaller programs/non competitive programs

Transfer portal is awful for fans of smaller programs/non competitive programs

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 7, 2019

Quote from Matt Hall's post:

"Transfer portal is great for the athlete (unless you are an athlete holding spot at destination program)

Transfer portal is awful for smaller programs/non competitive programs

Transfer portal is awful for fans of smaller programs/non competitive programs"

I agree Matt. I wouldn't say transfer portal is great for big schools because their guys can get cherrypicked as well (see Eierman).

I'm not a fan as this will lead to the continual recruiting for athletes - even after they are enrolled and competing for another school.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 8, 2019

We are seeing the same trend in D1 that we've seen for years in high school. Top talent starts at one program but migrates to another to fill holes in lineup, get better training partners, join RTC's, etc...

Iowa has had a lot of transfers in recent years. Bucks have had some but only McKenna has been a real difference maker.

Patrick Niemann added to this discussion on November 8, 2019

I can see both sides of the argument.

I have no problem with the portal, but I do think there should be more restrictions.

All transfers must sit a year, unless team is dropped or the coach leaves.

Only allowed one transfer. Not sure how many athletes, especially wrestlers are moving to 3 schools in 4-5 years but you should get the point.

Not a huge point of emphasis, but I would like it if the student athlete had to change conference.

What I do like about the portal is that it does allow athletes an opportunity to improve their situation, whatever it may be. If a 19 y/o is not happy about a decision they made at one of the craziest times of their life 10 months prior. They should have a chance to improve their situation. As I do not think all transfers are for making an already elite team even better.

Now, as a Kent St fan I would be very disappointed when Conel transferred. But I totally get why he did it.

As a Buckeye fan, it was disappointing to see Kirklevitt leave. He IMO was a huge piece for this team over the next 4 years. But at the same time I was very appreciative of McKenna coming in and being phenomenal.

SO, like most issues there is a good and bad side to it. Try to keep an open mind and see all sides to each individual situation.

That being said, I am sure Eierrman is heading to Iowa.
which is better than PSU I guess.

Britt Malinsky added to this discussion on November 9, 2019

Quote from Patrick Niemann's post:

"I can see both sides of the argument.

I have no problem with the portal, but I do think there should be more restrictions.

All transfers must sit a year, unless team is dropped or the coach leaves.

Only allowed one transfer. Not sure how many athletes, especially wrestlers are moving to 3 schools in 4-5 years but you should get the point.

Not a huge point of emphasis, but I would like it if the student athlete had to change conference.

What I do like about the portal is that it does allow athletes an opportunity to improve their situation, whatever it may be. If a 19 y/o is not happy about a decision they made at one of the craziest times of their life 10 months prior. They should have a chance to improve their situation. As I do not think all transfers are for making an already elite team even better.

Now, as a Kent St fan I would be very disappointed when Conel transferred. But I totally get why he did it.

As a Buckeye fan, it was disappointing to see Kirklevitt leave. He IMO was a huge piece for this team over the next 4 years. But at the same time I was very appreciative of McKenna coming in and being phenomenal.

SO, like most issues there is a good and bad side to it. Try to keep an open mind and see all sides to each individual situation.

That being said, I am sure Eierrman is heading to Iowa.
which is better than PSU I guess."

Here's the thing about the portal: The only thing is, the coach doesn't have to give permission to talk to other schools. That said, if a coach wants to play hardball, he can still withhold the wrestler's release.

Don Bork added to this discussion on November 9, 2019

Which would not be a selling point when recruiting, knowing a coach or school would use that. The portal is clearly,now, a part of the landscape of collegiate sports. If an athlete wants to transfer for whatever reason, strong arming him/her is not a wise choice IMHO.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on November 9, 2019

I agree with Don. The transfer portal represents a continuum shift towards more favorable enforcement rules that center on the athletes rights vs the programs control of those athletes. It forces coaches to not only recruit, but continue to work hard to keep the guys in your program and sustain good training situations aimed at getting guys to the Olympics/pros. The transfer portal, sixth year eligibility rulings, and an overall lessening of restrictions represent the NCAA recognizing a need to placate athletes and avoid eventual compensation plans (which I don’t think is economically feasible for the future of “amateur” athletics).

Britt Malinsky added to this discussion on November 9, 2019

Quote from Don Bork's post:

"Which would not be a selling point when recruiting, knowing a coach or school would use that. The portal is clearly,now, a part of the landscape of collegiate sports. If an athlete wants to transfer for whatever reason, strong arming him/her is not a wise choice IMHO."

What, like strong-arming wasn't part of the landscape when Bubba Jenkins was blocked from two entire conferences?

Last edited by Britt Malinsky on November 10, 2019; edited 1 time in total

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on November 9, 2019

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Bucks have had some but only McKenna has been a real difference maker."

That Pucillo fella wasn’t shabby.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on November 10, 2019

Quote from Britt Malinsky's post:

"

Quote from Don Bork's post:

"Which would not be a selling point when recruiting, knowing a coach or school would use that. The portal is clearly,now, a part of the landscape of collegiate sports. If an athlete wants to transfer for whatever reason, strong arming him/her is not a wise choice IMHO."

What, like strong-arming wasn't part of the landscape when Bubba Jenkins was blocked from two entire conferences?"

I think that’s the point. That kind of stuff can’t happen now. The balance of power has shifted slightly in the athletes favor. Looking at Ohio State as an example...it’s clear that Sasso is anchored down at 149. If Keyshawn Hayes wants to wrestle for Ohio State it’ll be up at 157 (if he can even beat the other two in that slot, word is he can’t). If his goal is to be an AA his chances are substantially better at 149. He’s a grad, why not put your name in the portal and transfer to a program with an availability. TR would have zero control over that scenario, and it would behoove him to be seen as an athlete focused coach rather than the strong arm type. That’s why football coaches quit blocking transfers years ago. It impacts future recruiting to be seen as a jerk.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 10, 2019

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Bucks have had some but only McKenna has been a real difference maker."

That Pucillo fella wasn’t shabby."

Standing corrected although I was thinking more about guys that had success at one program and then left for a better one. Pucillo's circumstances were different.

We could create an interesting thread out of guys who've transferred in or out and how it worked out.

► Add to the Discussion