Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks Need To Redshirt Heinselman and Kharchla
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 11, 2019

My takeaway from last night's dual was that this Bucks team simply isn't going to be near the level of the last five seasons. Moore, Sasso and Pletcher are all among the best at their weights but there is a huge gap between them and the rest of their lineup. Right now the fourth best looking starter is Kaleb Romero. He looks improved. But is he a serious AA contender? Jury's still out on that one.

The rest of the lineup is either guys at the wrong weights (Smith, Kinner) or guys that still look like back ups (Straub, Steiner and Cleary).

Obviously the best 125 is Heinselman but he's still undersized and would benefit immensely from a redshirt. And Kharchla can step in and help immediately but adding a 4th AA prospect at a deep weight still doesn't put the Bucks close to title contention.

Take the bitter pill, redshirt these two talented guys and lose a few more duals. Then, next year, you can put this lineup on the mat:

125: Heinselman (soph)
133: Decatur (frosh)
141: Kinner (soph)
149: Sasso (soph)
157: RECRUIT SOMEONE
165: Kharchla (frosh)
174: Romero, Smith or Jordan (jr, soph)
184: Romero, Smith or Jordan (jr, soph)
197: Hoffman (soph)
285: Singletary (jr)

That lineup will be exciting with potential to become one of the best in the country for a few seasons especially if you can add a couple excellent recruits. The Bucks need to become realistic about who they currently are and what would be the best path moving forward. Obviously, TR, Jaggers, Tervel, Bo and Logan aren't stupid. And I'm sure there are considerations of which I'm unaware. But my view from the cheap seats is that this year's Bucks team just lacks zip. It's time to make hard decisions and build for the future in my opinion.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on November 11, 2019

Hank, I think you’ll get your wish for Kharchla. Sounds like he’ll be on the open circuit all year long. Heinselman however has already competed attached and thus cannot redshirt this season. Unless I’m missing something, he’s your guy at 125.

This team will be fine. Three out of 10 weights are in great shape. Plus, Romero looks improved up a weight and Singletary is an AA threat. Key will be Kinner, Smith and at some point Hoffman competing with consistent energy at unnatural weights.

Only 3-4 others teams would not trade their lineup for OSU’s.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on November 11, 2019

I’m curious about the redshirt rules in wrestling. In football, players can play in 4 games and still redshirt. Is there a similar rule for wrestling? This changed for football maybe last year.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 11, 2019

Quote from Mark Cummings's post:

"I’m curious about the redshirt rules in wrestling. In football, players can play in 4 games and still redshirt. Is there a similar rule for wrestling? This changed for football maybe last year."

Crazy that football, with an 85 scholarships (22 starters), gets this leeway but wrestling with 9.9 scollys (10 starters) doesn’t. This should be changed.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on November 11, 2019

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"
Obviously the best 125 is Heinselman but he's still undersized and would benefit immensely from a redshirt. "

What exactly would benefit him? He's had a year in the system, competing against the best available. He's had a year to put on size. How would going against weak competition help him? I understand how a true freshman would benefit getting acclimated to college life and college sized opponents but he's already done this.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 11, 2019

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"

"
Obviously the best 125 is Heinselman but he's still undersized and would benefit immensely from a redshirt. "

What exactly would benefit him? He's had a year in the system, competing against the best available. He's had a year to put on size. How would going against weak competition help him? I understand how a true freshman would benefit getting acclimated to college life and college sized opponents but he's already done this."

You might be right. My sense of him is that he's still not big. Maybe he never will be? Minny had a great 125 several years ago who was small. Can't remember his name but he was dynamite. Cornell's 133 last season upset Pletcher in the dual. he was also not big.

My thinking was that a year to redshirt would help him add size and gain even more experience. Then he'd have 3 years at 125 while the Bucks would have time to recruit a replacement. Plus he'd be part of a very good team.

This is not a great year in D1. PSU, Iowa and Okie State should be loaded. Then there seems to be a big drop off. Bucks have a shot to squeeze in for 4th.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on November 11, 2019

"
This is not a great year in D1. PSU, Iowa and Okie State should be loaded. Then there seems to be a big drop off. Bucks have a shot to squeeze in for 4th."

PSU and Iowa are way out in front. Okie State not so much. The #3 spot is definitely up for grabs.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 11, 2019

Certainly the coaching staff knew Henselman was undersized and presumably made the intentional effort to increase it during the off-season(?)...if that didn’t pan out, why waste the RS opportunity?

David Brown added to this discussion on November 11, 2019

I can't believe a year later and we are still talking about Malik being a small 125. He should not have been small last year with nearly a year to gain weight after HS.
If he is smallish still, and I am not saying he is, then there is a problem. Any strength coach worth his salt can add a few ounces of muscle per week to a motivated athlete.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on November 11, 2019

Quote from David Brown's post:

"I can't believe a year later and we are still talking about Malik being a small 125. He should not have been small last year with nearly a year to gain weight after HS.
If he is smallish still, and I am not saying he is, then there is a problem. Any strength coach worth his salt can add a few ounces of muscle per week to a motivated athlete."

Agreed.

If he is no longer "small" then size can no longer be used as an excuse. If he is still "small" then something's wrong in the weight room.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 11, 2019

"I can't believe a year later and we are still talking about Malik being a small 125. He should not have been small last year with nearly a year to gain weight after HS.
If he is smallish still, and I am not saying he is, then there is a problem. Any strength coach worth his salt can add a few ounces of muscle per week to a motivated athlete."

By the eye test, Malik is bigger than last year but he is still on the small side For the level and conference his is competing in. Some body types just don’t put on muscle mass as easily as others do and he is naturally a small dude.

The big 125 lber’s all dwarf him. Another year to add a few more lbs of muscle would serve him very well.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on November 11, 2019

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

"

Agreed.

If he is no longer "small" then size can no longer be used as an excuse. If he is still "small" then something's wrong in the weight room."

This is a gross over simplification\generalization and completely false.

Britt Malinsky added to this discussion on November 11, 2019

Oh, if only McKenna and Martin had redshirted last year...

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 12, 2019

Quote from Britt Malinsky's post:

"Oh, if only McKenna and Martin had redshirted last year..."

Interesting. Martin would have to face off with Zahid to win NCAA's. His chances were better last season. McKenna would be the obvious #1 at 141.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on November 13, 2019

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

"

Agreed.

If he is no longer "small" then size can no longer be used as an excuse. If he is still "small" then something's wrong in the weight room."

This is a gross over simplification\generalization and completely false."

I'll admit that it is an oversimplification, but I wouldn't say that it's "completely false." Can you please elaborate?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next