Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: “We’ve got some midyear guys coming in.”
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 14, 2019

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Tom Ryan in an interview with Flo after last night’s match was addressing unsettled weights in the lineup when he mentioned “we’ve for some midyear guys coming in.” Anyone know who Ryan’s talking about? He said he couldn’t mention them until they sign. The only name I can come up with is Anthony Echemendia."

great call by Drew Taylor (i expected it might be from Dwight from parts-unknown, but this former poster is MIA)

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 14, 2019

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"I get the sense many of the posters here are the type of fans who start talking Browns draft in October.

Start your best guys ASAP. Focus on putting your best foot forward this year. Waiting until next year year after year has its faults and limitations as well."

Ouch! I used to laugh at Browns draft talk because the only certainty was that they'd goof it up. They still are to some extent....antonio calloway? Austin Corbett?

Bucks always start their best guys with almost no exception. So, regardless of how some of us feel, Tom Ryan isn't likely to deviate.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 14, 2019

Go Browns! Beat the Steelers.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 14, 2019

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"This kid is a phenomenal talent, no doubt about it. And in a HS room he was able to win a HS state title less than a year removed from a Cuban room where he trained exclusively in FS. But the college game is a different animal. There is riding time and mat wrestling in college. And to expect this kid to step right in and compete with solid collegiate competitors in a sport that's got obvious differences from the sport he excels in is ignorant at best."

Chris, I think we are seeing that FS vs Folk with Kharchla right now in his matches. In FS he was a beast with the gut wrench and tilts and teched a lot of opponents, whereas now we are seeing some closer matches in folkstyle because of the scoring differences FS/folk.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on November 14, 2019

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"This kid is a phenomenal talent, no doubt about it. And in a HS room he was able to win a HS state title less than a year removed from a Cuban room where he trained exclusively in FS. But the college game is a different animal. There is riding time and mat wrestling in college. And to expect this kid to step right in and compete with solid collegiate competitors in a sport that's got obvious differences from the sport he excels in is ignorant at best."

Chris, I think we are seeing that FS vs Folk with Kharchla right now in his matches. In FS he was a beast with the gut wrench and tilts and teched a lot of opponents, whereas now we are seeing some closer matches in folkstyle because of the scoring differences FS/folk."

Absolutely. And there's not a soul on the planet that doesn't see massive upside with Kharchla too. It's just going to take time to polish the top/bottom position to get them both serviceable enough that their neutral game can dominate and win matches. Personally, I just feel it's a bit of a leap to suggest a kid can jump right in and be an AA/Champ based on his ability from only the neutral position. College coaches/wrestlers aren't dumb. Everyone will strategize to keep those matches on the mat as much as possible to level the playing field. I sure as hell would!

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 14, 2019

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Go Browns! Beat the Steelers."

Booooo!!!!!!!

#HereWeGoSteelers

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 14, 2019

this is big for this season.. don't know what wt but Yes absolutely mid year Echemendia can start.

Ohio St staff knew they would be against it if they lost him to ASU, IA STATE or IOWA. Those teams all need his wt. Any of those teams with him could steal a trophy from the Buckeyes.

Ryan believes based on what he has seen during his training, that he can beat anyone.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on November 14, 2019

Sasso, Echemendia, Karchla could be a murderers row for years to come.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 14, 2019

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"Sasso, Echemendia, Karchla could be a murderers row for years to come."

Bang!

Jason L Jackson....since you live in Ohio and root for the Steelers, I've banned you from Mister Brisket. Unless you plan to spend a lot of money...

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 14, 2019

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Bang!

Jason L Jackson....since you live in Ohio and root for the Steelers, I've banned you from Mister Brisket. Unless you plan to spend a lot of money..."

Here, here!!!

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 15, 2019

"

Bang!

Jason L Jackson....since you live in Ohio and root for the Steelers, I've banned you from Mister Brisket. Unless you plan to spend a lot of money..."

Hey, at least I don't root for that team up north line some people...

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on November 15, 2019

"My first instinct is to say that it would be a waste to start Echemedia as a true frosh arriving second semester. I'm much rather allow him to get used to school, practice, etc...

If he's really a talent, let's add him to next season's stacked roster."

Agreed completely. If there was ever a perfect candidate for a redshirt year to adjust to a new life, he would be it.

BUT--there is also the school of thought that if you get him on the mat competing out of the gate, he's more likely to stick around for 4 years.

I think in this case you do what's best for the kid and if he changes his mind again so be it--18 months ago he didn't even know he was going to be in this country, I'm not going to fault him for being indecisive.

Regardless of what happens, man what an opportunity he has and what a story. Leaves his family and country behind at 18 to pursue what he thinks, but can't be sure, is going to be a better life. Travels through Central America at 18, hires someone to take him to the border. Stays at a holding center for asylum seekers for months. Wrestles a year in high school, wins a state title. Blows everyone out at Fargo, in both styles. Now he's enrolling at one of the best universities in the world, free of charge, with possibly the best wrestling training center in the world, with great teammates, and great coaches.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 15, 2019

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"Regardless of what happens, man what an opportunity he has and what a story. Leaves his family and country behind at 18 to pursue what he thinks, but can't be sure, is going to be a better life. Travels through Central America at 18, hires someone to take him to the border. Stays at a holding center for asylum seekers for months. Wrestles a year in high school, wins a state title. Blows everyone out at Fargo, in both styles. Now he's enrolling at one of the best universities in the world, free of charge, with possibly the best wrestling training center in the world, with great teammates, and great coaches."

ONLY IN AMERICA!!!!!

Jared Ball added to this discussion on November 16, 2019

We do have a track record of having guys that are only good In the neutral position
and have managed to do just fine. It’s not like he is unfamiliar to the bottom position completely. I’m curious how his arrival effects future recruits. He hammered Voinavich at Fargo and would appear to fill a slot that Gallagher was being eyed for. Does this push Gallagher even closer to being a Hawkeye?

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on November 16, 2019

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"Does this push Gallagher even closer to being a Hawkeye?"

I don't think they'll ever be the same weight--Paddy is bigger.

Echemendia I don't see going over 157.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next