Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Notre Dame College inks two of Ohio's best
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on August 6, 2007

Notre Dame College got a couple great late commitments.
- Matt McGovern (Columbus St. Francis DeSales) - 3rd at 140 in D2
- Mike Mahon (Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller) - 3rd at 160 in D1

McGovern was the Steubenville district champion and lost only to undefeated Matt Reedy in the semifinals. McGovern had notable victories over two-time state finalist Chris Andrews (at state) and state champion Zach Toal (in the finals at the Brecksville Invitational). McGovern finished 5th in the state as a sophomore at 119 pounds.

Mahon was the Fairfield district champion and split matches with two-time state placer Mazin Shalash at the state tournament. Mahon placed at state three times himself (3rd, 7th, and 8th). Maybe even more impressive was that Mahon placed twice at the Ironman, 4th as a senior and 5th as a junior.

Here are links to the NDC official press releases...
**McGovern: http://www.notredamecollege.edu/athletics/pressreleases/2007/WRST_McGovern7-24-07.htm
**Mahon: http://www.notredamecollege.edu/athletics/pressreleases/2007/WRST_Mahon7-27-07.htm

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brendan Moody added to this discussion on August 7, 2007

Very nice to see Ohio College teams getting some good in state guys. I must say that Notre Dame in going to put itself into a position to place very high in the NAIA a lot earlier than expected. Keep up the good work.

Doug Noel added to this discussion on August 7, 2007

Great to see Ohio kids stay in Ohio. I believe Kurt Wolff from Genoa also is attending. Looks like a tough group!!!

Mark Viviani added to this discussion on August 20, 2007

I wrestled mahon when i was in high school, hes very tough, best of luck to him, also all these recruits that Notre Dame is signing are they getting scholarships or how is that working for them?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 21, 2007

Mark--NDC is NAIA and can therefore spend whatever they choose on recruits. It's tricky, however. While there's no limit on spending, there is a limit on the number of scholarship athletes that are allowed to participate in the lineup in a given year. I wrote an article roughly a year ago on NDC. There's probably a link somewhere on this site (try the articles link on the homepage). As I recall, they can allow wrestlers in their lineup throughout the season that are receiving up to 8 full rides.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on August 21, 2007

Here is a link to the article...
http://www.ohiowrestling.net/articles/archives/70

I believe you are correct, Hank. They can give unlimited scholarships (athletic or otherwise) but they can only wrestle 8.0 scholarships. I'm not sure if it is 8.0 for the whole season or 8.0 per event. Wrestling 8.0 for a whole season would be difficult to administer if you are giving out many more than that.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 22, 2007

I remember my discussion with Romano--and it was for the entire season! He said it made putting the lineup together tricky. The possibility existed that certain kids would be used even if other wrestlers were better. On the other hand, who's monitoring to make sure that teams comply?

Does anyone know if Victer Crenshaw ended up at NDC?

Don Mahon added to this discussion on August 22, 2007

Victer is still working on the details to go to NDC. Should know for sure in the next 7-14 days. He is one of my boy's favorite work out partners, hope it happens!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 23, 2007

Don--do you know why Victer is no longer at CSU? I understand if you can't respond but appreciate any light you can shed.

Don Mahon added to this discussion on August 25, 2007

Hank, I do have an answer as to why Victer is no longer there. Only lives about 3 miles from us though-would be great for ride sharing! Not to mention a strong potential 157-165 combo for NDC.

► Add to the Discussion