Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Bo Nickal
Luke Moore added to this discussion on December 8, 2019

I just watched his Grappling match on Flo. 15 minutes of grappling. A few takeaways:

1- What in the world is grappling? I was watching, trying to figure it out...just could not get it! There were many situations where I was like, HUH??? Although, the announcers thought it was awesome! Is this how non wrestlers feel when they watch wrestling?

2- Apparently, Nickal just almost beat one fo the best grapplers???

3- I know Nickal gave some pretty rough losses to the Bucks over the years, but it is hard not to like this guy! He is funny on social media, his wrestling is truly fun to watch, and he just likes to compete! And it looks like he has fun doing all of it!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on December 8, 2019

I started doing brazilian jiu jitsu when I was in high school and Judo at Ohio State for a few years, and had been pretty up to speed with the latest of what was going on in submission grappling. I've been keeping my eye on it again in the last few years since I've been off the mats and the submission wrestling/grappling game has evolved immensely in that time as far as positions (some of which would appear very unusual) and techniques from these positions. The variations of the guard position has exploded and I'd certainly be out of my element now competing against it as I was also a guard passing pressure guy.

To preface this, I don't have access to Flo, so I'm going off of a review and screenshots of the match.

From what I understood, these were modified grappling rules with no leg locks and I was unfamiliar with the scoring rules were. His opponent was Gordon Ryan who just recently won at the most prestigious submission wrestling tournament in the world at high weight class and the absolute division. From the review and screenshots I saw, there were several flying scissor takedown attempts by Gordon Ryan, which would have put him into positions very advantageous for initiating leg locks IF he could have used them. He attempted sweeps to achieve top position but Bo defended them very well. Otherwise, Bo controlled the standup game (no surprise) until he finally opened late in the match after Gordon Ryan got frustrated and started getting desperate, defending a few submission attempts before he finally got locked up in a triangle choke.

Overall, pretty good for what may have been Bo Nickal's first competitive submission wrestling match. Although I believe he's been training for some time in BJJ because he does have aspirations of MMA later. With his strong base of wrestling and knowing enough BJJ at this point to keep himself out of trouble from Gordon Ryan as long as he did even with no legs is pretty telling of where he's going.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on December 8, 2019

The match is a reflection of how high-level wrestlers will do if they transition to grappling(jujitsu). They will do very very well, wrestlers have an ability to control and when they learn to heal locks, wrist locks, passing guard he will be unstoppable, but you have to modify the rules to compete with Ryan, if not Nickal would have gotten a lesson is joint pain. Ryan is a professional at his sport. Nickal is a professional at his, Ryan may never be as good at wrestling as Nikal, but with time Nickal could be as good as Ryan, my opinion. I would say that all the world team members could compete in jujitsu. They may not know how to tap their opponent, but their opponent will see pressure, pace, and intensity that is only known to our sport and. Nobody puts more time in their sport than a high-level wrestler and that puts them way ahead of the game when it comes to jujitsu. The more money that becomes available in jujitsu the higher probability wrestlers may transition. The sport of jujitsu needs to go to absolute submission and that's when it will be a very exciting sport to watch. The best tournament in the world(ADCC) Ryan won on a negative point and they had 37 matches decided by referee decisions. Absolute submission is very exciting and the way the sport can grow.(still, need rules though). As a side note flo sees growth in grappling and the more they have these matches the more we will watch.

Side note: Do you guys think that Cael would wrestle joey davis in a folkstyle match? How much money would it take and would it be possible at Cael age(i am sure he can still beat everyone in the room). Would you guys watch that?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on December 8, 2019

Ryan said he is having a modified freestyle match with Bo because he didn’t want to only have Bo come into his world and not return the favor and go into Bo’s world.

Also interesting remarks about Pat Downey. If you have a flo account, go to flograppling and watch his pre-fight interview.

Here’s the interview: https://www.flograppling.com/video/6607565-gordon-ryan-talks-bo-nickal-the-future-of-wrestling-vs-jiu-jitsu-events

Another great interview by who I assume is Gordon Ryan's coach: https://www.flograppling.com/events/6547139-2019-third-coast-grappling-championship-3/videos?playing=6609932&limit=60

► Add to the Discussion