Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Casey Finnicum - Ohio State Recruit
Matt Miller added to this discussion on March 13, 2008

What happened to him his senior year? Why didnt he qualify for states?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on March 13, 2008

I believe he injured his leg and couldn't wrestle.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on March 13, 2008

I had a brief phone conversation with Finnicum after he verbally committed to Ohio State. After placing sixth in the state as a freshman at 160 pounds and finishing seventh as a sophomore, he dominated en route to a Washington state championship at 171 pounds as a junior. His state tournament matches ended in a pin in 3:04, a pin in 4:34, a 12-0 major decision, and a 5-0 decision. He was all set for great things his senior year when disaster struck and he broke his ankle in a football scrimmage.

He will be one of the Buckeyes' answers for the vacant spot at 174 pounds next season.

Matt Miller added to this discussion on March 13, 2008

Got it... Thanks guys.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 13, 2008

Dan??? You stated that he would be an answer to 174...do you doubt Magrum's ability to a) make it there, and b) compete while there? Or will the two of them be doing battle for the spot. (Or do you have some inside info as to where Cody will be competing next year...hmmm...I wouldn't put it past you! ;)

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on March 13, 2008

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Dan??? You stated that he would be an answer to 174...do you doubt Magrum's ability to a) make it there, and b) compete while there? Or will the two of them be doing battle for the spot. (Or do you have some inside info as to where Cody will be competing next year...hmmm...I wouldn't put it past you! ;)"

Mark:
I purposefully made it plural as "one of the answers" and not just "the answer." I think if Cody Magrum can make 174 healthfully, he is definitely the favorite to start. I'm not so sure he can make 174 healthfully though. I'm no Tom Ryan, but just by looking at body type and results, I think Magrum's best competitive classes would be 184 and 197. Some guy named Pucillo might have something to say about Magrum starting at the 184 pound class though.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 13, 2008

I'll have to check up on that Pucillo character. As for now though, the jury is still out as for the 184 starter next year. <smile>

Cliff Cahill added to this discussion on March 14, 2008

beware of those wrestlers from state of Washington
http://www.ncaawrestlingtournament.com/dan-gable-vs-larry-owings/

Robert Seibert added to this discussion on March 14, 2008

I love the "Gable Story". Gable will one day be a name of one of my kids, lol.

I love it.

No, the thread is about a wrestlers from great state of Washington performing great feats - like beating Gable in NCAA. The reference is only an example of why to watch those wrestlers from Washington as in the topic of this tread - an Ohio State wrestling recruit from state of Washington.

Just having fun on this rain day.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 14, 2008

Cliff...while it's raining and you're surfing the net...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L-8LDubU4w

Here's the highlight reel I made. It's super choppy online but in DVD format it is crystal clear.

Ch, ch, ch, ch, check it out!

I checked it out on your first announcement. Yes it was difficult to follow via internet. Why not get it on Matside. You might want a front end leader of yourself expaining yourself and yo9ur connection with wrestling then some sizzle - say 10-20 seconds. Then run your work. If anyone helped you then you might want a quick text graphic as ending credits.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 15, 2008

Will do.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on March 16, 2008

So it appears the consensus is that Magrum and Finnicum will compete for the 174 spot. Cliff has suggested that Johnstone move up to 174 and I (like many other) think that is highly unlikely. A potential 174 that nobody has mentioned is Sean Nemec. With the emergence of Johnstone and the studliness of Sponseller it is a possibility thatr Nemec will be squeezed out. How would he fair against Magrum or Finnicum? This guy was a 160 two years ago (albeit a light one), is it really that big of stretch to think he could compete at 174? I know he would be giving up size but if he is gives you the best chance to win, use him or waste a year of eligibility.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on March 16, 2008

I just don't think Nemec can make the jump to 174 as Sean already looked pretty muscular at 160. It's been talked about before about Jason having a phenomenal metabolism and he struggled in the past to make it to 157, least of all making it to 174. I am still thinking it will be a battle at 157 between Jason and Sean and one of them will just have to sit out in the reserve role. If Magrum is able to cut down to 174 and hack it, all power to him, but I think the toll of having to stay there will cut down on his mental drive as it has done for many in his same position.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next