Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Cassar and Conel out for the season
Ron Hreha added to this discussion on January 7, 2020

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2020/January/07/Media-reports-Anthony-Cassar-and-Kyle-Conel-out-for-the-season.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 8, 2020

Is Penn State even wrestling this year? I’ve seen one dual where results have been posted. Very few of their guys even competed in the open as well. I know Cael is a genius and all but if your a PSU fan you haven’t had much to watch or cheer on this year. The Cassar loss is substantial, but they can take or leave Conel. You never want to see someone go out like that, but they plug in two guys that are still AA quality. As weak as heavy is you could see Nevils slipping in as a low AA candidate, and if he’s healthy Shakur could do the same. They will still be a very formidable team, and with their track record I think people are writing them off entirely too early. Lots of things can happen between now and March.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 8, 2020

JBall: I am not writing off PSU, but I think - at this point - it's Iowa's to lose. PSU is a solid choice for runner-up.

Interestingly, I asked someone recently, who gets 3rd. About 16 teams were mentioned! HAHAHA!!!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 8, 2020

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"JBall: I am not writing off PSU, but I think - at this point - it's Iowa's to lose. PSU is a solid choice for runner-up.

Interestingly, I asked someone recently, who gets 3rd. About 16 teams were mentioned! HAHAHA!!!"

In terms of rankings, the Bucks are generally considered the best contender for 3rd place. But the margin for error is zero and they'll need help from guys like Romero, Smith, GTG, Decatur and Heinselman. Cleary and Hoffman can't really be expected to do much at this point. It will be interesting to see if Rocky J gets a shot to show what he can do at 184. Obviously, everything depends on Sasso, Pletch and Moore with the latter two having the best shots at finals.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on January 8, 2020

Kind of bummed about Cassar because this puts Steveson #1 at 285. I'm just not a fan of that guy and I think Cassar was the only person who would be a favorite over him at this time.

I'd be pretty bummed if I have to watch Steveson capture his 1st title on the last match Saturday in front of the hometown Minnesota crowd. Makes it even worse if OSU has a very poor tournament performance as well.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on January 8, 2020

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"Kind of bummed about Cassar because this puts Steveson #1 at 285. I'm just not a fan of that guy and I think Cassar was the only person who would be a favorite over him at this time.

I'd be pretty bummed if I have to watch Steveson capture his 1st title on the last match Saturday in front of the hometown Minnesota crowd. Makes it even worse if OSU has a very poor tournament performance as well."

Well... considering Michigan just lost a dual to Oregon State I don't see why you can't put that rivalry on hold for this season and back Parris to knock off Gable.

Gary Lusson added to this discussion on January 8, 2020

IMO there's no hvywt. who's improved more--size,strength and skill--than Mason Parris, none who impress me more, and I think he has a real chance against Steveson. And I'm a Buckeye! :-)

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on January 8, 2020

Quote from Gary Lusson's post:

"IMO there's no hvywt. who's improved more--size,strength and skill--than Mason Parris, none who impress me more, and I think he has a real chance against Steveson. And I'm a Buckeye! :-)"

Parris best Zare who beat Petriashvili... so technically I think that makes him the #1 heavyweight in the world.

John Drumm added to this discussion on January 8, 2020

I am looking forward to GTG busting up some brackets.
I would guess many (Non-Buckeye fans) thought the dual was over when Hall stepped on the mat-Bonus points were inevitable. Also guess the coaches told Gary during pre-match pep talk, among other things- whatever you do, don't give up bonus points. So the wrestler has a mindset and tunnel vision not to lose by 8 or more points for the team.
It was not until the end of the match that it looked like Gary said I can beat this guy and started wrestling to win the match.
Long story, short, big confidence builder for GTG.
Coach Dlagnev will coach him up.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 8, 2020

Quote from John Drumm's post:

"I am looking forward to GTG busting up some brackets.
I would guess many (Non-Buckeye fans) thought the dual was over when Hall stepped on the mat-Bonus points were inevitable. Also guess the coaches told Gary during pre-match pep talk, among other things- whatever you do, don't give up bonus points. So the wrestler has a mindset and tunnel vision not to lose by 8 or more points for the team.
It was not until the end of the match that it looked like Gary said I can beat this guy and started wrestling to win the match.
Long story, short, big confidence builder for GTG.
Coach Dlagnev will coach him up."

As long as he stayed off his back, I thought GTG could hold to a decision. Only Steveson and Cassar have the offense to repeatedly take down a big, strong opponent. There are other good heavies but none like those two...and Cassar is out.

► Add to the Discussion