Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Sasso win over #1 ranked Lugo
Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 25, 2020

Respect. I think this win deserved a thread all its' own.

He was masterful in countering a high performing Lugo.

He did it in Carver Hawkeye Arena.

The referee made the right calls and he did not get homered, (although every Iowa fan on every public forum thinks Lugo got robbed.) It's telling when people attack the person rather than the call and have no basis for the call. Brands swore Sasso went to his hip which he didn't in part to his amazing flexibility and kinesthetic awareness.

To know the rules and wrestle the gray areas (unorthodox and positional) was just outstanding. Thank you Sammy Sasso for your show excellence.

Not to mention your outstanding ride on top in regulation and in overtime. You should have the confidence that you are ahead by 2 points due to your ability to escape and ride your opponent. All you have to do is execute.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 25, 2020

Rex--I'll understand that I saw something special but I'm grateful you're there to explain why.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 25, 2020

Thanks for the compliment Hank, but I am just happy that someone wrestles in such a way that it compels me to thank him.

Next up, Brayton Lee. Sammy didn't have an answer to his shots the first time around. Looking to see what adjustment was made and where he goes from here.

If he is able to stop or counter Lee shots, he has shown very important progress.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on January 25, 2020

Sammy’s counter game was astonishing IMO. He was in some deep doo on several occasions, and each time kept his cool and awareness. Managing position, not letting Lugo wrap the leg, etc.

I’d prefer if he didn’t give up the leg so much, even if he is spectacular there. He puts his knees in very precarious positions as a result. But man, his body awareness is something. Reminds me a bit of Jaggers.

His conditioning late looked improved. I loved his rides. Pressure, changing off. And his work on bottom.

He is already one of my favorites ever. I just have this feeling about him. Like when the lights shine brightest, he is going to deliver. He has some kind of “moxey”. Or something.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 26, 2020

I think Freddy hit the nail on the head. Sammy does give up his legs off single attempts in hopes of baiting them into his single leg counters. I think part of the issue with Lee is that he is able to finish quickly and avoid turning the sequence into a scramble. He’s a avoiding areas where Sammy has an advantage. If he wins this he’s number #1 making the Bucks the only team in the country that could boast three #1s.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 26, 2020

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"I think Freddy hit the nail on the head. Sammy does give up his legs off single attempts in hopes of baiting them into his single leg counters. I think part of the issue with Lee is that he is able to finish quickly and avoid turning the sequence into a scramble. He’s a avoiding areas where Sammy has an advantage. If he wins this he’s number #1 making the Bucks the only team in the country that could boast three #1s."

I don’t think he jumps Boo or O’Conner in the rankings. Just my humble opinion.

Ben Watson added to this discussion on January 26, 2020

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"I think Freddy hit the nail on the head. Sammy does give up his legs off single attempts in hopes of baiting them into his single leg counters. I think part of the issue with Lee is that he is able to finish quickly and avoid turning the sequence into a scramble. He’s a avoiding areas where Sammy has an advantage. If he wins this he’s number #1 making the Bucks the only team in the country that could boast three #1s."

I don’t think he jumps Boo or O’Conner in the rankings. Just my humble opinion."

I tend to agree. I think it’s possible he jumps O’Conner with a win over Lee because of O’Conner’s loss to Lugo but Boo is undefeated with some quality wins including 8-3 over Lee.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 26, 2020

cherish this one.

i asked Ryan "Question in your 14 years here has there ever been a match -in regular season -as big as Sasso's win ????

Tom said No.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 26, 2020

I love watching Sammy but that kind of scrambling wrestling seems to leave a lot in the hands of the refs, which could go either way. We'll see tonight if those tight calls go Sammy's way, i.e. the clasping hands in OT where the ref calls it then waves it off??

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 26, 2020

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"cherish this one.

i asked Ryan "Question in your 14 years here has there ever been a match -in regular season -as big as Sasso's win ????

Tom said No."

Man I don’t know if I agree with that. True freshman Hunter Stieber knocked off returning undefeated champ Kellen Russell. And Montel Marion.

Palmer pinned Dustin Schlatter.

There have been some big ones.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 26, 2020

yes u r right there have been some other big ones, but they werent in Carver-Hawkeye where Buckeyes usually go week-kneed. ...ever been there? if so u know its hostile like no where else.

the arena, the booing & hostility, buckeyes team fighting not to implode, and the drama of the entire OT match makes this so special-- imo too like Ryan.

Last edited by Bob Preusse on January 26, 2020; edited 1 time in total

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 26, 2020

To review the three calls in question.

Locking hands, no way. That was a mistake by the official who quickly reversed the call. Non issue.

Takedown attempt on the edge by Lugo in which Sasso used elevator to provide continuous action and defend the attack. There was no control in my opinion. It was a nice attempt by Lugo but again this isn't freestyle. Knowing the rules and being able to create scrambles is acquired skill. Could officials give two, sure but a ref making the right call would not.

The cradle defense was masterful and probably one of the few guys in NCAA wrestling that could pull it off. That was a treat to watch as the creativity and athleticism it took to defend that is outlier stuff. Brands threw the brick but again according to the rules, no two. Even the announcers thought it was going to be two because it was Brands and he "knows his rules".

Yes, three calls were reversed for the opposing team. Rare to see that it in Iowa, but they were the right calls.

Tonight is a different beast as Brayton Lee has shown the ability to finish quickly without entertaining the scramble. I suspect that the tie up and set up has been addressed in order to not give up clean shots and finishes. I can't wait to see what happens. Fingers crossed it's more of the same from Friday night.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 26, 2020

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"yes u r right there have been some other big ones, but they werent in Carver-Hawkeye where Buckeyes usually go week-kneed. ...ever been there? if so u know its hostile like no where else.

the arena, buckeyes team fighting not to implode, and the drama of the entire OT match makes this so special-- imo."

Yes, yes and yes.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 27, 2020

Well Rex, it was more of the same as Friday night.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 27, 2020

Boom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRrjFjJ9fI

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next