Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Sasso win over #1 ranked Lugo
Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 27, 2020

Sasso's defense is quite crafty and impressive. Would sure be nice to see him make and finish some of his own attacks against these top guys, though.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 27, 2020

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Sasso's defense is quite crafty and impressive. Would sure be nice to see him make and finish some of his own attacks against these top guys, though."

He will. But what's good is that he is wrestling with confidence and poise. That hasn't always been the case this season.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 27, 2020

agree more to come i think but this guy is Confident, his D is his O right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed-G3RMtz9k

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 28, 2020

I’ve watched Sasso’s last few matches; ice in his veins...and his opponents are all over his legs on good shots with not much reciprocity.

Not sure how to process it accurately other than it would seem reasonable that with time and maturity (i.e. Romero) his offense will improve.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 28, 2020

On the bright side, at least we know Sammy has superior scrambling ability and you really have to work to get the TD, no easy ones with this guy.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 28, 2020

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"I’ve watched Sasso’s last few matches; ice in his veins...and his opponents are all over his legs on good shots with not much reciprocity.

Not sure how to process it accurately other than it would seem reasonable that with time and maturity (i.e. Romero) his offense will improve."

Agree with all of this.

I think, come MINN2020, he will need an attack. Long three days to be fighting off opponents' leg attacks.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on January 28, 2020

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"I’ve watched Sasso’s last few matches; ice in his veins...and his opponents are all over his legs on good shots with not much reciprocity.

Not sure how to process it accurately other than it would seem reasonable that with time and maturity (i.e. Romero) his offense will improve."

Agree with all of this.

I think, come MINN2020, he will need an attack. Long three days to be fighting off opponents' leg attacks."

He's going to work that inside trip on someone, you can count on it.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 28, 2020

Man, this thread is why this is the best wrestling forum on the planet. I was pumped for Sammy and the wins but kept thinking (even called Luke to discuss) "He can't win 5 straight matches in March without an offensive attack."

Seems like others agree. Add some offense to the scrambling, the fight, and the defense and he's the favorite.

He loves to wrestle, that is clear. And that's half the battle.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on January 28, 2020

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Man, this thread is why this is the best wrestling forum on the planet. I was pumped for Sammy and the wins but kept thinking (even called Luke to discuss) "He can't win 5 straight matches in March without an offensive attack."

Seems like others agree. Add some offense to the scrambling, the fight, and the defense and he's the favorite.

He loves to wrestle, that is clear. And that's half the battle."

I’d add that he has shown promise on the mat, top and bottom.

Ron Hreha added to this discussion on January 28, 2020

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Man, this thread is why this is the best wrestling forum on the planet. I was pumped for Sammy and the wins but kept thinking (even called Luke to discuss) "He can't win 5 straight matches in March without an offensive attack."

He loves to wrestle, that is clear. And that's half the battle."

What about adding some muscle LOL? He seems to look skinnier than just everybody he wrestles. Obviously, it seems to work for him though. Is he tall for the weight? Is he cutting a decent amount of weight?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 28, 2020

Does anyone know why Lee chose neutral in the 3rd period? The scores tied 2-2 and I would think he choses down. Is he that bad on bottom?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 28, 2020

Does Sasso need to make the initial change of level and leg attack to win at NCAAs.

No and sort of.

Mitch Clark had a very average change of level/leg attack. but he had other areas of specialization and means of influencing the positions to achieve those ends.

Some very important things about Sammy, he is attacking as soon as someone shoots on him. Some call this defensive wrestling. However, he has every intention of influencing the position and scoring. That's why it is called counter offense. He has a skillset which negates and confounds conventional wrestling; its a trait of wrestlers that excel like Ben Askren, Kendall Cross, J Jaggers, Mitch Clark.

He moves forward and stays in perpetual movement. I was extremely impressed with his footwork. Also, Lee was exhausted and played the edge of the mat at the end as Sasso was able to maintain a really high pace of movement, ties and change of positions. That is what you want. Check his footwork out again, they don't stop or slow. It was fantastic.

Moore and Pletcher have spoiled us with their non stop change of level and shooting at high frequency.

Sort of.

The problem that can arise is if a referee quantifies shooting as the only methodology of attacking. In that case, they will single wrestlers out and be primed to call them for stalling.

Do you need to shoot to not be called for stalling?

If Sammy were backing up or avoiding ties it would be stalling, but that simply just isn't the case. He moves forward and always looks to score.

While I'm at it, Jordan Decatur All American this year.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 29, 2020

Great insight Rex, as usual. I would also add that Sammy is offensive, Shooting wise, against 95% of his opponents. We’re only talking about a handful of people where he’s struggling to get to legs off of his own attack. Quarter finals on is where I see these types of matches occurring. Much of his success will also depend on his energy level. The further removed from a weigh in the more dynamic he becomes. This has consistently been the case all year. Lee is still his biggest matchup problem moving forward.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 29, 2020

Those of you looking for more O out of Sasso forget how defensive Kyle Dake was as a frosh. Same for Yianni D. Everyone has this notion of how a wrestler has to attack but...as Rex said...you can attack his attack. Ask Ben Askren.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 29, 2020

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Those of you looking for more O out of Sasso forget how defensive Kyle Dake was as a frosh. Same for Yianni D. Everyone has this notion of how a wrestler has to attack but...as Rex said...you can attack his attack. Ask Ben Askren."

Sure it's possible, but those times are definitely the exceptions, right? More offense obviously increases your chances. Dake and Yianni are so notable because it's so difficult to do.

Doesn't mean Sammy can't do it like they did. Hoping he wins it, with or without more offense.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next