Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: OSU vs Nebraska 2/2
Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 28, 2020

Bucks have a dual Friday night at home against Maryland with no real enticing matchups. If I’m TR I’m wrestling a couple of backups to provide some rest. Decatur could benefit from only making weight once, but this is also an opportunity to gain some more confidence heading into some tough matches. I’d like to see Kiner get a match, and potentially sit Romero for some hard earned rest. Nebraska is the real treat this weekend. Outside of PSU and Iowa, Nebraska is the next best dual team. This will certainly take a total team effort to earn the W.

125- Heinsleman vs. Thomsen
-Probably a must win for the Bucks. They need to make hay in the light weights to offset the Cornhuskers upper weight advantage. Malik is due, but until he shows he’s turning the corner we have to assume this is probable a loss. Very winnable match.
133- Decatur vs. Lovett
-Lovett is super tough!! Especially in the top position. Jordan is better in neutral and will have to wrestle a complete match to get the W. I think he does it because the path to victory requires him to operate in the areas where he already has an advantage.
141- Pletch vs Red
-While I believe Luke will win this I think some of this depends on where the dual starts. 1 hour weigh in Chad Red is a different animal then two hour weigh in Chad Red.
149- Sasso vs Purinton
-could be a bonus opportunity for the Bucks. This will represent the lowest ranked guy Sammy has seen in a while. I think opponents are going to really start to back off of shooting on Sammy, which plays into his strengths. They already have.
157- Cleary vs Robb
-Robb has better wins. Dec Nebraska.
165- Smith vs White
-we’ve seen this match already. White is incredibly difficult to score on. Nothing is out of the realm of possibility but I think White wins again by decision.
174- Romero vs Labriola
-Another rematch. Kaleb is positionally sound vs Labriola who is very tough in counters and scrambling. Probably a one take down match. With Kalebs recent successes I’d say this is a toss up despite the prior loss.
184- Jordan vs. Venz
-Venz is very inconsistent. He has some really incredible wins with some head scratching losses. While Rocky is showing some promise I don’t think he’s on the same level as Venz yet. Nebraska decision
197- Moore vs Schulze
-Fresh off his defeat of Jacob Warner, Schulze can be tough to wrestle. The Bucks could use bonus, but I’m thinking this is more than likely a decision.
285- Gtg vs Lance
- Similar results. Probably a toss up or......the legend of gtg returns with some late match heroics.

5-5 match split with Bucks favored slightly through the possibility of bonus. Not withstanding something crazy I have the Bucks in a one or two point victory.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 28, 2020

That's a lot of tight matchups which all lean slightly towards Nebraska. Win or lose, the Bucks have demonstrated a sense of focus and purpose over the last several weeks that leads me to think they'll wrestle well. While all eyes will be on PSU v Iowa, this is an equally compelling dual.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on January 28, 2020

My 2 cents based on what I've seen out of Nebraska:

125: NEB dec. 3-0 I just can't pick Heinselman right now based on what i've seen.
133: OSU dec. 3-3. 2 true freshman, I think Decatur can score a couple takedowns to avoid the bottom position
141: Pletcher MD. 7-3 I think Luke matches up well against Red to be able to score bonus.
149: OSU dec. 10-3. I hope there is bonus, but I've been told Purinton is similiar to Cleary, can keep it close with solid D, minimal O.
157: Nebraska dec. 10-6. See above, I think Robb is a bit underrated.
165 NEB dec. 10-9. Don't like how SMith matches up against White, I hope i'm wrong!
174 NEB dec. 10-12. Just because Nebraska is at home
184 Ned dec. 10-15 Yes Venz has been inconsistent, but Rocky hasn't shown me enough yet to pick him here
197 OSU dec 13-15. Nebraska guy is ranked 6th here. I certaily think Moore can get bonus, but Schultz is at home and just recently beat Warner, must respect him here.
285. Comes down to 285 again in the Nebraska dual. Last week Lance was overpowered by Nevills. This week GTG gets the lone takedown and 3rd period rideout for the OSU upset decision and dual victory.
Final OSU 16 Nebrska 15

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 2, 2020

Decatur needs a crash course in match management. Threw legs in twice and was reversed both times. Totally unnecessary both times.

Nebraska getting every break possible through 33.

Romero is better than Labriola but he needs scrambling work.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on February 2, 2020

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"

Romero is better than Labriola but he needs scrambling work."

Need to see Kaleb create a legit attack on Labs before I say he’s better, but yeah, he gave that one away at the end.

I thought Romero created all the action. He also was in on multiple attacks.

Kinner tossed right to his back at the start for 6. Ouch. I still have some high hopes from him. He’s aggressive. Needs to tighten things up.

Looks like Huskers are going to take this dual unless Smith can solve White.

Nebraska leads the nation, maybe the world, in challenge bricks thrown.

What is smith doing diving from way outside? Played right into White’s hands.

Great effort by OSU but in match tactics and positional wrestling hurt.

Bummer result.

Some lessons to be learned today. Gotta keep wrestling to the whistle. Thought Romero and Smith both relaxed at the end and it cost them and the Bucks. Tough loss.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 2, 2020

I can't believe Smith took that horrible shot at the end. He just needed to push White around and get a stall point.

I wish every Buckeye wrestler was as smart as Pletcher.

Tough way to lose.

I know Smith was wrestling hard but that was so unnecessary. Just get to OT and wear out the guy with the bum ankle.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 2, 2020

I'm ready for Koontz at 125.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 2, 2020

On a positive note, nice win for Rocky!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 2, 2020

OW! OW! OW!

This one stings. Heinselman gives away a great first period effort because he can't ride for 7 seconds....Decatur gets into a scramble and gives up a last sec reveral...and then Smith takes an ill advised shot....Oh well.

Crazy dual. Sucks to lose but it happens.

Bright side--Rocky continues to progress and the Big Three all did their jobs. Sasso's late cradle looked like it might have huge implications. Pletcher is not only a great wrestler but incredibly smart every second he's wrestling.

Incidentally, I admire Ethan Smith and know he was fighting like heck. Hard to always do the right thing in the fog of battle.

I wonder if the staff was screaming for him to shoot hoping for a stall call?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 2, 2020

I think it's now clear, Koontz goes 125, Rocky solidified 184. Two things Kinner needs to do: avoid the big throws and do not get high when riding. I remember him doing that at 133 too. I mean that is the cardinal sin when putting in the boots. It will be interesting how 157 plays out for tournament time.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next