Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: OSU vs Nebraska 2/2
Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 2, 2020

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"OW! OW! OW!

This one stings. Heinselman gives away a great first period effort because he can't ride for 7 seconds....Decatur gets into a scramble and gives up a last sec reveral...and then Smith takes an ill advised shot....Oh well.

Crazy dual. Sucks to lose but it happens.

Bright side--Rocky continues to progress and the Big Three all did their jobs. Sasso's late cradle looked like it might have huge implications. Pletcher is not only a great wrestler but incredibly smart every second he's wrestling.

Incidentally, I admire Ethan Smith and know he was fighting like heck. Hard to always do the right thing in the fog of battle.

I wonder if the staff was screaming for him to shoot hoping for a stall call?"

Is backing up all the time not criteria for a stall call anymore?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 2, 2020

Boo lost, so Sasso likely #1 next week!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 2, 2020

Jack: Like it or not, the refs were cutting White some slack due to his injury. I think that the strategy should have been to keep backing him up so as to force a shot (think Pletcher v Red).

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on February 2, 2020

I probably need to take a step back and breathe but... I won't.
Heinselman was a big swing and a miss. I never liked recruiting 113's out of high school.
I hope he comes back big and strong next year and makes me eat crow but I was hoping for that exact same thing this year.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 2, 2020

The Bucks roll out of this weekend with something no one else in the country can claim....three guys ranked #1. By itself that's got to be worth 60-70 points at NCAAs. The horses are there, but what about the cavalry???
I'd be surprised if tOSU pulled more than seven or eight guys through to NCAAs at this point. 125 and 157 almost have to be written off at this point. Both weights are not going to have high automatic qualifier numbers, and I think its unrealistic to believe that either weight is able to win two matches or more at Big Tens. The sad fact is that Malik owns multiple victories over guys that are ranked and are continuing to beat ranked guys.
There were some real lapses in the mental aspects of this dual that cost the Bucks. Rocky's win was a great surprise, although Venz is definitely on a nose dive right now with loses to Caffey (Mich St) and Assad (Iowa) in the last couple of matches. Strides are certainly being made at 184, and in a conference where almost all of the top 10 are in the Big Ten....It's not out of the realm of possibility to think Rocky could wrestle his way deep into the tournament come March.
Nebraska is a better dual team then the Bucks. I thought so at the beginning of the year, prior to this dual, and I'm not sure that my mind was changed during the course of the dual. In all honesty it was closer than I thought. Nebraska won nearly every close match, and distanced themselves in matches I thought we had a fighting chance in. Kaleb can beat Labriola. He has to finish quickly on a slippery guy like Mikey Labs. Kaleb is solid in all three facets of wrestling this season and is certainly in position to podium as long as he's healthy.
I thought Gary got a little sloppy in a couple of positions and is/was in a position to win that match. He went for broke at the end, but wasn't as crisp as he needed to be. Both Malik and Jordan gave matches away. There's no reason to beat a dead horse for both. Jordan is at least battling with top level guys, but he should have been 2-0 on the weekend. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. He's going to have an uphill battle with seeding at Big Tens. He's probably going to be wrestling a 3rd or 4th seed right out of the gate (Desanto or Rivera).
Luke did Luke things. Sammy pulled out a major in a pretty wild fashion. He kinda let Purintan hang around in the match, but capitalized when it mattered. Kiner needs to run around the mat for there first minute and a half of every match. He has to stretch matches out and slow guys down to be able to get on top and wrestle in positions where he has an advantage. He can't go out there and bang in the first 30 seconds and think that's going to work to his advantage.
Ethan Smith did not wrestle a good match. White being injured was the only reason he was in a position to win, and I whole heartedly agree that the last minute of that match was not wrestled smart. It's easy to Monday morning quarterback that situation, but Ethan is too smart and talented to not recognize that White could not push off his leg. Unfortunate..but I'll continue to expect the unexpected with such a young team. Northwestern and PSU left on the schedule. All about seeding from here on out.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 2, 2020

The Bucks roll out of this weekend with something no one else in the country can claim....three guys ranked #1. By itself that's got to be worth 60-70 points at NCAAs. The horses are there, but what about the cavalry???
I'd be surprised if tOSU pulled more than seven or eight guys through to NCAAs at this point. 125 and 157 almost have to be written off at this point. Both weights are not going to have high automatic qualifier numbers, and I think its unrealistic to believe that either weight is able to win two matches or more at Big Tens. The sad fact is that Malik owns multiple victories over guys that are ranked and are continuing to beat ranked guys.
There were some real lapses in the mental aspects of this dual that cost the Bucks. Rocky's win was a great surprise, although Venz is definitely on a nose dive right now with loses to Caffey (Mich St) and Assad (Iowa) in the last couple of matches. Strides are certainly being made at 184, and in a conference where almost all of the top 10 are in the Big Ten....It's not out of the realm of possibility to think Rocky could wrestle his way deep into the tournament come March.
Nebraska is a better dual team then the Bucks. I thought so at the beginning of the year, prior to this dual, and I'm not sure that my mind was changed during the course of the dual. In all honesty it was closer than I thought. Nebraska won nearly every close match, and distanced themselves in matches I thought we had a fighting chance in. Kaleb can beat Labriola. He has to finish quickly on a slippery guy like Mikey Labs. Kaleb is solid in all three facets of wrestling this season and is certainly in position to podium as long as he's healthy.
I thought Gary got a little sloppy in a couple of positions and is/was in a position to win that match. He went for broke at the end, but wasn't as crisp as he needed to be. Both Malik and Jordan gave matches away. There's no reason to beat a dead horse for both. Jordan is at least battling with top level guys, but he should have been 2-0 on the weekend. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. He's going to have an uphill battle with seeding at Big Tens. He's probably going to be wrestling a 3rd or 4th seed right out of the gate (Desanto or Rivera).
Luke did Luke things. Sammy pulled out a major in a pretty wild fashion. He kinda let Purintan hang around in the match, but capitalized when it mattered. Kiner needs to run around the mat for there first minute and a half of every match. He has to stretch matches out and slow guys down to be able to get on top and wrestle in positions where he has an advantage. He can't go out there and bang in the first 30 seconds and think that's going to work to his advantage.
Ethan Smith did not wrestle a good match. White being injured was the only reason he was in a position to win, and I whole heartedly agree that the last minute of that match was not wrestled smart. It's easy to Monday morning quarterback that situation, but Ethan is too smart and talented to not recognize that White could not push off his leg. Unfortunate..but I'll continue to expect the unexpected with such a young team. Northwestern and PSU left on the schedule. All about seeding from here on out.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 3, 2020

Very impressed with Rocky's ride. Labriola reminds me of Minn. Skatzka, more of a defensive counter wrestler. Kaleb is going to get that TD on him one of these days. Malik go hit the weight room from now til next November. My thoughts on GTG: on a giant opponent you have to pick the right attacks, don't get caught underneath the guy. He and Tervel have to customize his match strategy depending on the opponent. You can't try all your TD's on every guy. Be a little smarter out there. Wish Kinner hadn't spotted that guy 6 points off the bat, it was an uphill battle the rest of the way.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 3, 2020

This team is a work in progress; again the support guys who can win and AA at the end of the season (Decatur, Smith, Romero, Rocky) are continuing to show signs of upticks with occasional technical, and strategic bumbles. It is a manageable amount to correct and wrestle at the level of excellence required to AA.

As always the Big Ten is going to have quite a few surprises and upsets. Despite the bumbles, all look to be improving and wrestling to win. Decatur has to limit some of the positions he engages. I believe if he was to eliminate some positions and wrestle a smarter match in which outcome was dependent upon takedowns, he achieves excellence this year. Think Lee Kemp style.

Regarding Smith, whenever your knee gets close to your head, you are in the danger zone and must be acutely aware of the situation. Fatigue was the reason for the lapse of position. The momentary lapse of position is what makes or breaks wrestlers at this time of the year and it usually coincides with the third period. Better to happen now than be reminded of this fact at Big Tens or NCAAs. Unless you are Sammy Sasso and then another set of rules apply. ;)

Ben Watson added to this discussion on February 3, 2020

Dylan and Brady Koontz had a nice showing at the Edinboro Open. Brady FF to Dylan in the finals. Along the way, Dylan beat former NCAA qualifer, Jake Gromacki from Clarion. Gromacki qualified in 2017 before injuries derailed his last two seasons. He actually won a match at NCAAs over a very solid Brent Fleetwood. Gromacki has also beat Zeke Moisey,Shakur Laney, and Noah Gonser during his career. Good win for Koontz.

Couple that with his wins over Josh Kramer and Jarret Trombly (both at 133), and Dylan looks like he could be an NCAA qualifier this year at 125.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 3, 2020

Quote from Ben Watson's post:

"Dylan and Brady Koontz had a nice showing at the Edinboro Open. Brady FF to Dylan in the finals. Along the way, Dylan beat former NCAA qualifer, Jake Gromacki from Clarion. Gromacki qualified in 2017 before injuries derailed his last two seasons. He actually won a match at NCAAs over a very solid Brent Fleetwood. Gromacki has also beat Zeke Moisey,Shakur Laney, and Noah Gonser during his career. Good win for Koontz.

Couple that with his wins over Josh Kramer and Jarret Trombly (both at 133), and Dylan looks like he could be an NCAA qualifier this year at 125."

Impressive wins for Gromacki. So, an impressive win for Dylan Koontz.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2