Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Weight cutting and wrestling at Ohio state
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on January 30, 2020

I like what Ohio state is doing having these kids wrestling up weight classes this year. No one including me knew pletcher had any offense. 141 he has been an offensive machine. Rocky Jordan looks night and day better up a weight class. Kaleb Romero went from border line NCAA qualifier to all American level wrestling up a weight class. The jury is still out on Hoffman but it can’t be any worse going up. Also kinner is going to 157. Hubbard looks to be legit there also. We are less than two months from
Nationals and we still need to decide 157. Kinner/Hubbard/Hayes/cleary. 285 traub Hoffman. 125 Koontz/Heinselman

Ps pulling decaturs redshirt was Tom Ryan’s worst decision as Ohio states head coach. He is just not ready to compete with the top ten. Maybe one or two points do nothing for us ecspecially when we are fighting for third.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 30, 2020

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"I like what Ohio state is doing having these kids wrestling up weight classes this year. No one including me knew pletcher had any offense. 141 he has been an offensive machine. Rocky Jordan looks night and day better up a weight class. Kaleb Romero went from border line NCAA qualifier to all American level wrestling up a weight class. The jury is still out on Hoffman but it can’t be any worse going up. Also kinner is going to 157. Hubbard looks to be legit there also. We are less than two months from
Nationals and we still need to decide 157. Kinner/Hubbard/Hayes/cleary. 285 traub Hoffman. 125 Koontz/Heinselman

Ps pulling decaturs redshirt was Tom Ryan’s worst decision as Ohio states head coach. He is just not ready to compete with the top ten. Maybe one or two points do nothing for us ecspecially when we are fighting for third."

I'm not sure Pletcher had a choice because I don't think he was beating out Joey M. the last 2 years so his only options were to RS or cut down to 133. Same about Romero could he beat out Smith or Campbell last year or was his only option 165. Would Kinner still be going 157 if Hayes was healthy?

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on January 30, 2020

I don't know that I agree with any of this. None of the movement was by choice. The only thing the staff been doing is trying to put the best lineup on the mat, top to bottom.

Pletcher proved to himself and the staff at U23 trials that he can compete at this size. He starts the season at 141, but wasn't locked in at the weight until he made it undeniable. I think Tom would admit that if he didn't start out so hot, maybe he loses to Demas, takes 3rd at Vegas... they could have moved him down and plugged Kinner in at 141. As a result, Kinner decides to attempt a ridiculous cut which clearly wasn't sustainable.

Hoffman was the obvious choice to man 184 heading into the season, with 197 clearly not an option. As a result Rock drops to 174 to battle Romero for the "easier" spot. Smith moves to 165 for the team because he thinks he can manage the weight. Romero makes leaps, cements his place in the lineup, Hoffman's performance falls off a cliff, so Rocky moves to 184. It's not Rock(y)et science (sorry).

Decatur--it is what it is. I didn't want his shirt to get pulled but Ryan's philosophy on the matter is well established. If there isn't someone of comparable ability available and he thinks his team can compete for trophies, it's best man up every time. Regardless, there have been entire recruiting classes that were "worse decisions" than "wasting" one year of eligibility of a future AA.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 30, 2020

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"I don't know that I agree with any of this. None of the movement was by choice. The only thing the staff been doing is trying to put the best lineup on the mat, top to bottom.

Pletcher proved to himself and the staff at U23 trials that he can compete at this size. He starts the season at 141, but wasn't locked in at the weight until he made it undeniable. I think Tom would admit that if he didn't start out so hot, maybe he loses to Demas, takes 3rd at Vegas... they could have moved him down and plugged Kinner in at 141. As a result, Kinner decides to attempt a ridiculous cut which clearly wasn't sustainable.

Hoffman was the obvious choice to man 184 heading into the season, with 197 clearly not an option. As a result Rock drops to 174 to battle Romero for the "easier" spot. Smith moves to 165 for the team because he thinks he can manage the weight. Romero makes leaps, cements his place in the lineup, Hoffman's performance falls off a cliff, so Rocky moves to 184. It's not Rock(y)et science (sorry).

Decatur--it is what it is. I didn't want his shirt to get pulled but Ryan's philosophy on the matter is well established. If there isn't someone of comparable ability available and he thinks his team can compete for trophies, it's best man up every time. Regardless, there have been entire recruiting classes that were "worse decisions" than "wasting" one year of eligibility of a future AA."

A plus from the meat dude.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 30, 2020

The team looks better at these weights. My 2 cents.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on February 1, 2020

Decatur may not qualify. He isn’t ready for d1 wrestling yet. I stand by this is Tom Ryan’s worst decision as head coach. Who is better Decatur today or four years from now. If this was a championship year I may agree but still hard to. Decatur has no gas tank. May be cutting too much weight. Nuetral wrestler only.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on February 1, 2020

Kinner looks much better at 157. He has a bright future at 149 or 157 for the Buckeyes.

Maybe the weight cut for Decatur is too much right now. I'm still not sure why he was taken out of redshirt when Koontz already had quality wins this season at 133. We'll see, but hopefully, J.D. will be much better at 141 next season. More fuel in the gas tank.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 1, 2020

We have yet to see an optimized Jordan Decatur in a tournament setting. I agree that he is being negatively impacted by the cut, but we keep hearing about “gas tank” issues. The Maryland loss was not a gas tank issue...the Iowa dismembering was not a gas tank issue... nor was the Gross loss and any other loss. In my opinion J.D. is mentally not adapted....yet. You don’t wrestle three periods against Gross with three sets of take downs because you ran out of energy, nor do you give up a mixer to go down by six because of a weight cut. These are mental lapses in matches. Failing do get off his knees during three consecutive DeSanto takedowns was a pure panic situation. He will qualify for NCAAs, and I think we’ll be pleasantly surprised. I go back to the youth on this team. I feel that these types of performances are necessary for the overall growth of the individual. It sounds like Koontz is dropping to challenge at 125
I cannot argue that Kiner looked good; however, I think it would be disingenuous to Cleary, who has ran the gauntlet, to say that a Kiner tech fall over a below average opponent is reason to go with him the rest of the way. He certainly looks more dynamic, but Cleary has earned the right to make Kiner demonstrate more consistent results. Who do you go with Sunday?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 1, 2020

Part of the problem with the 125 and 157 decisions is time is running out, after Neb. tomorrow they have 2 more duals, Northwestern & PSU. I'm guessing Hayes is no longer an option?? The clock is ticking...TR has some hard choices to make, and soon. If it were me, I send Malik to the weight room to beef up for next year and let Kinner go 157. I think he has given Cleary ample opportunities to get his offense on track, and it just isn't happening, IMO.

David Brown added to this discussion on February 2, 2020

Malik has had 2 years to beef up in the weightroom. Meanwhile Kemmerer jumps 2 weights and still looked bigger than Mark Hall. Harumpf.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on February 2, 2020

Quote from David Brown's post:

"Malik has had 2 years to beef up in the weightroom. Meanwhile Kemmerer jumps 2 weights and still looked bigger than Mark Hall. Harumpf."

I've always thought Hall was a natural 65 but couldn't beat Cenzo for the spot.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 2, 2020

I think you have to take another look at Kinner against Nebraska. With Cleary you kind of know what you have. Robb is a somewhat known commodity. I would favor him to beat Cleary in a close match. Does Kinner give you a better shot to win here? One way to find out.

► Add to the Discussion