Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Pletcher: 2019-2020?
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 5, 2020

My recollection of Luke Pletcher up to this year was consistent one point matches. Over and over and over...

Now he’s a Human/Honey Badger hybrid; he takes what he wants!

What changed?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 5, 2020

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"My recollection of Luke Pletcher up to this year was consistent one point matches. Over and over and over...

What changed?"

HIS WEIGHT

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

"My recollection of Luke Pletcher up to this year was consistent one point matches. Over and over and over...

What changed?"

HIS WEIGHT"

Do you mean he has more energy at the higher weight or the weight class he is in this year is not as strong?

Ben Watson added to this discussion on February 5, 2020

"

What changed?"

HIS WEIGHT"

I agree that the weight class change has benefited Pletcher. But, I don't think that's the only change. He wrestled 141 as a freshman and was far less offensive than his current style with likely less of a weight cut. His bonus percentage rate was 21.62% as a freshman with his rating percentage index (strength of opponent) at its lowest. His bonus rate this year is 63.64% and his strength of schedule is the hardest of his career.

(all stats from https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/44636/pletcher-luke/profile)

I think he's just a better wrestler this year. He is finishing his leg attacks at an extremely high level and is forcing his opponents into inopportune positions. Nobody is riding this dude and he is putting rides on some of the best. His wrestling (and weight) has jumped levels.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 5, 2020

I love his defense, especially the go behind off a leg attack, he is soooo quick. Sometime he doesn't get all the way around, but he'll snatch a leg anyway.

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I love his defense, especially the go behind off a leg attack, he is soooo quick. Sometime he doesn't get all the way around, but he'll snatch a leg anyway."

Agreed; like a swarm of bees.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on February 5, 2020

Askren interviewed Pletcher and asked him the same question, "What's different this year?"

Luke acknowledged that he feels good at the weight, but that the biggest difference is his focus on the hand fight. By dominating the hand fight (and ideally picking up an early score) he can force guys right into his wheelhouse, which is obviously his re-attacks and go-behinds.

It sounds incredibly simple but perhaps that's just what it takes when you're already elite in a number of positions--find a way to take the match there, and repeat.

I would love to hear Rex's take on the matter. I've seen him break things down in that manner before. Getting to positions of advantage and living there... etc.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 5, 2020

"

"

What changed?"

HIS WEIGHT"

Do you mean he has more energy at the higher weight or the weight class he is in this year is not as strong?"

at some point u r cutting into lean muscle mass and have no fuel to burn .

witness Keaton Anderson, at 141 then 149 only pretty good-- but senior year 157 ranked No. 1 until blew knee out at Big Ten's, still he AA'd and almost got to the finals on pure guts. ....as Bear Bryant said there is no substitute for guts.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 5, 2020

Keaton Anderson also picked up a couple new attacks as a senior that he'd previously lacked. Sometimes one good re-attack makes all the difference.

Pletcher has become a killer off his opponent's shots. He forces them to shoot and then destroys them. He's also a great finisher.

Ben Watson added to this discussion on February 5, 2020

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Pletcher has become a killer off his opponent's shots. He forces them to shoot and then destroys them. He's also a great finisher."

This! His go behinds are elite but he’s also great at finding a leg off an opponent’s shot and changing direction to get his opponents off balance. Great point Hank!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 6, 2020

"

"

"

What changed?"

HIS WEIGHT"

Do you mean he has more energy at the higher weight or the weight class he is in this year is not as strong?"

at some point u r cutting into lean muscle mass and have no fuel to burn .

witness Keaton Anderson, at 141 then 149 only pretty good-- but senior year 157 ranked No. 1 until blew knee out at Big Ten's, still he AA'd and almost got to the finals on pure guts. ....as Bear Bryant said there is no substitute for guts."

Keaton was the best 157 until injury at Big Tens. His high crotch was unstoppable. In the last 2 weeks of the regular season he beat Luke Becker, Scott Owen and Ryan Bertin (eventual NCAA Champ). Plus he was the Midlands champ that year I believe. And yes, he was good at 141 & 149, but 157 was his best weight. I think he married Russ Hellickson's daughter after graduation.

► Add to the Discussion