Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Old Topic, Revisited: Once A Wrestler, Always A Wrestler...
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 19, 2020

I had my annual dream where I was told I have just enough eligibility to wrestle in the post-season. I continue to age appropriately with the dream. Up until this one, I was always concerned about what weight class I could make; this year I was concerned about my conditioning...

With the advent of the Interwebs, who is willing to admit to watching a match on their phone while on a treadmill...and stumbling as you contort in tandem with a critical flurry in the match?

I still hit double legs and arm drags in my mind when I walk past others.

Nope, can’t sleep on my back and always predict my weight within 2 lbs. whenever I am asked to step on the scale at the MD’s office.

Hands up when I go up or down stairs.

Certain foods (Cassano’s Pizza-Brookville, OH) remind me of celebrating on Saturday night after a tournament.

A penny for your thoughts...

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 19, 2020

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"I still hit double legs and arm drags in my mind when I walk past others.

Nope, can’t sleep on my back and always predict my weight within 2 lbs. whenever I am asked to step on the scale at the MD’s office.
..."

Two absolute CLASSIC points here.

I imagine hitting some move on random people in public places every time I'm out and about. Seriously thought I was the only one.

As for the doctor's office...I nail it with each visit. The Mrs, from time to time, will get silly with me when I check my weight in the bathroom. She'll say something like, "Need to make weight soon." I just give her the death stare and reply, "Maybe."

Come one, come all.

You know you have wrestler idiosyncrasies, to this very day...

Gary Lusson added to this discussion on February 19, 2020

I'm looking at an old black and white photo turning brown on my wall: Kiev, Ukraine, 1890's, my grandfather as a young wrestler, proudly posing in his handmade leather shoes.

Next to it, New York, 1953: now looking like a wizened ancient elf, he and my father kneel next to me, I'm in a little singlet.

Rolling, rolling-- playing, working, trying, crying--endlessly rolling, I remember thinking: who could ever beat them? They are unbeatable.

All the hours, all the rooms, all the people. I developed a secret little ritual of bending down and touching the mat and saying to myself, "Hello old friend."

Last week at a party: beer, food, a crowd. Someone comes over, a middle-schooler in tow, "This is my son, he's on the wrestling team." Me: "Ah, work hard, I'm a wrestler too." He gives me a skeptical look, obviously thinking, "But you're old."

It shaped my life, for a long while it was my life, for better and for worse I lived by its warrior code. It's always where you're coming from, your vantage point on the world, your self-image, the being--body and soul--who goes through life. Once in you unremovable.

Last edited by Gary Lusson on February 19, 2020; edited 2 times in total

John Drumm added to this discussion on February 19, 2020

Those doctor's office weigh-ins are important because they determine your BMI. Insist on a 5-10 pound clothing deduction or weigh in wearing suitable undergarment.
I still give myself 2 pounds after Christmas.

Edit: Its been said before, upon entering a room full of people, I too scan the room looking for cauliflower ear friends.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 19, 2020

[quote="Justin Hayes"]I had my annual dream where I was told I have just enough eligibility to wrestle in the post-season. I continue to age appropriately with the dream. Up until this one, I was always concerned about what weight class I could make; this year I was concerned about my conditioning...

With the advent of the Interwebs, who is willing to admit to watching a match on their phone while on a treadmill...and stumbling as you contort in tandem with a critical flurry in the match?

With the way you ask I’m almost concerned about admitting it but every day I’m on the treadmill I’m watching a match. It’s about the only time I have to do it.

And I NEVER step on a scale anymore unless at the doctors and then I tell the nurse not to say what it reads. I figure the doc will tell me when I hit clinical obesity.

Weight cutting was king when I wrestled and it has had a lasting impact. Foolish.

Quote from John Drumm's post:

"Those doctor's office weigh-ins are important because they determine your BMI. Insist on a 5-10 pound clothing deduction or weigh in wearing suitable undergarment.
I still give myself 2 pounds after Christmas.

Edit: Its been said before, upon entering a room full of people, I too scan the room looking for cauliflower ear friends."

WAIT! Hold on. Are you telling me you DO NOT strip down????? Is this true for everyone else??? This might explain the looks. And the gasps. And the calls to the cops. Hmmm...

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 19, 2020

Quote from Gary Lusson's post:

"I'm looking at an old black and white photo turning brown on my wall: Kiev, Ukraine, 1890's, my grandfather as a young wrestler, proudly posing, handmade leather shoes.

Next to it, New York, 1953: now looking like a wizened ancient elf, he and my father kneel next to me, I'm in a little singlet.

Rolling, rolling-- playing, working, trying, crying--endlessly rolling, I remember thinking: who could ever beat them? They are unbeatable.

All the hours, all the rooms, all the people. I developed a secret little ritual of bending down and touching the mat and saying to myself, "Hello old friend."

Last week at a party: beer, food, a crowd. Someone comes over, a middle-schooler in tow, "This is my son, he's on the wrestling team." Me: "Ah, work hard, I'm a wrestler too." He gives me a skeptical look, obviously thinking, "But you're old."

It shaped my life, for a long while it was my life, for better and for worse I lived by its warrior code. It's always where you're coming from, your vantage point on the world, your self-image, the being--body and soul-- who goes through life. Once in you unremovable."

Fantastic. Final paragraph is #100truth

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on February 19, 2020

In the years to come I wonder how many guys, when getting weighed the doctor's office, will step off the scale and do a spin around for a skin check?

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"In the years to come I wonder how many guys, when getting weighed the doctor's office, will step off the scale and do a spin around for a skin check?"

I do that before stepping on the scale. Duh.

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

"In the years to come I wonder how many guys, when getting weighed the doctor's office, will step off the scale and do a spin around for a skin check?"

I do that before stepping on the scale. Duh."

Niemann stands on his head for two minutes prior to getting on the scale as well.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 19, 2020

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

I do that before stepping on the scale. Duh."

Niemann stands on his head for two minutes prior to getting on the scale as well."

If there is an old dr. scale available, I always use that one. Refuse the digital scale. ...and I try to find the lightest corner.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 19, 2020

I'll watch a video over and over until I understand the reasons why a technique worked. I'll sometimes do it with a scene in a movie if they hit upon a universal truth central to wrestling and life.

I still think about coaching wrestling and teaching a style that relies heavily on unorthodox wrestling and pinning. I think it would be highly entertaining and help grow the sport. Johnny McGhee from Coventry was onto something in high school. It could be further developed and improved upon with the right structure.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on February 19, 2020

Quote from Gary Lusson's post:

"I'm looking at an old black and white photo turning brown on my wall: Kiev, Ukraine, 1890's, my grandfather as a young wrestler, proudly posing in his handmade leather shoes.

It shaped my life, for a long while it was my life, for better and for worse I lived by its warrior code. It's always where you're coming from, your vantage point on the world, your self-image, the being--body and soul--who goes through life. Once in you unremovable."

Powerful stuff.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 19, 2020

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"I still think about coaching wrestling and teaching a style that relies heavily on unorthodox wrestling and pinning. Johnny McGhee from Coventry was onto something in high school. It could be further developed and improved upon with the right structure."

Johnny McGhee, "Hips from Hell", havent heard that name in a while. i always thought my Dream Match in high school--if they were same wt -- would be McGhee vs Harry Lester.

It'd be wrestlings version of boxers Tommy Hearns vs Marvin Hagler and Sugar Ray Leonard, take your pick. "Hitman" Hearns knew one speed, one way to wrestle.

Survive the first 3 round barrage and he could be beat, as Hagler & Sugar did. But it was 3 rounds of hell with one intention, the Knockout.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next