Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Down Time
Matt Schein added to this discussion on March 20, 2020

With everything closing, and wrestling essentially done for the year. I’ll start a new thread. What is your favorite tOSU match you ever saw?

Jaggers winning his first national title or Logan winning his first

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Matt Schein added to this discussion on March 20, 2020

Just to add something. Everyone be safe, take proper precautions, and help your fellow man when needed. Disgusts me to see people fighting old ladies for toilet paper.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on March 20, 2020

Good topic. I am going to go my all time favorite Buckeye matches that weren't at the national tournament:

-Freshman Tommy pinning Leonce Crump from Oklahoma to to win the dual for the Buckeyes. Had he not pinned him Bucks lose the dual.

-T.J. Enright beating number 1 ranked Nick Simmons in overtime in the Michigan State dual. The loudest I ever heard St. Johns.

-Jaggers pins the Penn St. kid (Strayer?)to win the dual for the Bucks.

-Freshman Hunter upsets returning NCAA champ Kellen Russell at Vegas. The fact that Russell was a Wolverine made it sweeter.

-Palmer over Metcalf at Big 10's. Metcalf smashed everyone that year but Palmer. Lance road him hard and put him on his back.

-Stieber beating Ramos in the dual at St. Johns. Logan tilted him for some backs and handled him. Ramos was jawing at him after the match and preceded to do wind sprints up an incline for the remainder of the dual.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 20, 2020

Scott you took all the good ones!!
-Reece suplexing the Indiana kid into another dimension.
-Tomasello over the Missouri kid his freshman year in the semis
-Myles over Bo each and every time.
-Kyle Over Gwiz for the title.
-Kenny Courts jr year win to AA in the quarters

Mike Stann added to this discussion on March 20, 2020

Mike Pucillo over Jake Varner by riding time in double ot his sophomore year

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on March 20, 2020

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"Scott you took all the good ones!!
-Reece suplexing the Indiana kid into another dimension.
-Tomasello over the Missouri kid his freshman year in the semis
-Myles over Bo each and every time.
-Kyle Over Gwiz for the title.
-Kenny Courts jr year win to AA in the quarters"

These and all the other posts are great ones. I was fortunate enough to have matside seats for the 2016 finals when Myles beat Bo and Kyle beat Gwiz. The reactions by the PSU fans that were matside during Myles' match was priceless. I made sure to scream loudly.

In addition to Tomasello's semis win his freshman year, I'll add Kyle's win over J'Den in the semis of that same year. That ankle pick won the match. Both of those semis were HUGE for the team race, as Mizzou was close at that point and both of those matches were technically upsets per seeding.

Don Bork added to this discussion on March 20, 2020

Keaton Anderson beating defending NC Luke Becker in St. John’s was a treat. Colt Sponseller winning the dual against Wisconsin his freshman year for the Buckeyes was also a good one.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 21, 2020

Nutter pinning Seth Brady in match to AA. '97

Eric Smith winning quarterfinals against Seton Hall Joe Burke in lasts seconds of the match. Actually, I only liked the last 5 seconds of that match and the step around. '95

Randleman v Chelesvig Big Ten Finals '92

Mendoza v Oostendorp Big Ten 1st Round '93

Mitch Clark v Jones NCAA Finals '98

Bill Splete added to this discussion on March 21, 2020

Myles over Bo, there was something very special about that performance just not a fan of Bo at PSU, he is a great talent but his edge is more down to earth as he jumps to the senior level

Mitch Clark very dominant NCAA finals performance,

Jaggers is a gamer, but not my favorite buckeye either in the room or out, I personally know who assisted him during that final run, and he said nothing but bad stuff about a good person, not a class move.

Stieber, a favorite of mine to watch, but his skill technique is hard to translate to other wrestlers, he just does things very different from a neutral position, on top, an absolute beast, but he has a gorilla grip, on the bottom, yikes but has the heart and attitude of a lion.

We lost a lot when Lou left, say what you want about the assistants now but that guy is an excellent technician and leader, guys improved under him. I have seen, camps by jaggers, Snyder, tervel, Stieber, and Lou, and there is no comparison to any of them related to Lou, he is akin to Jim Humphrey in skill and motivation.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on March 21, 2020

I was matside for Rowlands pinning Crump. It was absolutely unreal.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 21, 2020

Two of my favorites were Mitch Clark v Jones NCAA Finals '98 and Anderson over Becker. You just don't see a first period tech in NCAA finals, and he did it in Cleveland on top of it. Like the announcer said, Vertus Jones went to school at W.V. AND Cleveland State at center mat that night. I loved Keaton's win because Becker had thrashed a OSU kid the year before at Big Tens, just roughed him up good. Then Keaton gave him some of his own medicine when he gets in on a beautiful high crotch, lifts Becker into the air and comes down real hard with his mat return to the roar of the OSU crowd!! What goes around comes around.

Joe Johnson added to this discussion on March 21, 2020

One of my favs was Mikey Pucillo’s last second takedown of Keddy in the 08 qtrs.

Matt Schein added to this discussion on March 21, 2020

Hunter Stieber, with no elbows over Beitz in 2015 big 10s to help Ohio state win a big 10 title

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 22, 2020

One of my favorite Bucks matches was watching Logan eke out the win over Jordan Oliver. He wrestled such an excellent match until the end. And then, well, he won.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 24, 2020

For what it's worth, I was watching Logan's Dapper Dan win over Mitchell Port as HS seniors, and Logan took him down a few times, turned him a few times, had a big lead with about 30 seconds. left, and Port gets a single that Logan fought off for about 20 seconds, but finally gives it up. I thought back to their NCAA finals where Logan had a big lead but the match ended with an ankle pick and short ride by Port. Just thought it was funny that he ended his last college match like he ended his last HS match, against the same guy and in a similar kind of match.

► Add to the Discussion