Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: 2020-2021 buckeyes outlook and predictions
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 4, 2020

Here is my optimal lineup for the Buckeyes next year
125-Heinselman see him as a qualifier. 2-2 ncaas
133-Decatur similar. 2-2 ncaas
141-echemendia top 3 is the hype I’m hearing. He says 141
149-Hayes. If healthy and at the right weight is top 5. I hope he comes back and gets to finally wrestle the weight he belongs at. He had close wrestle offs with McKenna and Jordan. He almost AA once. I want to see him one last year
157-sasso top 3
165-kharchla top 3.
174-romero. Progressed a lot and the weight clears out. Another top 3
184-Jordan - see him as a round 12 guy close to Aa but falls short
197-singletary- if he is healthy at this weight he could win the whole thing. He went 3-0 this season beating all NCAA qualifiers. He would have been Aa this year at heavy. Beaten stencil and Parris also. I wouldn’t count him out against anyone at this weight if the cut isn’t too bad
285-Orndorff. Top 6. Beat wood and Thomas this year. And singletary in the past. Top guys are all back. Maybe top 8 as Schultz and kerkvliet are coming in. I would say 5-8 range

This is gonna be a really good team regardless but improves dramatically I feel if Hayes does come back which I’m not sure he is, just hoping. This lineup could score a lot of points. Still need some light weight recruiting. Anyone know if we are still in hard on figuero? Ethan Smith and Hoffman I think will both be out. I think we can get 7 AAs

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason Russell added to this discussion on April 4, 2020

As a Buckeye fan I love the optimism, but this is a HUGE stretch. Echemendia is a ? which is fun, but there is no evidence that he is going to be an All American candidate as a freshman. I believe Hayes will need a sixth year waiver. Who was Carsons best win this year?

That being said, I hope the Bucks win it all.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on April 4, 2020

There are so many unknowns about this team moving into next season. I’d say If Malik jumps levels (which he certainly is due) he could score some points at NCAAs in a weak 125 field. I don’t care who the Bucks put at 133 we will not AA there. 141 is interesting because I could see a scenario where Decatur RSs and Kiner/D’Emilio battle it out for the weight. Some combo of Enchemendia/Sasso for 149/157, was preciously stated. Between 133,141, and 149 we will see some Olympic redshirts back in the fold (Fix, Yanni). There’s rumors swirling that Suriano might be done with collegiate wrestling. All signs also point to Yanni moving up to 149.
Karchla’s best win is against Smith in the wrestle off but he did have a least one ranked win in an open against a top 20 opponent. 165 empties out a little with White, Joseph, and a couple of others give, but returning champ Mekhi Lewis returns. 174 definitely opens up. Romero could be ranked in the top three to start the season. Not much leaves at 184, but hopefully Rocky can make a jump. 197 is even worse than this past two years which is good for the Bucks, and heavy gets more difficult with Kirkleviet. Right now on paper I’d say 149, 174, and 197 (even with an unknown) are the best chances at AA. Unless Enchemendia sets the world on fire, and Karchla is the second coming I think the Bucks would need to put at least three in the finals to challenge for the top three. Realistically the Bucks are not better than Iowa, PSU, Cornell, and probably Nebraska right now. We are a complete unknown. This post season would’ve given us a much better barometer of what to expect.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 5, 2020

The olympics are next year. Will these wrestlers get another redshirt year??

Jared Ball added to this discussion on April 5, 2020

I guess there’s probably no rule against Olympic redshirting again, but I wonder how institutions, programs, and coaches feel about it. Everyone has there own interest to look out for in this circumstance, but like all things I think this comes down to money. No way the Ivys allow it.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on April 7, 2020

125-I would love to see Malik develop or possibly an upperclassman transfers in to hold down 125 and Malik gets a year to develop.

133-Hopefully this will be an improved Jordan Decatur. There was talk that he had trouble making it but he didn't seem particularly big for the weight. D'Emilio seems like more of a 141 and there is no way Kinner makes it back down.

141-I think this ends of being Kinner as long as Echemendia is at a higher weight which I believe he will be. D'Emilio provides depth.

149-I think Sasso moves up and this is Enchemendia. If Sasso is up and Enchemendia is at 141 this could be Kinner (this may actually be Kinner's best weight). I'm as big Keyshawn Hayes guys but I think that ship has sailed.

157-I think this ends up being Sasso. He looked huge last offseason and had good results against guys like Carr in freestyle. He looked good this year but a little sucked down. I think his energy and gas tank (particularly in duals with the hour weigh in) was effected by the cut. I think at 157 we see a more energetic, more offensive Sammy ala Luke this year.

165-All signs point to Karchla being a high AA. As good as Smith has been, I think Carson K is a solid favorite to win this spot.

174-Again we seem to have 3 guys for two spots with Smith, Romero, and Rojo. I think Romero is the best of the 3. While I think he is big enough to go up to 184 I think he is a national title contender next year at 174 and will stay here.

184-I think this is a battle between Rocky and Smith. Before we get to worried about size let's remember that Smith competed at 184 his redshirt year prior to going 174 as a redshirt freshman and 165 last year. Rocky had a few nice wins at the end of last year but also looked uninspired a lot of the time. Maybe he makes a jump but I look for a back and forth battle with Smith ultimately winning the spot.

197-I hope it comes together for Singletary with his health and weight because I believe he is a high AA/Finalist type of guy at 197. Hoffman if he stays could be a reasonable option if Singletary doesn't work out.

285-I'm pumped about the Orndorff transfer but a little bummed because I was looking forward to seeing how much Traub develops over the next year (particularly if he could add a little more size). It's possible Gary wins the spot anyway but Orndorff has to be considered the favorite at this point. Has Orndorff used his redshirt yet? He is an excellent Greco guy, any chance he gets an Olympic RS for Greco?

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on April 11, 2020

Recent interview with Ryan he says Echemendia will be 141 Sasso 149 and Kinner, CLeary and an incoming recruit that he can't talk about presently would battle at 157. Karchla listed at 174 on the roster. 174 is wide open and I feel like Romero is a national title contender next year at that weight. Do Karchla and Romero battle it out with the loser challenging Rocky at 184?

Jared Ball added to this discussion on April 12, 2020

The questions for coach interview sounds like it will be a reoccurring thing during the pandemic. Great way to stay engaged with the fan base. Enchemendia wants to compete internationally at 65kg according to TR which keeps him at or near 141. He will be the biggest 141 in the country. Not sure what that means for D’Emilio. He like Decatur seems awfully big for 133. When Ryan talks about 157 the only name I can think of would be Jesse Vasquez out of Cali. The 4x state champ still has not committed anywhere, which is kind of a rarity considering how highly ranked he is. Heopner verbaled, but I don’t know if he signed yet. Seniors have been able to sign since the fall, so I’m assuming this is already a done deal.
Karchla seems like a natural fit for 165. He wrestled most of his 16 matches at that weight and only went up towards the end of the season. He is not a tall person. I would think 65 would be the natural landing place.
Recruiting wise this has been a quiet haul for the Bucks. Picking up Orndorf and finally signing Enchemendia are big time additions. Hoeppner is not a top 100 recruit.
It’s pretty rare when a multiple time state champ from Ohio doesn’t rank high nationally. Especially one from St. Ed’s. The last two classes were ranked very high for the Bucks, so it’s understandable that there was a drop off. Verbals from Gallagher- class of 21, and Shumate- Class of 22 are real great starts. I still think the Bucks are holding out a small minute hope of pulling Richie Figs from ASU. They need to land a major recruit for 125. It’s also about time to start landing guys for the loss of Smith and Romero. Pure speculation here, but I think the Bucks are looking at the Fishback kid out of Aurora (160). Great time to analyze film on guys for future classes!

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 12, 2020

Dano where you at? Any info on the 157 or the if we have a shot at Figueroa?

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 12, 2020

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"Recent interview with Ryan he says Echemendia will be 141 Sasso 149 and Kinner, CLeary and an incoming recruit that he can't talk about presently would battle at 157. Karchla listed at 174 on the roster. 174 is wide open and I feel like Romero is a national title contender next year at that weight. Do Karchla and Romero battle it out with the loser challenging Rocky at 184?"

You know where this interview is? Would like to listen

Don Bork added to this discussion on April 12, 2020

Ohiostatebuckeyes.com. It is TOSU athletics web site.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on April 12, 2020

A couple other guys on the roster not really talked about are Kevon Freeman and Jashon Hubbard. Freeman was a 3xer and a top 100 recruit but hasn't competed in 2 years due to injury. Hubbard was a stud in highschool and had a year at Notre Dame before coming to the Bucks this Spring. He only competed at one one tournament but won it at 165. In the finals he handled the youngest Amine brother, who is highly touted. Is either of these guys a possible option to challenge at 157?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on April 24, 2020

I see Vasquez committed to Arizona State, not a big surprise. If I'm from Cal. and don't want to go halfway across the country to go to college, I'm picking ASU. Good program and up & coming with the wrestling program.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on April 26, 2020

ASU graduates a ton this year. I’m curious if Vasquez holding out his recruitment was solely based on money. I wonder if ASU offered what many other programs could not, a full boat. The additions of Molinaro and Mark Perry to the coaching staff certainly had to have a positive effect on any incoming prospects.

In other recruiting news, the Bucks were on two high profile recruits lists as potential landing spots. PA 220 Nate Schon had the Bucks on his short list as a potential choice. tOSU was certainly in the mix with NC State, Pitt, Penn, and Rutgers as potential options. The Bucks seem to make the most sense line up wise. The PA native is a three time AAA state placer, with a title as a sophomore and a runner up finish as a junior. Flo posted a video of his state semis match. Athletically he reminds me of Seth Shumate. Explosive, bull in a China shop mentality. His aggressiveness occasionally got him in trouble in his semis match but his big move potential got him right back in it to make the finals. His not a massive 220 height wise, but he is not lacking in size in the muscle department. The Flo article says that he definitely sees himself as a heavy weight in college.

Cael Valencia also had the Bucks listed, along with every other major program, on an extensive list. The younger brother of the two older ASU products will certainly be one of the highest profile recruits in the country in the coming season. Valencia dealt Paddy Gallagher his only loss of the season in the Doc Buchanan finals out in Cali this past season. Valencia is much taller than Paddy and will certainly be a prospect in a much larger weight (174 I’d assume). He did lose in the California finals this past year but is still very highly sought after. I wonder how high ASU is on his list. Would their be any residual fallout from the untimely ASU suspension that might negatively effect his choice to ASU. The article really went out of the way to state that him to ASU is no guarantee, but the same was said of Daton Fix’s recruitment to Okie State.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 27, 2020

I've seen a couple of rumors on PSU boards that Teemer is transferring out of ASU and moving back east.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next