Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Coaches: Who Would You Have Liked To Wrestle For?
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on August 16, 2020

Without regard to your ability, if you could have wrestled for any wrestling coach (in high school or college) who would it be and why?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on August 16, 2020

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"Without regard to your ability, if you could have wrestled for any wrestling coach (in high school or college) who would it be and why?"

I am speaking for my son (since I never wrestled a minute).
His coaches probably did the best they could but I have long felt that I wish he could have wrestled for Coach Andrews at Marysville. He seems to turn out amazing wrestlers year after year. Generally a number of State qualifiers every year and a few State Champs thrown in there. The problem is that my son is older than he is.
Coach Baxter at Fairmont is right up there as well.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 17, 2020

I'll take out the coaches that I did have from consideration as I wouldn't trade my experiences with any of them (good, bad, whatever) for anything because they all have shaped me into who I am and how I coach.

HS -- Don Dravis (MN HOF coach -- look him up) or Novard "Skip" Nalan (2x NCAA Champ for Xichigan - coached my dad at Grand Rapids HS in MN -- the stories I heard about him made this choice easy).

College - John Smith or Cael Sanderson

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on August 17, 2020

Thanks for the kind words Jim. My competitive career is so far removed. As a coach you are somewhat limited by who you were coached by. I am going to shift the question to coaches I would like to coach with or learn from in no particular order. ( wish I could take off a season and just travel around the state and spend a few weeks with these guys.

Greg Urbas
Jim Heffernan
John Gramuglia
Dave Riggs(I spent one year at Perry, would like to have spent more)
Chad Dennis
Frank Baxter
Erik Burnett
Todd Haverdill
Dick McCoy
Erik Toukonen

Club Coaches
Miron, Askrens, The Strittmatters, Kulczyski

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on August 18, 2020

I was around lots of good coaches in high school growing up in Northeastern Ohio and later as a Coach in Central Ohio. Here are a few guys I think I would have liked to have wrestled for and why:

Jeff Berkebile, Louisville-I worked out at Louisville a lot in the offseason because they had really good guys around my weight, good coaching, and always made me feel welcome. Berk's assistant was Ben Stoffer who was an alumni of my school (St.Thomas Aquinas). Those guys ran tough workouts but weren't afraid to joke around and have fun. Amazing that Berk is still at it and having a ton of success.

Dom Disabato, Hilliard Davidson-I always felt like he had a bond with his guys and took an interest in their schooling, discipline and other areas. Some people would see him yell at guys or get in their faces and misread the situation. He was able to that because of the time spent and because they know he had their backs and would fight for them. I always felt like his guys wrestled hard for 6 minutes and had a lot of fight, which is a direct reflection of their coach.

Lenny Ball, Marion Franklin/Lakota-I coached in the Columbus City League for years and spent my first few years coaching against Lenny's Marion Franklin teams. Many people recognize the success he had, but it's hard to understand some of the challenges of coaching inner city unless you have been their. His record of success getting guys to the state tournament and on the podium for decades is nothing short of amazing. In addition one of the classiest and most humble people I have met in the sport. Helped and mentored my brother and I both as young coaches, when we were coaching against him, trying to beat him.

Other Central, Ohio Coaches who I really admired are: Mark Marinelli, Shawn Andrews, Dave Grant, Bob Stoll, Brian Nicola (I am somewhat bias), Derek Oney, Steve Ayers and Felix Cateline.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 18, 2020

Tony Digiovanni.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on August 19, 2020

Mike Milkovitch
Best coach I did wrestle for Jim Kalin

Roe Fox added to this discussion on August 19, 2020

Jr. High: Joe Yost. Primarily coached football with limited wrestling knowledge but my brother wanted me to go out in 7th grade. He was the only coach available. Big mistake waiting to start until sophomore year. If I had another chance I would do it.

H.S.: Ferguson or Buxton. Ferguson struck me as being a lot like Barger. Maybe not the technical wrestling guys but committed and motivated. Maybe Bob can describe this better than me. Buxton because I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a Blair kid out of position or gassed at the end of a match.

College: Gable or TR. Gable because just the mystique of being involved in the moments where he talked you into doing what you thought you couldn’t do. TR because I respect his life as a human being and he always seems like no matter what he puts them through, there frequently seems to be a levity to his nature. Suffer but enjoy it.

And because I didn’t start when my smarter big brother told me to I suffered and usually didn’t enjoy it.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 20, 2020

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

" H.S.: Ferguson or Buxton. Ferguson struck me as being a lot like Barger. Maybe not the technical wrestling guys but committed and motivated. Maybe Bob can describe this better than me.

Buxton because I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a Blair kid out of position or gassed at the end of a match."

...GOOD ANALYSIS ROE

July 2018 AmWrNews, i talked about my top 8 hs coaches of the last 30 years. Impossible to be accurate. Controversial but fun and informative, provocative.Excerpt:

Buxton Ruled
In my 2012 AWN article on coach Jeff
Buxton’s resignation at Blair Academy, I said
“Though this reporter didn’t always see eye to
eye with Jeff in recent years, I too will miss him
when the snow falls, fans gather in gyms, and it
comes time to wrestle the best against the best.”

I went on, “Jeff Buxton was possibly the most
intense high school wrestling coach this reporter
has ever dealt with. His technical knowledge
was superb, his teams always prepared to be not
only better on the mat, but also tougher mentally
than the opposition.”

I am not going to once again list his
fantastic record at Blair frankly because
everyone knows it and a lot of fans are weary
of hearing about a private school. Blair cost
St. Eds a handful of mythical national titles.
Mighty St. Eds didn’t beat Blair in a tournament
or dual Buxton’s last five years though their 17
year rivalry was fiercely contested.

Suffice it to say Jeff Buxton put more talent on the mat in
two decades than any high school coach ever.
Fans know the solitary focus in the Cliff Keen
commercial, the laser stare from the chair, the
constant ref challenging, so intense, that was
him. Today he is one of USAWR’s top coaches
and in more demand than ever. A complex man
indeed, but no doubt in my mind a great coach
at any level. That’s how he attracted so much
talent.

for complete article email me ohiobobp@aol.com

► Add to the Discussion