Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Colt Sponseller new Head Coach at Ashland University
John Drumm added to this discussion on November 24, 2020

This was press released yesterday, but may be old news to some of you.
Congrats to the new HC and Ashland! Excellent choice for AU!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jared Ball added to this discussion on November 25, 2020

That’s a pretty darn good hire. D1 AA. D1 coaching experience. Ohio ties. What’s not to like. Notre Dame has had some pretty well established successes. I’d love to see Ashland consistently compete for a title as well. One thing I’ve never understood is why we haven’t seen Ohio have more D3 success. Why is that? Too many schools? Watered down rosters?

Roe Fox added to this discussion on November 25, 2020

On its face this seems like a home run. Local guy, college standout. Any Ohio kid that wants to wrestle in college and get a good education now has another great option.

Jason Russell added to this discussion on November 28, 2020

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"That’s a pretty darn good hire. D1 AA. D1 coaching experience. Ohio ties. What’s not to like. Notre Dame has had some pretty well established successes. I’d love to see Ashland consistently compete for a title as well. One thing I’ve never understood is why we haven’t seen Ohio have more D3 success. Why is that? Too many schools? Watered down rosters?"

Jared,

Having coached at the D3 level for a few years(we are now NAIA) my opinion is that quite a few good Ohio kids used to not look at the D3 level. I coached at Wisconsin Whitewater for 2 years, and the Wisconsin Schools regularly had state champs and multiple time high placers come right out of high school because there was only one d1 option and one d2 option.

I do think that the OAC coaches currently have started to crack the code. Baldwin Wallace and Mount Union are seeing a lot of success and get Ohio State champions on their team. John Carroll also does a great job landing solid kids. I do believe, looking at the results Mount Union and Baldwin Wallace are now perennial national powers and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Heidelberg, Ohio Northern and John Carroll are all solid and my friends at Muskingum and Wilmington are building those programs as well.

I guess my point is, I think this is starting to change!

Jared Ball added to this discussion on November 29, 2020

That’s awesome to hear

► Add to the Discussion