Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Gabe Tagg in portal
Liam Bateman added to this discussion on February 3, 2021

This would be a huge pick up for the bucks. The kid has an amazing attitude and work ethic. Seems to be improving every year, not sure where his ceiling is. I think we have seen enough of Jordan to know he’s incapable of pushing through to the next level, whether it’s lack of effort or just a mental glitch, either way it’s time to look elsewhere.
If we are going to compete with the Iowa’s and Penn States of the world we are going to have to start doing a better job of prospected these kids.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 3, 2021

Hmmm...

Following.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 3, 2021

Problem is, Tagg has been at 141 this year. We already have D'Emilio & Echemendia at that weight, can he get back down to 133?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 3, 2021

According to wrestlestat he has never wrestled 133 and all of his matches have been at 141.

He is 1-1 this year with a win over NC States backup.

I believe he does have a win over RBY in freestyle.

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on February 3, 2021

He wrestled 61kg and had some impressive wins, including RBY. If he can make 134lbs, I’m assuming he could make 133lbs. Maybe a nice addition to the RTC?

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on February 3, 2021

On Sunday against Maryland, the announcers made reference to Jordan being rather large for a 133. That piece of analysis perfectly aligns with Jordan gassing about the middle of the 2nd period. I’m not ready to give up on him, I just think he’s not at his optimal weight. That said I’m all for more depth.

Quote from Liam Bateman's post:

"He wrestled 61kg and had some impressive wins, including RBY. If he can make 134lbs, I’m assuming he could make 133lbs. Maybe a nice addition to the RTC?"

I think that was in 2019 and a couple of weigh ins opposed to making weight weekly and sometimes 2 days in a row.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 3, 2021

Not only did he beat RBY, but he pinned him. There is a youtube video out there with the match. I wonder why he's leaving the NC program?? Let's hope he's homesick.

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"Not only did he beat RBY, but he pinned him. There is a youtube video out there with the match. I wonder why he's leaving the NC program?? Let's hope he's homesick."

He said on Twitter it’s for personal reasons and has nothing to do with UNC.

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on February 4, 2021

Quote from Mark Cummings's post:

"On Sunday against Maryland, the announcers made reference to Jordan being rather large for a 133. That piece of analysis perfectly aligns with Jordan gassing about the middle of the 2nd period. I’m not ready to give up on him, I just think he’s not at his optimal weight. That said I’m all for more depth."

Agreed. But it’s not just the gassing in the mid to late rounds, it’s the struggles on bottom and top that blows my mind while compounded by low percentage shot finishes. These guys weights are in Steibers wheel house, meaning 133-141 respectively. It would seem safe to say they are receiving proper technique, so where is the disconnect? Effort? Ability? It’s a mystery why year after year we deal with sub par mat work. Plus, if Decatur can’t finish early shots on 133 pounders how will he finish on guys up at 141?
On a bright note, Malik magnafique!! In a year where 125 is wide open, aside from the buzzsaw that is Spencer Lee, it’s encouraging to see him excel.
PS Ethan smith is the hardest working man in throw business.
Go bucks

Alex Creech added to this discussion on February 4, 2021

"

"On Sunday against Maryland, the announcers made reference to Jordan being rather large for a 133. That piece of analysis perfectly aligns with Jordan gassing about the middle of the 2nd period. I’m not ready to give up on him, I just think he’s not at his optimal weight. That said I’m all for more depth."

Agreed. But it’s not just the gassing in the mid to late rounds, it’s the struggles on bottom and top that blows my mind while compounded by low percentage shot finishes. These guys weights are in Steibers wheel house, meaning 133-141 respectively. It would seem safe to say they are receiving proper technique, so where is the disconnect? Effort? Ability? It’s a mystery why year after year we deal with sub par mat work. Plus, if Decatur can’t finish early shots on 133 pounders how will he finish on guys up at 141?
On a bright note, Malik magnafique!! In a year where 125 is wide open, aside from the buzzsaw that is Spencer Lee, it’s encouraging to see him excel.
Go bucks"

The announcers also mentioned that Ryan and staff are working on building him back up mentally. He seems to have lost lots of confidence in himself.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 4, 2021

"

Go bucks"

If he is too sucked down it could be why he doesn’t finish shots..and other issues. Going up may be the ticket but who’s out then? In general I am just surprised at the seeming lack of progress. Great kid. Hope he follows the Kaleb path and turns it around. Both great athletes. Kaleb has made it work.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 4, 2021

"

Go bucks"

While all the other factors mentioned could play a part I think the largest factor is the D1 college wrestling is brutal and even elite recruits take time to adjust. We as Ohio State fans have become accustom to guys coming in and competing for AA immediately but that's not the norm. Some guys take a couple years to adjust and develop. Malik is the the prime example of that.

John Drumm added to this discussion on February 5, 2021

Scott,
Tactfully stated. Well done! It puts things in perspective.
I would've been tempted to use the word "spoiled" instead of "accustom" at least speaking for myself.

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on February 6, 2021

Quote from John Drumm's post:

"Scott,
Tactfully stated. Well done! It puts things in perspective.
I would've been tempted to use the word "spoiled" instead of "accustom" at least speaking for myself."

Spoiled? You’re either young or talking about Ohio state football.
Since Tom’s arrival on campus the team has had a different feel, aura if you will. He has a special ability to connect with student athletes, actually all people. No doubt it comes from his relationship with Jesus as shown to him through the Holy Spirit, but as omnipotent as the trinity is they’re not helping our mat work. Tripod and up. Tripod and up. Where is that Stieber kid any way? Remember when Taylor tilted him at iron man his freshman year? Only time that’s ever been done. That’s who’s spoiled us! God bless him for it as well.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next