Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Two Unrelated Questions
Luke Moore added to this discussion on March 7, 2021

1. Is Spencer Lee the most dominant college wrestler of all time? I know there have been guys who have run through their opponents, but not like this, right?

2. Why are the "tarp" mats still being used in international wrestling? It seems weird that a normal, flat mat can't be used in place of a wrinkly surface. While it helped Burroughts today, his Indian opponent seemed to get his heel caught and trip while backing up at the edge of the mat.

#themoreyouknow

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 7, 2021

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"1. Is Spencer Lee the most dominant college wrestler of all time? I know there have been guys who have run through their opponents, but not like this, right?

2. Why are the "tarp" mats still being used in international wrestling? It seems weird that a normal, flat mat can't be used in place of a wrinkly surface. While it helped Burroughts today, his Indian opponent seemed to get his heel caught and trip while backing up at the edge of the mat.

#themoreyouknow"

1. No — three career loses takes him out of that top spot - imho.

2. No clue. People who run wrestling seem to be pretty stubborn (see OH State tournament).

Brady, I see your point about Lee, but I imagine my questions should have been related to the most dominant season(s).

Ben Watson added to this discussion on March 7, 2021

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

"1. Is Spencer Lee the most dominant college wrestler of all time? I know there have been guys who have run through their opponents, but not like this, right?

#themoreyouknow"

1. No — three career loses takes him out of that top spot - imho.

2. No clue. People who run wrestling seem to be pretty stubborn (see OH State tournament)."

Spencer actually has 5 career losses. Bresser, NATO, Rivera x2, ands Piccininni. This isn’t meant to be a “got ya” but only to further bolster your opinion. That said, he sure looks other wordly the past two years.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 7, 2021

Quote from Ben Watson's post:

"Spencer actually has 5 career losses. Bresser, NATO, Rivera x2, ands Piccininni. This isn’t meant to be a “got ya” but only to further bolster your opinion. That said, he sure looks other wordly the past two years."

Forgot about Bresser and the 2nd Rivera loss.

And yes, these last two are freaky. The argument of most dominant individual season ever is a case that can be strongly made.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 7, 2021

theres a few guys whove had ungodly winning streaks and numbers of pins. Ben Askren comes to mind, 80 or so wins in a row, at least 30 PINS in a row.

others i will have to ponder, its a tiny list.

At the time, I thought Retherford was about as dominant as I could remember. But he was not on the level that Lee currently is!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 8, 2021

"At the time, I thought Retherford was about as dominant as I could remember. But he was not on the level that Lee currently is!"

true but how strong is the 125 weight class? Guys whove beaten Lee somewhere in a major match have moved up a wt or two-- Rivera, Daton Fix, (even Desanto) --but i get your well made point.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 8, 2021

Instead of talking about Spencer Lee, maybe we should be talking about Gable Steveson? Lee is dominating a modest group of competitors (not his fault). Steveson just pounded a very good Mason Parris.

I think Gable v Snyderman would have been a helluva match.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on March 8, 2021

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Instead of talking about Spencer Lee, maybe we should be talking about Gable Steveson? Lee is dominating a modest group of competitors (not his fault). Steveson just pounded a very good Mason Parris.

I think Gable v Snyderman would have been a helluva match."

Could Gable win the Hodge? 285 tougher than 125. Gable just majored a Junior World Champ, with ease.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 9, 2021

Quote from Freddy Carr's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Instead of talking about Spencer Lee, maybe we should be talking about Gable Steveson? Lee is dominating a modest group of competitors (not his fault). Steveson just pounded a very good Mason Parris.

I think Gable v Snyderman would have been a helluva match."

Could Gable win the Hodge? 285 tougher than 125. Gable just majored a Junior World Champ, with ease."

He definitely could. I was most impressed by him out of any of the champs. #freakshow

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 9, 2021

1. I think you could make a strong argument that Spencer is up there in terms of domination. Yes he has taken loses, but domination is different from winningest wrestler. Cael won all of his matches, but I doubt he bonus’d at the rate Spencer has. Zane, Logan, Askren, Taylor and company were pinning and point scoring machines in terms of bonus and dominance. I think what separates Spencer from that group is the singular focus of his technique. Ben was so creative in his ability to score and pin his opponents. Logan was utterly machine gun like with his leg attacks and top game as was Taylor. Zane was just menacing on his feet and brutal on top. The thing about Spencer is that everyone knows exactly what he’s going to do...And there is nothing...you...can...do. I can’t say that I’ve ever seen, at least since the early 90s, someone that elite at one or two things.

2. Tarp mats are stupid. But I think it’s financial.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 9, 2021

Cael bonus’d at a freakishly high rate. His finals opponents resumés are outrageously impressive also!

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 10, 2021

I think that’s what gives me pause. I’m not sure he’s Russell the same caliber of competition that a lot of these other guys have.

► Add to the Discussion