Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks Recruiting
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on November 16, 2022

Kilkeary has signed officially. Ethan birden of Dublin Coffman has also committed. More of a room guy in the 2024 class.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 16, 2022

what weight is Birden?

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on November 16, 2022

No real clue, but not so sure that Birdan is or should be viewed as a "room guy".
And honestly, I guess I've never been enamored with that term/label.

Birden looks about as athletic as one gets, may have some true upside.
Lost 1-0 last year in the state finals to Purdue commit Joey Blaze, who I think is a highly-ranked recruit.

Link to video is below.

To save you some time, it was a total scramble-fest, no scoring in the first, Blaze escaped in the second, Birdan chose neutral in the third (Blaze is a hammer on top), had Blaze in big trouble a time or three in the third, but Blaze held on for dear life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWofoXF6phY

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 16, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"what weight is Birden?"

Currently slated to wrestle 157 but I honestly believe he could get as big (thick) as 174/184. He's tall and still lean. Although, he may end up being a thinner body type which would keep him in the 165/174 range.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on November 16, 2022

Right now I would view him as a depth guy with potential. He may have some upside and I wish him all the best but it is very tough to make this buckeyes lineup. All American is almost the expectation at every weight class or they will keep recruiting over you.

He is honorable mention on flo at the 160 weight class and number 80 in the junior class overall.
His most recent tournament went 1-2 at super 32 losing to two unseeded wrestlers.
At ironman got 6th place losing to blaze 5-1 last year.
He grew from 144 last year so not sure if he’s done growing or what weight he ends up. Ironman is just a few weeks away so maybe he can make a splash there.

Here are Ohio states starting lineup by overall recruit rank
Malik top 40
Mendes top 5
Demilio top 20
Sasso top 5
Paddy top 5
Kharchla top 5
Smith number 53
Romero top 10
Hoffman top 10
Tate top transfer portal guy

Birden is number 80 in this class. He can develop and get better sure. But just look how hard it is to make this lineup. He would make a great part to half d1 lineups but if Ohio state wants to win national championships they are going to absolutely fill every weight with the best recruit possible or transfer.
Decatur, Gonzales, hepner, jordan, quinner, other Decatur, are recent guys ranked higher than Birden that couldn’t make the lineup.
Every once in a while you find a diamond in the rough like kollin Moore. That is only bc Moore never had national exposure and wrestled a small school schedule. Birden pretty much wrestles everywhere.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on November 23, 2022

Ryder rogotzke number 20 in this years class according to flo has decommtted from navy. Staff made a strong push at him at the end and looks like Ohio state could be in the running. They are seeing Geog as a 197 and see him as a 184 for the future. Haven’t seen him in action but from what I heard is a big move offensive exciting wrestler.

Here is a write up from flowrestling from his original commitment. Seems like a wrestler with a lot of upside

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/7334093-ryder-rogotzke-has-made-his-college-decision

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on December 10, 2022

I was absolutely wrong about Birden. Kid is absolutely tough an I got to see him first hand at Ironman. Beat penn states kid sealey (world champ) and very impressed. I got to meet his dad this weekend and a funny story is he was a diehard Wolverine fan. Michigan was about the only big ten school that didn’t reach out to him. Worked out for buckeyes! He is an extraordinary athlete and can absolutely be a success in the d1 level.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 10, 2022

Nick: Love the insights. Thanks

Perhaps Birden is another diamond in the rough (thiking Geog and Moore)

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on December 12, 2022

Rogotzke commits. I really like this pickup. Read the article I posted earlier on this kid. Fills the 184 hole.

Ohio state needs to look at Brandon cannon 138 senior from Colorado. Met his father this weekend and his story is unbelievable. Has had some very serious health problems basically the last couple years and just finally is getting back on the mat. Beat bouzakis and number one Bailey. He didn’t receive a ton of offers yet but I’m sure his phone is blowing up after this weekend. Could fill in that 149 hole if he gets a little bigger. He does have Columbus Ohio ties as Columbus is where he got his treatment at childrens nationwide. I found an article and it’s a good read. Please Ralph, tom, jaggers get on the phone with this kid!

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/7194267-the-pulse-is-brandon-cannon-the-comeback-wrestler-of-the-year

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on December 12, 2022

Happy to see the Rogotzke commitment.

Birden is a junior currently wrestling 157. He really impressed me this weekend and gives me optimism he can come in and be a factor in a couple years. Bucks will be thin at 157 in a couple season, maybe Birden is the one who can hold it down?

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on December 12, 2022

157 is probably out of the question for Birden. More like 165 or bigger even. He went up two weight classes this year so he is still getting bigger. Don’t see him wrestling the same weight in two or three more years. He’s not going to beat Rocco so he probably needs to go 165 ot get really big and go 184 and battle Shumate and rogotzke. For the buckeyes 165 would make the most sense which he can take over after paddy is done.

Area of need now are going to be 149, 157 and 125. Upper 5 weights are all set along with 133 and 141 for the next four years.

John T Taylor added to this discussion on December 14, 2022

Cannons parents are also both Ohio State Graduates. He also spent a lot of his youth living in Ohio before they moved to Colorado. I agree they need to get this kid.

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Rogotzke commits. I really like this pickup. Read the article I posted earlier on this kid. Fills the 184 hole.

Ohio state needs to look at Brandon cannon 138 senior from Colorado. Met his father this weekend and his story is unbelievable. Has had some very serious health problems basically the last couple years and just finally is getting back on the mat. Beat bouzakis and number one Bailey. He didn’t receive a ton of offers yet but I’m sure his phone is blowing up after this weekend. Could fill in that 149 hole if he gets a little bigger. He does have Columbus Ohio ties as Columbus is where he got his treatment at childrens nationwide. I found an article and it’s a good read. Please Ralph, tom, jaggers get on the phone with this kid!

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/7194267-the-pulse-is-brandon-cannon-the-comeback-wrestler-of-the-year"

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on February 4, 2023

quote="Nick Lecklider"]Rogotzke commits. I really like this pickup. Read the article I posted earlier on this kid. Fills the 184 hole.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/7194267-the-pulse-is-brandon-cannon-the-comeback-wrestler-of-the-year[/quote]

I am quoting myself bc I think the coaching staff listened to me. Boom!!! I am excited about this kid!! He officially committed!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 4, 2023

Nice pick up. Cannon has some funk and some hips. There's a lot of upside here.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on February 5, 2023

Cannon is a senior wrestling at 138 this season. I’ve gotta think they want him to eventually go 149?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next