Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks Recruiting
Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 2, 2022

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"Agree about Geog and Bucks lineup could be pretty damn good in a few years. Welch is 2023 recruit but added him in. I hope Bucks are in on younger Sasso he is having a fantastic year and will only get better.

133- Nic B.
141- Mendez
149- ?
157 Paddy
165 Carson
174 Geog
184 Welch
197 Shumate
285. Feldman"

I’m betting it looks like this
22-23
125- Malik
133- Gonsalez
141- D’Emilio
149- Sasso
157- Paddy
165- Carson
174- Smith
184- Romero
197- Hoffman
285- Tate

23-24
*this is going to be a tough call. You’ll have D’Emilio as a fifth year, Sasso as a sixth, paddy as a third, Carson as a fifth, and Rocky as a sixth. Versus, all these studs coming off of redshirt. I’m assuming they clear the books with everyone that’s not a legit title threat.
125- Kilkeary/ other
133- Gonsalez/ Bousakis
141- D’Emilio/ Bousakis/ Mendes
149- Sasso/ Mendes
157- Paddy
165- Carson/ Paddy
174- Carson/ Geog
184- Welch
197- Shumate/ maybe a Sonny Sasso type
285- Feldman
I think realistically there is a possibility that we see Paddy and Carson slide up at some point. Both wrestled high school weights heavier then they are now. That’s tough to hold for four or five years. It’s also probable that some of the super recruits end up heavier.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

"Agree about Geog and Bucks lineup could be pretty damn good in a few years. Welch is 2023 recruit but added him in. I hope Bucks are in on younger Sasso he is having a fantastic year and will only get better.

133- Nic B.
141- Mendez
149- ?
157 Paddy
165 Carson
174 Geog
184 Welch
197 Shumate
285. Feldman"

22-23
125- Malik
133- Gonsalez
141- D’Emilio
149- Sasso
157- Paddy
165- Carson
174- Smith
184- Romero
197- Hoffman
285- Tate

23-24
*this is going to be a tough call. You’ll have D’Emilio as a fifth year, Sasso as a sixth, paddy as a third, Carson as a fifth, and Rocky as a sixth. Versus, all these studs coming off of redshirt. I’m assuming they clear the books with everyone that’s not a legit title threat.
125- Kilkeary/ other
133- Gonsalez/ Bousakis
149- Sasso/ Mendes
157- Paddy
165- Carson/ Paddy
174- Carson/ Geog
184- Welch
285- Feldman
I think realistically there is a possibility that we see Paddy and Carson slide up at some point. Both wrestled high school weights heavier then they are now. That’s tough to hold for four or five years. It’s also probable that some of the super recruits end up heavier.

133- Nic B.
141- Mendez
149- ?
157 Paddy
165 Carson
174 Geog
184 Welch
197 Shumate
285. Feldman"

22-23
125- Malik
133- Gonsalez
141- D’Emilio
149- Sasso
157- Paddy
165- Carson
174- Smith
184- Romero
197- Hoffman
285- Tate

23-24
125- Kilkeary/ other
133- Gonsalez/ Bousakis
149- Sasso/ Mendes
157- Paddy
165- Carson/ Paddy
174- Carson/ Geog
184- Welch
285- Feldman

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on March 7, 2022

IMO Shumate is not going to make it at the division 1 level. He clearly peaked two years ago and has steadily went down in the rankings since that time. He was beating Feldman in the Ironman finals that year. Now he is losing district title matches. Could be burnout, injuries or something else but clearly a lot of wrestlers have caught up and passed him these last two years. Luke geog is the kind of prospect you want to see. Always improving and still hasn’t hit his ceiling. I believe geog will probably be the 184 of the future but need another option at 197. Maybe transfer portal or another recruit. Just wouldn’t go all in on Shumate. Wish the best of luck to him and hope he is successful but recent results have not been as promising.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on March 7, 2022

What’s the scoop on Paddy? Didn’t see it mentioned but a few weeks ago he lose to a guy named Levi Haines 8-3 at the Edinboro Open.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 7, 2022

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"IMO Shumate is not going to make it at the division 1 level. He clearly peaked two years ago and has steadily went down in the rankings since that time. He was beating Feldman in the Ironman finals that year. Now he is losing district title matches. Could be burnout, injuries or something else but clearly a lot of wrestlers have caught up and passed him these last two years. Luke geog is the kind of prospect you want to see. Always improving and still hasn’t hit his ceiling. I believe geog will probably be the 184 of the future but need another option at 197. Maybe transfer portal or another recruit. Just wouldn’t go all in on Shumate. Wish the best of luck to him and hope he is successful but recent results have not been as promising."

I think Sasso’s brother could be the answer. #15 ranked 195 and is a Jr.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 7, 2022

Quote from Freddy Carr's post:

"What’s the scoop on Paddy? Didn’t see it mentioned but a few weeks ago he lose to a guy named Levi Haines 8-3 at the Edinboro Open."

Levi Haines is excellent and training at the NLWC as a high school senior. It was a closer match than score would indicate. Paddy was down 1 and took a risk late and ended up giving up 4. That said, Paddy's mat awareness in that bout was terrible as he was constantly backing up. Paddy is having the sort of season we saw out of Romero as a true frosh where he's winning but not impressively in open comp. Romero took several years to adjust but also got a lot better when he moved up to 174 (and got healthy). Paddy remains a work in progress.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on March 7, 2022

Thanks for the context, Hank! Didn’t see the match or make the connection that Haines was the HS recruit (headed to Penn State…).

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

"What’s the scoop on Paddy? Didn’t see it mentioned but a few weeks ago he lose to a guy named Levi Haines 8-3 at the Edinboro Open."

Levi Haines is excellent and training at the NLWC as a high school senior. It was a closer match than score would indicate. Paddy was down 1 and took a risk late and ended up giving up 4. That said, Paddy's mat awareness in that bout was terrible as he was constantly backing up. Paddy is having the sort of season we saw out of Romero as a true frosh where he's winning but not impressively in open comp. Romero took several years to adjust but also got a lot better when he moved up to 174 (and got healthy). Paddy remains a work in progress."

Paddy was actually winning by 1 and gave up a late TD and Haines ended up in a turk position and Paddy gave up the late backs. Paddy almost scored a TD at end of 2nd. Haines has hammered some good kids this year.

"

Levi Haines is excellent and training at the NLWC as a high school senior. It was a closer match than score would indicate. Paddy was down 1 and took a risk late and ended up giving up 4. That said, Paddy's mat awareness in that bout was terrible as he was constantly backing up. Paddy is having the sort of season we saw out of Romero as a true frosh where he's winning but not impressively in open comp. Romero took several years to adjust but also got a lot better when he moved up to 174 (and got healthy). Paddy remains a work in progress."

Paddy was actually winning by 1 and gave up a late TD and Haines ended up in a turk position and Paddy gave up the late backs. Paddy almost scored a TD at end of 2nd. Haines has hammered some good kids this year.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 7, 2022

What really stung in that match there was only 20 seconds left in the match when Paddy got taken down.
OUCH! Haines was being ridden but escaped at the 39 seconds left mark. I mean the kid is a HS phenom, but Paddy let the match slip away. But that is why he is RS this year, live & learn.
I guess next year a lot will depend on if Smith and/or Romero come back. Sammy and Kharchla could move up a weight, slip Mendez in at 149, Paddy at 165, who knows??

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on March 9, 2022

Don't be surprised if the Cleveland State Vikings take a stab at Shumate if the Buckeyes don't offer him any scholarship money. The Vikings have been making strides ever since Josh Moore took over. They even had their first MAC champion this season. I still think Shumate might be a good D1 wrestler and Cleveland could be just the place to make that happen.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 9, 2022

Christopher, hasn’t Shumate already signed with Ohio State? He’d have to enter the transfer portal for Cleveland State to contact him.

I’m still high on Shumate. He’s lost some matches but only to studs.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 9, 2022

"

That said, Paddy's mat awareness in that bout was terrible as he was constantly backing up. Paddy is having the sort of season we saw out of Romero as a true frosh where he's winning but not impressively in open comp. Romero took several years to adjust but also got a lot better when he moved up to 174 (and got healthy). Paddy remains a work in progress."

your comment a bit puzzling to me Hank, Paddy had benefit of St Eds coaching, room and great schedule, a 3 year starter, was a Fargo guy too.--- Romero did not have as many benefits & and was a 3 sport guy so his journey is understandable to me... gotta be more to it?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 10, 2022

Bob: Good question. I don't know. I'll offer a few thoughts. I think Paddy was able to overwhelm high school opponents with pace, pressure and power but D1 opponents are much more physical. Again, Paddy had a successful redshirt season in terms of wins and losses but one didn't see the type of dominance expected out of such a high level recruit. We are all rooting for him to be a standout for the Bucks. Let's hope he's able to have a productive offseason in terms of development.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next