Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Discussion Topic: Ohio RTC: Is the Plane Going Down?
Ben Golden added to this discussion on May 21, 2021

https://twitter.com/TheNJRTC/status/1395871332685033474?s=20

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jared Ball added to this discussion on May 23, 2021

I guess you can’t lose what you never really had. Training at a facility for a couple of days doesn’t categorize as being sponsored by an organization. I’m sure once the pandemic hit the ORTC had to make some major adjustments. Cutting ties with J’den was probably a no brainer. That leaves the ORTC with two senior level guys...Kollin and Amir Dhesi. Is Canada qualified at heavy yet? The rest of the training center make up will consist of college guys. I feel like right now you have three RTCs fueling the senior level team. Nittany Lion (for obvious reasons), Penn (who is stacking a pretty deep contingent), and NJRTC (has been making lots of splashes in the last two years). The senior level team consists largely of Nittany Lion guys and then individuals from throughout the country (Carolina, Cornell, Minnesota).

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 23, 2021

I think fundraising is the critical element to RTC success. Bucks have struggled since getting the Covelli center up and running. Is that coincidence or did the energy required to fundraise for the facility cause trouble with the RTC? I have no idea. The irony of course is that the new facility was supposed to make Columbus more attractive to collegiate and RTC recruits. That has not yet been the case. Bucks recruiting has been hit and miss since the halcyon days of Snyder, Nato, BoJo, Myles, Micah, etc...

Jared Ball added to this discussion on May 25, 2021

One other thing I’ve noticed, where are all the Buckeyes in the Junior and U23s world trials? Gavin Hoffman is the only Buckeye starter who has and is competing this off season. The Koontz brothers are also in the U23 field for Greco. Now that you mention it I don’t see Iowa or Penn State guys registered for either field as well. Interesting

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 25, 2021

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"One other thing I’ve noticed, where are all the Buckeyes in the Junior and U23s world trials? Gavin Hoffman is the only Buckeye starter who has and is competing this off season. The Koontz brothers are also in the U23 field for Greco. Now that you mention it I don’t see Iowa or Penn State guys registered for either field as well. Interesting"

Tom Ryan made a statement shortly after the end of the season where he talked about the team working strictly to get ready for next year. He acknowledged they needed a lot of work on mat wrestling specifically. The implication was that they were not going to focus on freestyle.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on May 27, 2021

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"One other thing I’ve noticed, where are all the Buckeyes in the Junior and U23s world trials? Gavin Hoffman is the only Buckeye starter who has and is competing this off season. The Koontz brothers are also in the U23 field for Greco. Now that you mention it I don’t see Iowa or Penn State guys registered for either field as well. Interesting"

For what it's worth, the Koontz brothers and Nick Boykin have made the finals of U23 Greco.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on May 30, 2021

Hoffman finished 3rd at 97kg. He looks shredded. J Aiello walks through the field with Hoffman giving him his closest match at 5-0

Jared Ball added to this discussion on June 4, 2021

Coach Stieber tweeted the arrival of two Ohio RtC athletes to the program. Bastian Kimball out of Utah Valley joins former teammate Tate Orndorf in Columbus. Kimball was a multiple time qualifier out of UVU. The other is journeyman Evan Henderson straight from the Spartan wrestling club. Hendo made some real senior level leaps under the Cornell staff and served as a major training partner for Yanni. While I don’t think he is in the upper echelon of contenders at 65kg, I kinda really like this pickup for the Bucks. D’Emilio, Enchemendia, Decatur, and Sasso will further benefit from having a very solid competitor in the room. Sneaky good pickup.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 4, 2021

Good observation Jared. Henderson is a seasoned vet and can be of benefit to the guys in the room particulary Sam Sasso.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 5, 2021

Yeah Henderson is a decent pick up.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5