Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Spencer Lee
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 25, 2021

When watching him at BT's and NCAA's, I kept thinking he wasn't moving well. Of course, now we know why.

I have immense respect for his abilities and accomplishments but wonder, with his history of knee injuries, if he's through? If not, it's difficult to imagine he'll ever be a force beyond college. And, if so, what a shame.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 25, 2021

I noticed his post match interview took on a different tone than usual. He seemed mad and frustrated, not the typical Spenser. I was surprised he even mentioned the ACL issue, usually guys keep that stuff to themselves. Did anyone else sense a different Lee?

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I noticed his post match interview took on a different tone than usual. He seemed mad and frustrated, not the typical Spenser. I was surprised he even mentioned the ACL issue, usually guys keep that stuff to themselves. Did anyone else sense a different Lee?"

Yes. Imagine being one of the greatest high school and collegiate competitors in history and you've got two blown out knees. You're probably feeling discouraged.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 25, 2021

Can Lee claim a spot on the Olympic team given his injury? He'll have to get through Gilman, Fix and others. I wouldn't rule it out.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on March 25, 2021

I'm hoping Lee's injury isn't as serious as originally reported. (Torn ACL) Staying optimistic he can get on the mat for WTT as I think he'd be the USA's best shot at a medal at 57kg, if healthy.

There is no way he is going to be able to compete with any of the 3-4 best guys at 125 in freestyle. I agree that a healthy Lee might have been #1. This is his 3rd significant knee injury. Hope I'm wrong but I think his career is in jeopardy. Honestly, I think a Nate Tomasello caliber opponent would have easily defeated him at NCAA's.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 25, 2021

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"There is no way he is going to be able to compete with any of the 3-4 best guys at 125 in freestyle. I agree that a healthy Lee might have been #1. This is his 3rd significant knee injury. Hope I'm wrong but I think his career is in jeopardy. Honestly, I think a Nate Tomasello caliber opponent would have easily defeated him at NCAA's."

Agree. I think Pat Glory or Vito Arujau would’ve given him a real go also.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 25, 2021

And yet Lee's talking about returning to college wrestling next year. Why? To win four titles, I suppose, but it won't change his status as an all-time great.

I hope if he does come back it'll be on a Kyle Snyder plan where he participates in only a few matches before the postseason.

Get healthy, young man.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 26, 2021

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"There is no way he is going to be able to compete with any of the 3-4 best guys at 125 in freestyle. I agree that a healthy Lee might have been #1. This is his 3rd significant knee injury. Hope I'm wrong but I think his career is in jeopardy. Honestly, I think a Nate Tomasello caliber opponent would have easily defeated him at NCAA's."

Agree. I think Pat Glory or Vito Arujau would’ve given him a real go also."

No question.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 26, 2021

Spencer will not be going to Olympic trials next week

Jeff Reid added to this discussion on March 26, 2021

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"Spencer will not be going to Olympic trials next week"

Yup, he just tweeted about it. https://twitter.com/LeeSpencerlee36/status/1375492882954649601

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 26, 2021

Class words. I wish him well with his recovery.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 26, 2021

Spencer has been wearing that huge brace on the left knee throughout his college career. I'm not sure he even used a knee pad on the other leg, until we saw him with a support like he wears under the big brace, now also on his right leg in the 1st match at NCAAs. I noticed that immediately and thought that was interesting?

I commented when he only won his second round match by a miserable 10 points against a guy he would probably tech in the 1st period any other time, sarcastically of course, that something was amiss.

I didn't think he was finding his offense against Schroeder because of familiarity and didn't put much thought into it.

In the finals match it was obvious something was not right. Spencer doesn't dance with other wrestlers to feel them out. He bangs on the them, moves them around, and puts them on the mat. He grinds that parallel ride and works wrist control to get a bar or a tilt. He effortlessly rolls the best guys in the world around the mat, but he was physically struggling in the finals match. He moved the kid around and forced a mistake the moved him on by for his takedown. But there was no aggressive attacking. He looked antalgic out there, but he is "Spencer Freakin' Lee".

He absolutely should not compete in the trials. He indicated in his interviews that BOTH ACLs were torn. If he wants a shot at a senior level world freestyle title and Olympic title, he has to get healthy. Even "Spencer Freakin' Lee" is not winning the USA Team spot, let along the Olympics with both legs tied behind his back.

Is his career over? He didn't leave his shoes in the middle of the mat, so he certainly doesn't think so. He has to get healthy and then train smart to protect those knees while maximizing his further development to be a world champion. If anyone is capable of it, you'd think it's "Spencer Freakin' Lee", but that is predicated on everything going right with the repairs and his healing and rehab.

I'm a complete Spencer Lee homer. The 1st time I saw him wrestle as a kid, my immediate thought was, "This kid is better than Logan Stieber, maybe way better." I still believe that and it is no slight at all to Logan. I hope his knees are not the rate limiting step that prevents us from seeing him achieve some even greater things. High level competition (and the associated training) is brutal and unforgiving, even for "Spencer Freakin' Lee."

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 26, 2021

If NATO could beat Lee, Logan definitely could.

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on March 26, 2021

Is this a Hawkeye site now?
I’ve never seen an easier bracket in my life.
The last title he won he beat a guy who didn’t AA this year.
I don’t remember Logan or Nato getting cradled up and stuck during their time in college.
Blah, blah, blah.
Next time start a thread that says,
Sammy Sasso.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next