Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: David Taylor - Olympic GOLD MEDALIST
Ben Golden added to this discussion on August 4, 2021

Taylor wrestles in the Olympic finals tomorrow! What a momentous occasion.

I remember when I first became aware of him: 2006 State Duals. My school wrestled Graham in the first round (obviously we won... kidding). I was a senior in high school and remember seeing a tiny kid that looked like a grade schooler step on the scale, and his friend say something like "how do you do it?!" and they both laughed, as he weighed something like 101 pounds.

I wasn't paying much attention to Ironman at that point, so I didn't know he was a big deal, but one of my teammates knew. My assessment from looking at him was that he would be easy to overpower (for someone--not me as I was much heavier). I don't recall who the poor sap that had to wrestle him on our team would have been, but I believe it was a brief technical fall.

After that, I learned more and more about him, and throughout his career began to realize just how special he was.

First 4x Ironman Champ. An incredibly dominant college career that is destined to be undervalued in history due to the fact that he "only" won 2 titles.

And now, he's been one of the most dominant wrestlers in the world since 2017. Tech-falling his way to the Olympic finals, where he will face the amazing Yazdani-Charati, whom he has beaten twice before.

Truly one of the best wrestlers in American history. Hats off to David.

Last edited by Ben Golden on August 5, 2021; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 4, 2021

Very special competitor. Best of luck to him.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on August 4, 2021

I remember watching him as a 6th graderish play "artful dodger" with the 103, 112, 119 lbers at Jordan's, using their momentum and power against them to create obscenely impossible angles.

And how about that Taylor/Palmer match? :)

Jack Muni added to this discussion on August 4, 2021

Did anyone see the Maroulis semi? I thought it was unusual to see a second call for passivity that put Maroulis on the clock for a second time that led to a 2-0 lead for the Japanese girl. Then when the Japanese girl was put on the clock it was too late to overcome that second passivity point. No one scored a TD the entire match and Helen walks away the loser 2-1.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on August 5, 2021

Ahhhh! OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 5, 2021

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"Did anyone see the Maroulis semi? I thought it was unusual to see a second call for passivity that put Maroulis on the clock for a second time that led to a 2-0 lead for the Japanese girl. Then when the Japanese girl was put on the clock it was too late to overcome that second passivity point. No one scored a TD the entire match and Helen walks away the loser 2-1."

Helen got hosed. It's unfortunate. But she came back for bronze. Adeline Gray also had a nice tourney but got sloppy in the gold match.

Thomas Gilman looked excellent en route to bronze.

Dake got smashed by a red hot Belarus wrestler but got pulled back in to repechage.

Steveson has been amazing and is wrestling for Gold today.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on August 9, 2021

The image I will take away from this Olympic cycle will be David Taylor, bleeding, his singlet shredded with the flag above his head and a look of pure joy on his face. To me it represents really all the wrestlers that went out there and put everything they had on the line.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 9, 2021

Quote from Mike Stann's post:

"The image I will take away from this Olympic cycle will be David Taylor, bleeding, his singlet shredded with the flag above his head and a look of pure joy on his face. To me it represents really all the wrestlers that went out there and put everything they had on the line."

Amen.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 9, 2021

amen halleluiah

let us reminisce with this classic, the legendary Brian Brakeman on the call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Hdu-D7o_Q

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 9, 2021

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"amen halleluiah

let us reminisce with this classic, the legendary Brian Brakeman on the call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Hdu-D7o_Q"

"When he (D.T.) gets big and strong, nobody's gonna touch him in my opinion". -- Brian Brakeman

He was right.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 10, 2021

Stieber vs Taylor was spectacular. A future 4x NCAA Champ and World Champ vs a 2x NCAA Champ, World Champ and Olympic Gold.

Of course, Stieber's coaches paid homage to the Ohio State program by putting him on bottom to start the third...

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 10, 2021

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Stieber vs Taylor was spectacular. A future 4x NCAA Champ and World Champ vs a 2x NCAA Champ, World Champ and Olympic Gold.

Of course, Stieber's coaches paid homage to the Ohio State program by putting him on bottom to start the third..."

"homage" well said Hank, lol

ive seen so many coaches do it though, theyll tell u "we always get our 1", its in their wrestling bible. ...i recall at the Reno T of C in 1996--- in the Quarters--- Cael Sanderson chose down on Joe Heskett, that was all she wrote, Heskett by tilt 3-2

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 10, 2021

Well, Logan learned how to wrestlenin bottom against the best. How many times did he struggle on bottom in college?

John Drumm added to this discussion on August 11, 2021

Brady,
I believe Logan struggled 1 time on the bottom against a freshman Zain Rutherford at Rec hall, but reports were that Logan was ill during the match (and if you remember the match, it didn't appear like Logan had much energy during his match)

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on August 12, 2021

I remember during their senior years in HS when fans debated whether Taylor deserved the No. 1 ranking over Eric Grajales. It was a worthy debate, although unbiased observers could tell Taylor was the superior competitor.

Knowing what we know now about Taylor and Grajales, the debate was laughable.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next