Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: big 10, pac12, ACC alliance
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 24, 2021

will the new Alliance being announced right now help or hurt wrestling? i see major impact maybe more programs?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 24, 2021

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"will the new Alliance being announced right now help or hurt wrestling? i see major impact maybe more programs?"

First thought is that it seems to be of benefit to wrestling as all three conferences have programs. I like the gist of this alliance.

Bob--I'd love for you to elaborate on how it might impact wrestling.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 24, 2021

Is it me or is this just removing conference affiliation? I could be wrong. Willing to be corrected.

Personally I like conferences.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 25, 2021

right now this alliance exists to ensure SEC doesnt take over football policy, to have a voice in future planning-- but also in mens and womens basketball.... AND to support the Olympic sports.

im optimistic it might spread wrestling to schools like USC, UCLA, Clemson, Florida St, Duke, Utah eventually because the Big Ten and ACC have it and aren't giving it up. Its a marquis sport here.

Of all the sports that a Alliance college might add i see wrestling as most desirable-- when UCLA looks at all the wrestling power in the Big 10/ACC schools why wouldnt they want to share in that?? California is a wrestling state AND its an Olympic sport powerhouse state.

Brandon Gambucci added to this discussion on August 26, 2021

Just to say it - Wrestling is already at schools "like Duke", BTW!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 26, 2021

Quote from Brandon Gambucci's post:

"Just to say it - Wrestling is already at schools "like Duke", BTW!"

my bad on Duke... but to my point theres plenty room, and potential, for expanding the sport in the Alliance.

These schools will all be re-visiting the non-revenue sports they don't have that are otherwise prosperous elsewhere in the Alliance. Stanford helped a lot.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on August 29, 2021

I agree that this decision had absolutely nothing to do with anything other than money and football specifically. At face value I kinda feel like this will have minimal impact on wrestling. Higher level programs from each of these existing conferences already schedule non conference duals with each other. It would be pretty sweet if they did some sort of ACC, Big Ten, PAC 12 challenge like they do in basketball. Outside of that I do not see this helping to expand wrestling in either the ACC or PAC 12. Maybe I’m being a pessimist, but the PAC12 has already dropped several programs in the last two decades, and admitted schools that aren’t full fledged members in terms of the sports they offer. I’m looking at you Utah. I still contend that wrestling should eventually look to institute a system of regional qualifiers just like the other divisions do. The model to follow is basketball.

► Add to the Discussion