Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. Virginia Tech - November 19th
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 17, 2021

My thoughts…

125 – Malik Heinselman v. Sam Latona – What a great match to start the preview out. Latona was the 2 seed at NCAAs last year and finished 6th. Malik was seeded 10th and went 1-2. I favor Latona, especially at home, but a Malik win would not shock me here.

OSU 0 – VT 3

133 – Dylan Koontz v. Korbin Myers – This is a match that Koontz needs to keep close. Myers was the 3 seed last year and finished 4th. I hope he can hold Myers to a decision here, but I’m not counting on it.

OSU 0 – VT 7

141 – Dylan D’Emilio v. Sam Hillegas/Collin Gerardi – Rumor is that Decatur is done for the year as he had foot surgery, so D’Emilio gets his spot back. Neither VT wrestler is a returning NCAA qualifier. I think D’Emilio gets right back on track and picks up a controlled decision for Ohio State.

OSU 3 – VT 7

149 – Sammy Sasso v. Bryce Andonian – Andonian was the 6 seed, won his first two and then lost his next two. Sasso was the runner up. I think Sammy controls the match, but with Andonian’s penchant for going for big moves, a stick by Sammy wouldn’t surprise me.

OSU 6 – VT 7

157 – Jashon Hubbard v. Connor Brady – Brady was the 27 seed at NCAAs last year and went 0-2. Hubbard looked good against O’Connor, getting a takedown and in great position for a reversal, and then ended up flat on his back. He didn’t wrestle this past weekend, so I wonder if he is injured. If so, Isaac Wilcox is probably the starter. Maybe Kevon Freeman. All three are close in ability to me. I think Brady, the Ohio native, squeaks out a decision.

OSU 6 – VT 10

165 – Carson Kharchla v. Clayton Ulrey – Neither wrestler has competed at the NCAA tournament. I think Kharchla is the favorite, but his results from OIC weren’t inspiring. If he wrestles like he did against UNC, I see another major here.

OSU 10 – VT 10

174 – Ethan Smith v. Mekhi Lewis – WOW!!!!! Smith, returning 6th place finisher at 165, and Lewis, national champ at the weight in 2020. If Lewis is healthy, which all signs point to, he is the favorite, but I think Smith will push him. This will be a 1 takedown match in the third. I think Smith gets in on a shot to tie, and Lewis counters/defends at the buzzer.

OSU 10 – VT 13

184 – Rocky Jordan v. Hunter Bolen – Bolen was the 5 seed and took 5th last year at NCAAs. Jordan was the 24 seed and went 3-2, including a 7-3 loss to Bolen in the bloodround. I see that result repeating itself.

OSU 10 – VT 16

197 – Gavin Hoffman v. Cody Howard – Howard was the 27 seed at NCAAs last year, at 174. Up two weight classes, we’ll see if he’s strong enough to make the jump. Hoffman has looked much improved this year. Bonus points aren’t out of the question, but I’ll call for the decision.

OSU 13 – VT 16

285 – Tate Orndorff v. Nathan Traxler – Orndorff was the 21 seed last year, but finished 8th, beating the 12 seed and the 7 seed along the way. Traxler was the 25 seed, and he lost in the bloodround, knocking off the 10 and 15 seeds along the way. Complete toss up, but I think Tate comes up big and ties this match up.

OSU 16 – VT 16

I guess in a match between teams ranked 8th and 9th, you would expect it to be close. Lots of things could swing this one way or the other. OSU could conceivably win at 125, 157 or 174. VT could win at 141, 149 or 285. Bonus points at any weight will be HUGE!!!!! Hopefully Niemann can bring the Buckeyes some luck and fortune!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 17, 2021

Good analysis Jason. Amazing how the depth at 141 suddenly boils down to one guy. Assuming D'Emilio is the starter, I like the odds that he rapidly improves.

I'm all in on Heinselman. I think he's an outstanding wrestler who improved tactics and added size during last season. I'm taking him to send a message at 125.

I'm also impressed with this year's version of Gavin Hoffman. Solid D and better O make him more dangerous. I like him to earn bonus in this bout.

I loved Andonian in high school and am impressed with his collegiate success. But if you start scrambling around with Sammy Houdini, you're going to end up losing. Sammy has an uncanny understanding of positional wrestling. If Andonian comes out throwing haymakers, he'll end up getting stuck.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 17, 2021

I just hope we win a match.

#GoBuckeyes

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on November 17, 2021

If Hubbard is out could we see Hepner here since he beat Wilcox last weekend 4-2 to win Intercollegiate tournament. Wilcox beat Freeman 7-2.

Hoffman better be ready to wrestle 7 minutes because Howard is non stop.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 18, 2021

Just saw the probable lineups and Hepner is listed at 157, Koontz at 133. Good time to see what Hepner can do against tough competition. You gotta think they want to RS Gallagher, which is fine with me, given this years team situations.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 18, 2021

I don't think Hepner and Brady were ever in the same weight class in high school. Brady has always been a middle weight while Hepner has worked his way up.

Looks like the match is on ACC Network Extra and maybe on ESPN+.

I could easily see either team winning. Can't wait!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 18, 2021

From the VT website...

Lineup Probables
125: #12 Sam Latona, r-So v. #14 Malik Heinselman, Sr.
133: #4 Korbin Myers, r-Sr. v. Dylan Koontz, r-Sr.
141: Collin Gerardi, r-Jr. v. Dylan D'Emilio, r-So.
149: #9 Bryce Andonian, Jr. v. 2 Sammy Sasso, r-Jr.
157: #29 Connor Brady, r-So. v. Bryce Hepner, So.
165: Clayton Ulrey, So. v. #10 Carson Kharchla, r-So.
174: #4 Mekhi Lewis, r-Jr. v. #6 Ethan Smith, r-Sr.
184: #9 Hunter Bolen, r-Sr. v. #21 Rocky Jordan, r-Jr.
197: Dakota Howard, r-Jr. v. #24 Gavin Hoffman, r-Jr.
285: #14 Nathan Traxler, r-Sr. v. #7 Tate Orndorff, r-Sr.

Matt Schein added to this discussion on November 19, 2021

How is that match not on BTN? Two top 10 teams?

Britt Malinsky added to this discussion on November 19, 2021

Quote from Matt Schein's post:

"How is that match not on BTN? Two top 10 teams?"

Because it's in Blacksburg. Better question is, why is it not on the ACC Network. (although the ACC Network would do no good for those of us whom are Xfinity subscribers)

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 19, 2021

See if this link through ESPN will help:
https://www.espn.com/watch/catalog/99c32c26-2a57-3ec2-b14c-824684bd2e7f/wrestling#bucketId=29774&sourceCollection=Browse_By_Sport_New

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on November 19, 2021

I was sick worried about 125. Latona was so good last year. Huge TD and the danger 2 for Malik in the 3rd. What a great win for Malik over an AA!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 19, 2021

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"I was sick worried about 125. Latona was so good last year. Huge TD and the danger 2 for Malik in the 3rd. What a great win for Malik over an AA!"

Plenty of room on the Heinselman bandwagon.

I hate comments like this, BUT, it was a win that DK didn't give up bonus points to Meyers.

EDIT: I thought the final score was 9-2. It was 10-2. Soooo, he did give up bonus points :-/

Last edited by Patrick Campbell on November 19, 2021; edited 1 time in total

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"I was sick worried about 125. Latona was so good last year. Huge TD and the danger 2 for Malik in the 3rd. What a great win for Malik over an AA!"

Plenty of room on the Heinselman bandwagon."

Well you know I have been on that bandwagon. I watched Latona wrestle a lot of matches last year and he is just so strong and long. He will be battling for 3rd place again this year. And I do think Malik has developed into an AA calibur wrestler. B1G schedule alone is going to be a nightmare. He needs to do it this year. This was a great sign.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 19, 2021

I'm desperately trying to watch but haven't been able to get logged in to my internet provider account. Keep feeding me results.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next